Parents Ramblings of a nervous Mum

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

F

Fliptwisttumble

In 6 weeks' time, DD will compete at her first "real" meet as she calls it. For the past two years, she has competed a few times, but no scores were given out, no firsts, seconds, thirds, etc. They got a certificate, with a gold, silver, or bronze, but it didn't reflect placement, it reflected a range in which her score landed.

Until recently, I've thought this was a good thing. She was able to get used to competing, but did not have to worry about the scores. However, this first meet is a national qualifier so it is a big deal. She is quite intelligent, so she is aware of the magnitude of this. She knows that she needs to make the top 6 to qualify, she knows that on some events she "just" has the bare minimums to compete, that there will be girls a year ahead/ older than her competing, some of whom may have a lot of bonus skills she doesn't, raising their scores or potential scores significantly. There's a chance there will be 6 or less competing, but then she says she doesn't want to be last and with that many everyone will know.

She is starting to stress, and thus I am starting to stress (I likely would have stressed anyways, but I digress). She is just now starting to get her beam routine, hasn't started her floor routine, hasn't heard her music. Her layout full isn't as consistent as she'd like. She works her tail off every single day, and desperately wants to do well. She has told me she will be crushed if she doesn't make it, but at the same time she (and she gets it from us) has been of the opinion that to compete at a lower level just to win isn't right - it wouldn't mean the same. We have told her that we are so proud of her for how hard she works, for just for being able to "be" where she is at her age, that competing at this level should be the reward in and of itself. But it isn't good enough for her, so I don't know how to help her.

If you got this far, thanks for reading. I'm not sure anyone can actually help her or me, but it feels better getting it off my chest.

"Becoming a parent is to decide forever to let your heart roam around outside your body" - author unknown. Sometimes being a mom is just hard. Kids worry and hurt and we can't "fix" it.

Keep telling her how much you love watching her 'do her thing'. With your support as her rock she'll survive and thrive, even when the lessons are tough.

HUGS and GOOD LUCK!!!!

Well, if we all didn't obsess over these things, there probably wouldn't be a Chalk Bucket, but sometimes "worse case scenario" thinking helps. Without getting into injuries (which are, of course, the true worse-case scenario) I might say, to a child who is stressing out about this, "what will happen if you don't make the top 6?" Well, she'll go back to the gym the next day, keep working hard, and try again next time. The world will not end. She will not be a better/worse gymnast than she was the day before. It will not lessen all of the accomplishments she has achieved in gym so far (which sound sizable). Her family, friends, and coaches will not love her any more/less. She will be in good company because many/most girls will not be in the top 6. Thinking about those things sometimes help put things in perspective. Let us know how she does! Good luck to you both!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back