Parents Random observation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

MILgymFAM

Proud Parent
Reaction score
So now that we are approaching a month with ODD training at two gyms I have noticed something really weird.

At gym 1, her bars and beam and very consistent with hitting her skills. Her floor is staying the same as it always was. At gym 2 she is inconsistent on bars and beam, but her floor has vastly progressed. Some tips from gym 2 and vault is getting better at both.

I find it really weird that she can do bwo on beam 9/10 at gym 1 and only about 5/10 at gym 2. Same thing with kips. As for floor she can do robhsbhs and fhs ft at gym 2 but only robhs and fr at gym 1.

If she could marry this all up it would be fantastic! Ha ha ha. It all makes me a little dizzy, but she is happy and both gyms have fully accepted what she does.. Which is M/W at one and T/Th at the other..

Do you think that she is still adjusting to new coaching styles and/or equipment or will she likely progress unevenly the whole year?

I suspect some of what you see is higher expectation at one gym vs. the other, and much of the rest is a combination of quality of the coaching and the coach/gymnast relationship........ If she likes the bar coach at one gym.... well..... you know.

At least for bars, some part of it at gym 2 has to be equiptment. She is a good 3-4 inches taller than the tallest girl she trains with, and they have never yet put the bars to her settings. She has told me it make high bars kips hard because she can't really jump to high bar, she kind of just has to squat on and grab. They told her they will after states, that right now the girls need to be running routines on all bars. That's prob not all of it, but it also probably contributes to the mental part of it. The rest, yeah, you might be right. Gym 2 is the JO gym, so I would've expected the higher expectations (and they are higher) to make her floor progression slower, but weird situations beget weird results I guess!

I'm glad it's working out for her!!!

I find that when DD is with a certain coach on bars (who she loves), she doesn't do as well. When she's with another coach who she also loves, but who is harder on her, she does much better.
So sometimes higher expectations do yield better results :)

Out of curiosity, why two gyms? And are both gyms ok with this? Just curious! Still fairly new to this world! :)

Out of curiosity, why two gyms? And are both gyms ok with this? Just curious! Still fairly new to this world! :)

It's a long story, but... In a nutshell.

She started gym (rec) at 12, and was funneled into xcel bronze immediately. We didn't know anything about gymnastics or competition streams at that point, and they gave her a scholarship, so we went ahead without a thought. I began to research and saw the limitations of xcel for what came to be her passion, and after getting to know her better as a gymnast, they planned to switch her to usaigc (their other comp stream) the following season.

Then my hubby was transferred and we moved. We originally looked for a usaigc team for her at our new home, but there was literally none. Then we looked for a JO team and couldn't, at the time and in the short time we had to look for a gym, find one that would take such a new and old (and for some, tall) gymnast. So, we went back to xcel. Found a team and joined. Hours and tuition were great. Four weeks in I found out that (IMO) the coaching was completely unsafe and unsatisfactory (for xcel- thier JO coaching was completely different), and yanked her immediately. Found a second xcel gym. We went with it based on the attentiveness of the coach and her agreeance with DDs goals (test out or petition out of compulsories at 14).

The limitations of the new xcel team were that she could only have 6 hrs of training a week, xcel is considered rec and treated as such, and no privates allowed for xcel. So, she and I began to wonder how she would reach her goals by next summer. The idea crossed my mind to find a JO gym that would be willing to give privates to teach her the compulsory routines in case she would have to score out, and as a means of learning harder skills- her xcel team wouldn't be learning new skills till June. I sent out a few feelers and one gym offered to come have her train with their team, just without competing. Her xcel coach didn't care, she was hyped, and so we went forward. She trains xcel platinum (competing gold) 6 hours a week, and trains L5 six hours a week. Her hours doubled, she is exposed to the JO program, is learning the routines, and gets waaaay more conditioning than she would otherwise.

There are downsides, but overall I am still happy we did this. We will be moving again either summer '15 or '16 and I want to give her the best shot she can at jumping to JO when we do.

Whew! That was a lot, and didn't even cover my other DDs journey! Lol

It's a long story, but... In a nutshell.

She started gym (rec) at 12, and was funneled into xcel bronze immediately. We didn't know anything about gymnastics or competition streams at that point, and they gave her a scholarship, so we went ahead without a thought. I began to research and saw the limitations of xcel for what came to be her passion, and after getting to know her better as a gymnast, they planned to switch her to usaigc (their other comp stream) the following season.

Then my hubby was transferred and we moved. We originally looked for a usaigc team for her at our new home, but there was literally none. Then we looked for a JO team and couldn't, at the time and in the short time we had to look for a gym, find one that would take such a new and old (and for some, tall) gymnast. So, we went back to xcel. Found a team and joined. Hours and tuition were great. Four weeks in I found out that (IMO) the coaching was completely unsafe and unsatisfactory (for xcel- thier JO coaching was completely different), and yanked her immediately. Found a second xcel gym. We went with it based on the attentiveness of the coach and her agreeance with DDs goals (test out or petition out of compulsories at 14).

The limitations of the new xcel team were that she could only have 6 hrs of training a week, xcel is considered rec and treated as such, and no privates allowed for xcel. So, she and I began to wonder how she would reach her goals by next summer. The idea crossed my mind to find a JO gym that would be willing to give privates to teach her the compulsory routines in case she would have to score out, and as a means of learning harder skills- her xcel team wouldn't be learning new skills till June. I sent out a few feelers and one gym offered to come have her train with their team, just without competing. Her xcel coach didn't care, she was hyped, and so we went forward. She trains xcel platinum (competing gold) 6 hours a week, and trains L5 six hours a week. Her hours doubled, she is exposed to the JO program, is learning the routines, and gets waaaay more conditioning than she would otherwise.

There are downsides, but overall I am still happy we did this. We will be moving again either summer '15 or '16 and I want to give her the best shot she can at jumping to JO when we do.

Whew! That was a lot, and didn't even cover my other DDs journey! Lol
Wow! That's awesome. Good for her and good for you being such a supportive parent! It's amazing what we do for our kids, right?! Lol you sound like you're in a similar spot to us that we don't live anywhere near really high level training. It almost makes me feel guilty since my daughter is so motivated...we do what we can do though! :)

We do live near high training. Gym is huge here. High level training gyms aren't interested in people like my dd though. It IS amazing what we will do, or at least attempt to do...

We do live near high training. Gym is huge here. High level training gyms aren't interested in people like my dd though. It IS amazing what we will do, or at least attempt to do...
Well that's sad! But I'm glad you found a path that works for her! This whole gymnastics world is so overwhelming...but I've learned so much from my Chalkbucket friends. It seems like most are from big gymnastics areas, which makes sense. Just trying to figure it out up here in Central NY! :)

We lived near West Point about two years go. I absolutely loved NY- our home, my job, the weather... I miss it! Neither DD did gym then, but dance was pretty big!

We lived near West Point about two years go. I absolutely loved NY- our home, my job, the weather... I miss it! Neither DD did gym then, but dance was pretty big!
Yes! My older daughter does competative dance. We are in Syracuse, so a long way (4 hr I think?) from Westpoint, but it's still bigger up here than gymnastics is. It's very big in Albany (like 2 hr from here) especially tap. Older DD is not nearly as motivated as younger, so not sure if she'll stick with competition now that it's getting a lot more competative as she gets older, but we'll see! Glad to finally "meet" some other NYers :)

I used to live in Syracuse :)
I loved it there! Everything but the snow...
Uggggg wretched snow...yesterday was in the 60s though! Woo hoo! But I think that's about it for nice days this fall....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back