Parents Question about pics at old club

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmama999

Proud Parent
My DD left her previous club over 6 months ago, we left on bad terms. (we had to pull her out due to abuse issues) Since then her pics, videos and even her results have been used to advertise the club on FB and their website. I understand the results as she was a member of that club and so I don't have an issue with that (although she does lol) but now after 6 months, I think they should remove any pics or videos. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions, I am thinking of a registered letter, possibly from our lawyer, what are my rights to these photos/videos?

Thanks everyone!

In the UK we have data protection laws which would prevent a club doing this without consent (which can be withdrawn at any time). Perhaps there is something similar in your jurisdiction.

From a personal viewpoint I think it would be ok to ask for removal of anything just featuring your DD but removal of anything featuring her as part of a bigger group is more problematic.

Might be worth just dropping them an email to ask them to remove photos and videos first before getting the big guns in. They might not even remember they are available (I know there are photos on our facebook and website of gymnasts who have left - it's just never occurred to me to take them down as they relate to the news story they are on there with!

They are the type that are doing it on purpose to attract athletes. They even advertise that coaches who have quit are still there so they will get their athletes. They hardly answer parents emails when their kids are there and paying. I know an email is not enough.

I have taken the high road on everything but this is really bothering me.

I know our gym has rights to use photos they take of my kids - we signed a paper giving permission to use the images. If we leave, they would still have the right to use the photos if they want. Go back and check if you signed anything like that. If so, I think you are probably out of luck.

My twins who are now 14, are both still on the website of their first gym, which we left 11 years ago. I find it hilarious that they have not updated pics in over a decade. My son is on the homepage and my DD is on Staff page with 2 coaches also no longer there!!

We have a similar situation where my dd was used as the club's "poster girl" and keeps appearing on flyers and in newspaper ads etc - have wondered whether to put a stop to it

My DD left her previous club over 6 months ago, we left on bad terms. (we had to pull her out due to abuse issues) Since then her pics, videos and even her results have been used to advertise the club on FB and their website. I understand the results as she was a member of that club and so I don't have an issue with that (although she does lol) but now after 6 months, I think they should remove any pics or videos. Has anyone else had this problem? Any suggestions, I am thinking of a registered letter, possibly from our lawyer, what are my rights to these photos/videos?

Thanks everyone!

simple. a cease and desist from your Attorney will suffice. don't even bother to give them a cordial phone call. i know who they are and they won't listen. :)

We have a similar situation where my dd was used as the club's "poster girl" and keeps appearing on flyers and in newspaper ads etc - have wondered whether to put a stop to it

yes, British law is not much different. get a Barrister and do the same as above. they are not legally allowed to do what you have described.

laws have changed in England, Canada and the US in regards to photos of underage kids of any kind and their likeness.

and that is correct, 2G1B. :) you can't "permission" away the rights of your minor children any longer.

Just went and looked at my website, I haven't seen it for years as one of my parents is my webmaster. Surprised how good it looked! :) However, I saw lots of pictures of my girls that are long gone. I've never had anyone mention a word about them, but if they did, I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to remove them if that is what they wanted. I think getting an attorney, causing more hard feelings, and wasting good money before you even give them a chance is a little extreme, but only you know. One email can't possibly hurt, but it could sure help. Not to mention, a good attorney would probably tell you to do that first anyway. Good luck.

Just went and looked at my website, I haven't seen it for years as one of my parents is my webmaster. Surprised how good it looked! :) However, I saw lots of pictures of my girls that are long gone. I've never had anyone mention a word about them, but if they did, I wouldn't hesitate for one minute to remove them if that is what they wanted. I think getting an attorney, causing more hard feelings, and wasting good money before you even give them a chance is a little extreme, but only you know. One email can't possibly hurt, but it could sure help. Not to mention, a good attorney would probably tell you to do that first anyway. Good luck.

yes, with reasonable people. like i said, i just happen to know where this is. they'll need an Attorney....

^^I'll take your word for it, as you apparently know these people and the situation, but I have to tell you, I find that more than sad that someone could or would be like that. It's just senseless. :/

I'm guessing based on the brief back story here that these gym owners aren't reasonable. In that case direct contact sounds like a bad idea. It is hard to imagine because I'm sure most of us are in the same situation where we don't immediately take down pictures of kids that left to go do soccer. And I think there is a chance this is an oversight, no matter what went down. The website just isn't a huge priority day to day. If they have been posting them recently then I would assume its intentional. But either way, it sounds like direct contact is a bad idea so I guess a lawyer is your best bet. You might be able to get legal aid from a local law school clinic, some of them have programs for families of moderate means.

Oh Dunno, you make me laugh "Cease and desist" yes you do know who this is! I am still laughing. Calling the lawyer...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back