Parents Reporting injuries to parents..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As a parent, yes, I would want to know about a neck injury - even if it is just, "DD fell and says she hurt her neck. She seemed okay enough to carry on, but just letting you know so you can keep an eye on her."

That's exactly how it would play out at DD's gym, too. They are required to fill out paperwork for EVERY injury - including handing out a band-aid.

Don't worry about not knowing all the detail to tell a+e- they will understand. I hope it's all ok.

Thanks, Dd still wants to do gym on Tuesday, she will be devastated if they say no gym for a week or so. I am hoping that the worst they will say is that dd can carry on and just do limited stuff for a while, but if they say no gym then it is no gym.

If they say "no gym" do ask for clarification if she can still do stretches and things that don't cause pain. They'll probably want her in there doing the stuff that she can do and even just watching other stuff in preference to her being completely absent. She'll be happier with that too.

We were there by 10:45 and out by 11:15, she has ligament damage (Whiplash), she has been given two different lots of painkillers and cannot do proper gym, pe or dancing for at least a week. I have requested a meeting with dd's coach and see if they want her to do any sort of conditioning or have the week off, they are off the week later as coach is away and they have no cover, two weeks of no gym will kill her lol. I am still telling dd off for trying to do cartwheels, she keeps forgetting lol.

If they say "no gym" do ask for clarification if she can still do stretches and things that don't cause pain. They'll probably want her in there doing the stuff that she can do and even just watching other stuff in preference to her being completely absent. She'll be happier with that too.

She has already told me she wants to be there, if she can't do any gym she is going to be like a caged animal, she is a high energy active child that can only sit still at school lol

Glad it's been seen to and it's 'only' a week off.

It sounds like a conversation about telling the coach when you're in pain might be necessary. It's hard when they're little and they don't know what they should be telling people. It's all very confusing with 'being tough/brave' and balancing not complaining too much with giving necessary information. It takes a while for them to know what is important and what isn't. Especially when they don't want to be seen to be making a fuss or being 'scared' etc.

Glad you got it sorted. I am sure they will find some conditioning for her to do that does not hurt her neck!

Are some of you saying that a neck injury that needed time out was not necessary to let the parents know?, regardless if I had taken dd to the emergency room today or Friday my concern would be the same regarding communication, I wasn't worried on Friday as I put it down to soreness caused by the fall the night before, now it has been 4 days and pain is still the same then is is time to look at it further so that is what I am doing .

Maybe next time dd has an accident then I don't need to know unless it is a break or something severe like that.

I think perhaps some people have mistaken your request for their opinion as, well, a request for their opinion.

Are some of you saying that a neck injury that needed time out was not necessary to let the parents know?, regardless if I had taken dd to the emergency room today or Friday my concern would be the same regarding communication, I wasn't worried on Friday as I put it down to soreness caused by the fall the night before, now it has been 4 days and pain is still the same then is is time to look at it further so that is what I am doing .

Maybe next time dd has an accident then I don't need to know unless it is a break or something severe like that.

I think if coach thought it was serious, coach would have come out. I know that D has had injuries that don't hurt at gym, but hurt later. I expect him to tell me. In fact, our coach very rarely makes it out into the lobby because one practice is 4-5, one is 4-6, one is 5-7 and the other is 6-9. There are 2 coaches overlapping, but it woudl be hard for him to leave boys unattended while he comes to talk to me. D actually kneed himself in the nose/eye, giving himself a bloody nose and having to sit the rest of practice with ice. I did not hear from the coach. I heard from D. D reported and told me what happened.

If it is bothering you this much, then go talk to the coach about it. my guess is that the coach thought everything was fine. YOur dd kept working out, and seemed ok. She fell into a soft pit. Very few injuries occur that way. So since she went back to "working out" as you say, then the coach, honestly, probably forgot about it since she had so much else go on after the fall. If your dd had been unable to practice after that at all, then we have a different story.

As for reporting injuries on a form, someone mentioned every injury has to have a form. As many times as my son has hit feet on the bar, landed on his back off pommel, bruised various parts of his body falling on ps, pommel, or landed funny doing floor, that is all the coach woudl be doing. I think if it is an injury that requires more extensive medical treatment then that is one thing. But if a kid ices for a few minutes and goes back to practicing just fine (as the coach sees), then no report should be needed.

As a parent, yes, I would want to know about a neck injury - even if it is just, "DD fell and says she hurt her neck. She seemed okay enough to carry on, but just letting you know so you can keep an eye on her."

That's exactly how it would play out at DD's gym, too. They are required to fill out paperwork for EVERY injury - including handing out a band-aid.

I just imagine the coaches are filling out reports non-stop. I see at least 3-4 compulary kids rip a day, bandaids, taping, ice, bruises, etc. That is a lot of (unnecessary imo) paperwork.

I think perhaps some people have mistaken your request for their opinion as, well, a request for their opinion.

Request for an option in is fine and your opinion was given and taken is good spirit but the problem with words written on a forum is they can be taken in loads of different ways and not the way the poster intends, to me yours and sce posts seem a little harsh but trying not to look at them in that light and take them as constructively criticism that they hopefully intended to be.

It has been another one of those learning experiences, the blame does lay on dd for not reporting her pain, but as a small girl that turned 8 years old the day of her "accident" then I am sure she thought she was doing the right thing, I don't know if you can recall that we had an incident in the summer when dd came out to me and didn't go back an she was put on trial, she got over that and has been doing fine and probably took the coaches words as gospel about not leaving the gym for anything unless the coach told her to and just wanted to get on with it. I have requested a meeting with the coach to discuss this (dd not reporting her pain) and together we can tell dd that she has to report any pain after an "accident" and they can go from there, I have already discussed it with dd myself.

I think we will have to agree to disagree on what injuries to report to parents, head, neck and back injuries should be reported (just a quick word to say a small incident occurred)incase of any follow up medical checks need to take place (like what happened to dd), the coach had time as the dd session was the last of the evening and the coach spent loads of time having a chit chat with another parent (who I am friends with and was with them when they chit chatted).

I am unsure what you mean by coming out to you. If one of our girls gets a minor injury - something requiring ice, a bandaid or a short break, they get the ice or bandaid and go back to where their team is. Team girls don't leave the gym floor during practice, unless they need to leave due to injury (or if they are leaving early for another reason). Leaving the coaches to talk to parents during practice is frowned upon.

If your DD is injured, she needs to make it known to get coach and then proceed however the coach directs (ice, rest, go see mom, etc).

I have never been informed if an injury by the coach that didn't require an extended break from practice. Rips, fall off the beam, running into the vault, etc. Even at 7, DD was able to tell me of those incidents. We have never had s head/neck injury, but it seems likely that the coach was unaware that your DD was truly injured since she didn't see the accident and your DD went on with practice and did not tell the coach that she was hurt.

The coach was aware of the accident as dd told her and dd sat out the rest of the bar rotation with the coach beside her, she was quickly checked over and then got on with it and didn't report her pain to the coach.

The incident in summer happened when dd was doing some longer daytime practices, she barely ate, was exhausted and saw me at the gym (was bringing oldest dd in for her session) so came out to see me during toilet break, she had a mini breakdown and didn't go back in, we stayed in the gym as oldest dd was in there and was nearly finished. Dd should have gone and told the coach how she was feeling but was so tired she wasn't thinking straight and saw me and came to me. I couldn't get the coaches attention so what until end if session to discuss what happened to dd and that is where dd learnt from the coach that she mustn't just leave practice (not the building) and go to the coach before she came to me.

oooh another who loves discombobulate!

OP at our gym if the coach felt an injury required further treatment (A&E or gp or physio visit) then we would be told. Otherwise if it was something the child iced/bandaided/rested for 5 mins/cut skin off their hands for etc then not really. My kids are the last group in the gym so maybe if the coach saw me at pickup and thought to say something (usually if it was a particularly spectacular incident) then they would, otherwise the kids like to tell all on the way home.
I do think in your case with hindsight you should have been told, but it sounds like from the coaches perspective there was no injury. She had a fall, sat out for a few minutes and then continued training.

Hope she doesn't drive you insane on limited training.

I just imagine the coaches are filling out reports non-stop. I see at least 3-4 compulary kids rip a day, bandaids, taping, ice, bruises, etc. That is a lot of (unnecessary imo) paperwork.

It's not a full report - it's a line on an ongoing worksheet (eg "kid's name, rip, band-aid required"). It takes them about 2 seconds to do it. And no, they're not constantly filling out paperwork.

If it's a serious injury, then yes, they do fill out a separate report.

It's not a full report - it's a line on an ongoing worksheet (eg "kid's name, rip, band-aid required"). It takes them about 2 seconds to do it. And no, they're not constantly filling out paperwork.

If it's a serious injury, then yes, they do fill out a separate report.

Well, that's good. It still seems a bit like overkill for routine rips, bandaids, bruises, and ice packs.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back