Parents Reporting injuries to parents..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Having a DD who is on the younger side (7), I think anything with the neck, back, head does need to be mentioned to me by the coach. I haven't had any serious injury experiences yet (knock on wood!) but the two instances that something minor happened and DD may have had bruising and soreness later from it her coach talked to me after practice. Those weren't even head/neck/back injuries either. These younger gymnasts sometimes forget to mention something if it didn't happen right before they see their parents. My DD is getting better, but she will not always share that info with me. I'm glad to hear your DD is only out a week and I hope she heals quickly, but I understand where you're coming from.

I kind of see this as a minor accident even though she is out of gymnastics for at least a week, anything like a bad cut to a break I see as more serious. I am glad it hasn't put dd off gym as the last time she had a minor accident she did gets some fear issues, this accident was a fall off the beam where she scraped her back.

I feel at her age any injury of this sort should be mentioned as whiplash is a well known silent (at the onset) injury.

Dd did go to gym last night, she was allowed to do as much as she was comfortable with, spend most of the time doing normal warm up and conditioning and then separate conditioning that her coach wrote down for her while the others were on bars, she did try beam and even attempted forward rolls on the beam but after reporting pain when doing the forward rolls on the beam the coach got her doing split leaps etc on the floor beam, she was able to do some light floor work and stayed in the gym the entire session. Dd's pain is gradually decreasing but not to the point when she can do what she normally does, tomorrow is gym night again and they do bars and vault, she can really do neither at the moment as vault is handstand flatbacks, so maybe the coach will have her do jumps on the fast track and the same conditioning as last time when the others do bars again.

My gymmie is about the same age as OP's. Coach will usually come out and tell me at pickup time about minor mishaps if she thinks there will be any lasting soreness or complaints from my daughter. For example: "Just so you know, she kind of rolled her ankle landing a jump. She said it hurt so we iced it and she sat out tumble track, but now you can see she is running around just fine and playing hide and seek with the other girls. If she starts limping later on, that's why." Another day it was: "There is a big red patch on her arm where she hit the beam when she fell. Nothing seemed broken or sprained, so I told her I was impressed that she got right back up on the beam." I don't think notification of these little bumps and bruises is strictly necessary, but I do appreciate getting a more objective perspective on the situation than what I may hear from my daughter later. I also like how Coach uses these opportunities to explain to my daughter the difference between being really injured (which means you stop and tell Coach immediately) and just getting a little banged up, which is a normal part of gymnastics.

On the other hand, I would definitely want to know about any potential injury involving the head or neck, even if the coach didn't see it or think it was serious. Something like, "Your daughter told me that she fell into the pit and her neck hurt. I didn't see it and she didn't show any signs of injury at the time, but I just thought you should know." That way, if the kid starts feeling or acting unusual later on, the parent knows to consider the possibility of a concussion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back