WAG random gymnast age question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd is a Level 8 training 9/Hopes and she just turned 11. She is the youngest kid at that level at her gym. And she's not even that young. There are older kids than her on our Level 3 team. So, I don't think anyone should give up hope yet. She was in the youngest age group at the San Diego Classic, and I didn't see many that looked younger than her. I think younger is the exception, not the rule.
=
We were there too. :) What day was your daughter on?

It depends I think on your gym. Most of my DD's friends are around 8 or 9 years old and competing the new L4 this season. My DD started the day program at her gym last April so she has advanced very quickly. She scored out of the new L4 and new L5 at the same meet. She skipped L6 and has competed three meets at L7 so far this season as an 8 year old. She is probably not the norm though.

My DD started at age 6, she is now 8 years old competing L7. She's the youngest on her team although the other girls are also on the younger side between 9-11 years old. We moved gyms because her previous gym was holding her back. She was bored and I didn't want her to develop fear issues, so against what her former gym wanted we moved her to where they wouldn't hold her back.

It really depends on when your daughter started, how she has aquired skills, and the developmental program at your gym. My daughter started at age was 3, was picked out at age 4 to start training TOPs, and has skipped levels 4 & 6. She is now 11 competing at level 8. She did repeat level 7 because she developed some fear issues but is doing well now. Most of the girls on her team are 11 as well.

So I guess DD is a skipping example. She is an age 9, L8 example (or the approximate equivalent). But it may also be a result of our system in the younger years.

In Canada, you can't compete in the provincial system (so like USAG) until you are 9. Anything you do before then is invitational only, and there is NOT a focus on competing at young ages like there appears to be in the US. So the girls at the age of 7 do a meet, maybe a couple the next year, just so they know what competing is like. But they spend their entire time obtaining skills.

When she was 7, she competed in two meets within a month, at old L5. At age 8, three meets within 6 weeks at L7, without a giant. So you can see that for 11 months a year, she was just working new skills. This really allowed a kid like her to excel in the best possible conditions. Her peers (she trained with the provincial girls) would be working routines, as she started twisting on floor, doing saltos on beam, etc. And with few meets, there was little to no stress, and it was all LOVE LOVE LOVE..... achieving new skill after new skill.

This year she turned nine - completely different setup. Nine meets, running from November to May. But she is in a program that allows for the addition of bonus skills to her routines, so whereas she didn't start out with the maximum skills, as she gets them she is able to incorporate them. I see that the speed with which she gains new skills is slightly slowed, as more focus is paid to routines. But she trains more hours, which to some extent makes up for it.

She is definitely not the norm at our gym, and for her age is the only one at this level. But everyone who looks at her sees the same thing - a kid who was likely born to be a gymnast. She looks like Sigourney Weaver from Alien (yes, I'm dating myself) in the form of a 9 year old.

I agree with @Iwannabemargo if she was a rec gymnast, I likely wouldn't have searched out this forum, so the actual appearance of numbers of kids at this level might seem skewed.

Fliptwisttumble, your daugther is pretty talented. I looked at your videos to the see how Canada works. She's a beautiful gymnast.

WOW- IWC - that's incredibly depressing since you just described my kid. So, if I'm understanding you correctly, my 10/11 year old L7 should kiss her L10 dreams good-bye??

I was a 11 year-old old level 4 and of I dodnt get injured this would've been my 3rd year as level 9. If your daughter is determined she could definitely get to level 10.

Our gym is all over the place. Examples are girls from 6-13 on IGC copper, 7-14 on xcel bronze, and 9-13 on JO level 7. They try to get girls started early, with a preteam for 4-5 year olds, but allow older girls (my dd) to begin a competition track at any age really.

My daughter is 6. Started gymnastics one year ago. Competing right now at a level 3 and will begin training on level 4 this spring.

I am very new to all of this... It's been a bit of a whirlwind!

CameronSasmor96 - I just noticed your avatar. My daughter's team just took 1st place at Charity Choice last weekend (Level 3). :)

My dd just turned 11 and is a level 8. She started competing 3 years ago as an 8 year old level 4.... She started gymnastics at 7...the other level 8's at her gym are 10-11( all fifth grade though)

I've noticed the same thing on here... the girls are incredibly young. My DD is 10 (almost 11) and she is competing L5 and Xcel. The girls who are her level are all about the same age...

The parents of the younger higher level girls seem to be move willing to post their age and level. Make no mistake most girls are not at high levels.

People if I can share one thing of importance with you all, it's that gymnastics is a marathon and not a sprint!!!!!
My DD progression backwards is:
level 10(11th-7th grader)
Level 9(7th grade, one meet)
Level 8(6th & 7th grade)
Level 7(5th grade)
Level 6(4th grade)
Level 5(4th & 3rd grade)
Level 4(2nd grade)
Level 3(1st grade)
Moving up quickly is exciting but it is not everything. Don't sweat the small stuff:) if they still ove what they are doing in the gym, the levels and rate they progress is not important I promise!

My dd just turned 10 years old and is competing level 9! She did score out of level 6 at 7 yrs. and level 8 at 9yrs! To some children it comes natural and she is one of them. Although she struggled her first 2 meets, she has come on like gangbusters lately! The only thing I would say is, skipping levels deprive you of preparing all season for the next level, so you really have to be dedicated!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back