WAG random gymnast age question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think our team in general falls into a pretty common pattern.
L3: 7-11yo (I don't think there's anyone under 7 or over 11, I don't know them all)
L4: 7-13yo, fairly spread out over the ages (2 7yo, 2 8yo, 3 9yo, 3 10yo and so on up to 1 13yo)
L5: 10-12yo
Don't know if we have anyone competing L7, I think they all went to L8...L8-10 range from one 10yo to sr in high school.
So we do have one very young girl competing a higher level (I'm not entirely sure if she's competing 8 or 9, I have heard both) but the rest seem to be fairly common overall ages. A couple of the younger L4-5s will certainly be on track to skip levels, but most won't.

We very rarely have anyone training level 8, and anyone who has done so has been a mid-teen at the time. We are one of those gyms that is limited due to equipment - the gym just doesn't have the resources for a pit, for example. We rely on spotting and stacks of mats. There is one 10 (almost 11) year old girl who is training to compete level 7 in April, and also uptraining for level 8. She is now working on level 8 vaults, tumbling and beam series. She may make it to level 8 by the time she is 12 - she has the raw talent, though it still needs a fair bit of refining (especially the dance elements). That is young for us here.

Typically optionals have been teens, except for the odd exception who may have been 11 or so. Our level 1 team is 6 - 8 years old - our coach doesn't even allow kids in rec until they are 6 (before that it's kindergym). The kid would have to be exceptional to be invited on team or in rec before age 6. Because of this we don't have very young lower level team members, which leads to not having very young optionals.

Our geographic area has relatively "older" gymnasts at each level. The kind of gyms that put out several 12yr old level 3's, for example.

There are 2-3 notable exceptions locally. These are the more intense training gyms with a record of college/elite alumni.

Our gym falls somewhere in the middle. There are very young gymnasts for their level, and a few older ones for their level, that are encouraged to uptrain and move quickly through lower levels to "make up for lost time," but it doesn't always work out that way.

L3 - Age 6-10
L4 - Age 7-9
L5 - Age 7-11
L6 - Age 8-10
L7 - Age 8-12
L8 - Age 9+
L9 - Age 11+
L10 - Age 12+

I agree that those that tend to seek out CB will skew the data when it comes to what age at what level is normal.

The point I was hoping to make is there are gyms that move kids slowly because they want them to take 4, 5, or 6 years to go from pre-team to and out of L5. The logical extension of a 5 year journey through 3 compulsory levels is they likely repeat L7 at least once and L8 a minimum of once but most likely two times. That adds up to a child who starts with pre team at 6 will move into L7 at age 11 and likely move to L8 at 13, and possibly to L9 at 15 or 16.

The ability of these kids to move up is seriously hampered because the intention on the part of the gym owner is to avoid L9 and above for economic reasons, so figure a wishful kid has an outside chance of getting to where their peers at gyms with a deeper commitment to optional training. I think there's a valid need for all types of programs, and the slow and steady gym fits for some kids, and not for others.

I've posted often and with great conviction that a child of 10, 11, and 12 can do amazing things in a program where they are challenged and there dreams are no longer dreams, but possible reality. I've seen it go both ways for some pretty talented kids, like a 10 year old training skills that were 4 years behind a moderate L10 that went to a slow "laid back" gym, and ended up as a 15 year old L10 with skills that were decent back when she was 10 years old, but not so much at age 15. I've also seen 10 and 11 year olds with L7 skills get to L10 by the time they were 13 and 14 years old.

Geez, I've even seen a kid with 6ish years of low key gym experience decide at the age of 12 that she had a heck of a lot left in the tank. This gal spent a final year at her gym as (sorry to be vague but it was way back) a level 7 or 8 before moving to a high quality program, and went on as all american multiple times.

I never meant to give the impression a child was limited by being at x level at z age. Just saying it can't be done at a club with a standard practice of having kids repeat on a regular basis.

That's all

So if I have a 12 year old (6th grade) LVL 4 at a gym that does skip levels and has a pretty good optional team (levels 7-9 20+ members). We are not the most hard-core gym in the area, but competitive, especially in optionals. The reason she is LVL 4 is she just started recreational gymnastics about 3 years ago, is college gym possible? Last year they had the LVL 5s who were ready score out of new five and I would not be surprised if the same thing happened this year.

Her current plan (dream) is to be a Gator :). She is getting to the age where I think having candid conversations with her about the reality of this makes sense. Is D1 not an option and she should think about D2 or D3 as the best bets? Or has her ship sailed and NAIGC(?) is her option? This sport is so odd....I am actually asking if a 12 year old is washed up!

@ollieblueeyes I'm not a coach but I do have some experience with division 3 gymnastics. I was a level 9 for three years and I did make a division 3 team. I never ended up competing due to an injury, but I would have definitely competed one event my first year, and then probably two events for the years after that. I was a strong gymnast on two events and my other two I had level 9 skills but college gymnastics goes by level 10 rules. So ideally the college coaches do like to have level 10s, but they accept some 9s as well. I only know about the division 3 colleges that are on the east coast, but this is what I have seen with most of them.

It really depends how fast she moves through the levels and what division 3 college she would be looking at. Every coach has a different philosophy. Some would take her if she had one strong event that could contribute to the team, but others may want two or three strong events. The one division 3 school I was looking at was graduating a lot of gymnasts so the year I would have came in they really needed gymnasts. The coach said I would have basically been competing 3 or 4 events (and while I could have added another skill to my beam routine to make it a level 10 beam routine, I would not have been great by any means). That was two years ago so it is probably different now for that team.

I don't know anything about division 2 and 1 gymnastics, only that it is much harder to get onto the team than division 3. I'd say depending on how many years your daughter spends in level 9 division 3 would be the best bet for her. If she makes it to level 10 for a year or so, maybe she could do division 2. If she does not make it to level 9, then she definitely would not be able to compete for a d3.

Good luck!

In our region there are a few younger kiddos, but most are older than 9 at level 8...in fact at state the youngest age group for level 8 is usually 8-12, and comprises less than 10 kids total. Our gym tends to be on the younger side of things if a kid is in the "system" from the get go - but I think thats coaching plus starting competition at new level 4. Most kids repeat at some point - usually at least once in levels 7-9 and often at their first level. Rare to completely skip, but occ. kids do 2 levels in one calender year (DD did). Moderate amount of uptraining but not as much as a high level program would have - just not enough professional coaches and time in the gym.

DD HC has sent 2 level 10s to D1 schools, and has had multiple level 9-10 athletes - in our small town/small state....some were 4 years in level 10, some one - the 2 who are at D1 schools went different paths - one never repeating until level 10, then 3 years there, one repeated SEVERAL levels along the way, and only had 2 years at level 10....and our most "promising" 12 year old level 10 with elite abilties quit to be a "normal teen"....

All this is to say that IF a gym/coaching team has the equipment and experience to train higher level gymnasts and a kid wants it, the path isn't closed at age 9 if they are still a compulsory gymnast....maybe not olympics, but for the 99.999% of gymnasts out there, that's not the path they are on anyway.

What's more, many kids simply do not have the "option" of training somewhere that will focus in such a way that they can follow that path -

I will say that there is a difference between the "older" optionals at DD gym and the "younger" - Older being 13+, younger are all 10+ this year....and if I were to bet, I would guess that it will be the younger ones who make the jump to level 9-10 skills more quickly...sometimes because they are the ones who never or rarely had to repeat, and sometimes because of fear issues. But there are a few 14 year old level 7s who just keep plugging along - 2 years to get giants, but beautiful now...and I wouldn't put level 9-10 out of their reach just yet!

I figure this forum is for those with exceptional kids trying to find the "right" path, those with time on their hands, and those busybody mom's like me that research everything under the sun and simply like to know as much about what their kids do as possible....

There were 0 8-9 year old level 8s in my state for the past two years. The youngest age group was 10. There have been a handful of 9 year olds ever. Gabby Douglas was an 8 year old level. 4 (the equivalent of level 3 today) and then a 10-11 year old level 8.

There were 0 8-9 year old level 8s in my state for the past two years. The youngest age group was 10. There have been a handful of 9 year olds ever. Gabby Douglas was an 8 year old level. 4 (the equivalent of level 3 today) and then a 10-11 year old level 8.
===
I have only had one true 9 year old level 8 so far in my duration of coaching (9 the whole season). Sounds great right? well,,, at state she got put in with all the 10 and 11 year olds and got destroyed with a 36.2, 22nd place..... Didn't get any better at regionals,, following year in level 9 same thing. So while it may be awesome to get a kid in a level early, it really has no emotional advantages for the kid, since even if they are capable and clean they still go up against the older ones. So to anyone out there pushing their kid to get into the higher levels at a young age,,,,, be careful what you with for..

I am pretty lucky with our setup here. DD is NOT put with 11 and 12 year olds for competition. She is in a category called Canadian Pre Novice, and it is for 9 and 10 year olds. After that is Novice National, for 11 and 12 year olds. So when she competes now, she holds her own and is against kids of her skill level.

It is only in one travel meet a year, when we go to the States, that she'll potentially be with older kids. And, she isn't a kid who focuses on placement, but rather focuses on how well she does her skills. At least, so far :)

Those younger levels at the optionals are really really tough. We have about 14 girls in our state that are 10-12 and if you aren't scoring 37 our aren't placing top 3. On the other hand the groups of 13-15 you can place with 33.

===
I have only had one true 9 year old level 8 so far in my duration of coaching (9 the whole season). Sounds great right? well,,, at state she got put in with all the 10 and 11 year olds and got destroyed with a 36.2, 22nd place..... Didn't get any better at regionals,, following year in level 9 same thing. So while it may be awesome to get a kid in a level early, it really has no emotional advantages for the kid, since even if they are capable and clean they still go up against the older ones. So to anyone out there pushing their kid to get into the higher levels at a young age,,,,, be careful what you with for..

Agreed. There are not enough kids this level and age. And many gyms will hold them in level 7. So there's even less. I personally think if the kid has the skills, they should do that level. But I don't think you need to push them to any particular level or age nor hold them back.

There is a wide range at every level at our gym. But my dds are 9 year old L4, and 13 year old L8. I don't consider them old for their levels, but they aren't young either.

My dd is a level 9- 10 year old.. I think this was a result of her being in the TOPS program... In our gym it is a wide varitey of ages in these level
level 8- 13-14 year olds
level 9 10- 16 year olds
level 10 15-16 year olds.

Keep in mind...If college gymnastics is the goal, year in school is more important than age. In order to get a scholarship for a D1 school you should be a level 10 by 9th grade. In this crazy time of recruitment most scholarships (75%) are gone by their Sophomore year. (check out collegegymfans.com for info on this.) You can be old for your grade or young and it only matters what your graduation year is. We had a girl at our gym who was really smart and had skipped a grade. So age wise she should have been the same as my DD but because she was in an older grade she wouldn't make level 10 until her sophomore year or later. Her mom actually considered holding her back a year in school. She ended up quitting a year later.

Same for my gym. DD is 9 and a L5; she has 2 L5 teammates who are also 9; the rest of the L5s are 12-13. We have no L6s. The 2 L7s are 13 and 14; the L8 is 14; we don't yet have any higher gymnasts yet (the gym is only about 6 years old). Our 14 year old L8 usually competes as a Sr. A, so I would guess that the average age for a L8 gymnast is much older than 8 or 9.

My dd is a Level 8 training 9/Hopes and she just turned 11. She is the youngest kid at that level at her gym. And she's not even that young. There are older kids than her on our Level 3 team. So, I don't think anyone should give up hope yet. She was in the youngest age group at the San Diego Classic, and I didn't see many that looked younger than her. I think younger is the exception, not the rule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back