Region 8 Prep Op Championships

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All,
My daughter made it to Regionals. I thought I understood what that mean. As I was told that the top 6 gymnasts from state would go to regionals. Then as I begin to do my research, I see Team and Individuals. Could someone please explain to me how Regional Championships work in for Region 8. Does she complete individually or only as a team or both, etc? As you can tell this is our first walk in the woods with this.

Thanks
SCGYMMOM

First off, congratulations. The top 6 scores out of all sessions in a particular level qualify to regionals as members of the SC team. They compete against the other teams (top 6 athletes) from each state in the region in a special session at Regionals. The other PO athletes may attend PO regionals as All Stars or individuals. There is no minimum score to qualify as an All Star (to the best of my knowledge) and they compete with athletes in their same age division, much like the state meet.
Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Congratulations! Looks like you have a Florida vacation in your future! ;) Maybe you guys can help me. My younger daughter does prep op here in FL. They had states last week and after reading this I have some questions. According to other states guidelines, she has qualified to the state team, but her coach isn't aware of a state team (gold or otherwise for prep op) for FL. Looking at last years results, it doesn't seem that FL had a team. Do you know if they do? The FL USAG website only mentions the level 7 and up state teams. She placed in the top 6 of all sessions and I'd hate for her to miss out on the opportunity to rep her state, plus she's dying to go to regionals because your name goes on a big sign in the gym! :) thanks for any info!

No Florida regionals for Prep Opt and in fact, from what I understand, last year was the first year Level 7 went (at least for Florida)....I believe, from things I have read online, that "true" optionals are recognized at Level 8 but I really do not know about that last comment.

I can't answer the specific questions about prep-opt state teams and what not, but as far as regionals go, I think Region 8 is the only region (currently) holding a regional meet for prep opt and level 7. I think they did it for the first time last year.

I think Prep-Op Regionals is a wonderful idea!!! Hope it takes off in other parts of the country too!!! Good luck to your DD!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back