WAG Relieving general muscle soreness

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

htimcj

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Does any one have some good remedies for general muscle soreness after workouts? Poor DD gets so sore some times, especially when she starts a new skill. We try hot baths and massage from me. We have also tried icy hot to disastrous results. Ever tried to get that stuff off ?!?!

I'd love to know, too! I've had my own personal battle with Icy Hot ... yikes!!!

We use Traumeel cream or other homeopathic type remedies. You can get them from Whole Foods or 'natural' product stores or just order off Amazon. My DD also does Epsom Salt baths with essential oils for muscle soreness (eucalyptus, lavender, wintergreen, etc.)

I do some hiking. I remember the first time I did a longer one my feet were killing me. They were so sore So the next day it was even worst... decided to take some Advil. It felt like a huge relief once it was effective. I don't take it every time I hike, only for bigger ones, like 15-20 km for a couple of days in a row. Ibuprofen is anti-inflammatory, so it can be effective for soreness. Could be something useful when she is really sore, as it can be a bit irritating for the stomach. Also be sure the soreness isn't hiding an underlying injury!

I have friends who swear by ice baths. I just can't being myself to put my daughter in one. I guess if her pain was bad enough, I would.

Epsom salts baths. Do them after the workout, don't wait until the muscles have already got stiff and sore.

Massage with anti-flamme cream is quite nice for muscles, if you can get it there, or something like it (contains arnica, hypericum, calendula and peppermint).

My dd gets really sore in the muscles right between shoulders and neck (can't remember what muscle that is?) and I used arnica gel on her--it's a homeopathic rub that isn't harsh like Icy Hot. They sell it at Target, CVS. I guess it helps a little, but she seems to be sore in that particular spot a lot. Sometimes I find it disturbing that my 10 year old has a sore neck/shoulders, but it doesn't lead to a headache or anything yet, so I guess that's good!

my DD takes Alieve for any muscle sorness seems to work so she says.

I usually use some ice if it's swelling but try hot packs! They can help since taking a long hot/super-icy-cold baths often isn't practical and use up water and heat and whatever. Another is massage tools. I've seen those muscle massagers that are cylinder shaped, usually black or blue, and have lots of little "spikes" on them. Like these, sort of: Link Removed
You're supposed to roll them up and down over where you're sore and my coaches say it's supposed to break down the lactic acid or something.. :rolleyes: A rolling pin works pretty well too if you can't get one of those special massage tools.
On really painful days and/or before an important practice or meet, Advil can help but it hurts my stomach a lot, so be careful. Good luck!! :)

Thanks everyone! I think I will look into the rumbler roller. And try the other things as well. The soreness usually occurs when she works something new. This last week has been a front handspring layout/front handspring/bounder thingy :) that has made her sore.

I've heard good things about Arnica and have used it from time to time, but not consistently enough to know whether it really makes a significant difference. I don't think it's too terribly expensive, so it might be worth a try if nothing else seems to do the trick.
Aleve is good, but not for regular use, especially for a child.

A roller, as someone else has mentioned, is great. My other suggestion for general muscle soreness is drinking chocolate milk after the workout, it is a great recovery drink. Don't believe me, google it. Much cheaper than the fancy recovery drinks.

We use Epsom salt baths and arnica cream as others have mentioned. Arnica is a natural pain reliever that can be applied a few times a day. We get good results with it. Advil and Aleve seem like such strong drugs for 55 lb girls but sometimes we have to use them.

Arnica is always our first avenue for soreness especially if its localized. Epsom baths are for those days when everything hurts or is sore. Advil and Aleve are used when we think there might be a more serious problem/ minor injury but we usually continue to use arnica in these cases as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back