Rips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does anyone have any tips for healing and preventing rips? I am getting new grips but I wont have them for a while, and I am ripping pretty badly. I would also appreciate any advice for how to protect my rips while I am on bars. Thanks!

When I rip, I put Vaseline on them. It helps more than neosporin for me at least! To prevent rips while on bars, I usually tape my hands. It will hurt to rip the tape off though, so what I do is cut two equally long pieces of tape long enough to go around my hand and stick the two sticky sides together, then I wrap it around my hand, and use another small piece to secure the two ends together on the top of my hand so it wont hurt so bad if it ends up sticking to my skin when I take it off! This is what I do, hope I helped a little bit! :)

Last edited:
Try Jtree Gymnastics Balm, I'm bulk ordering some for my gymnasts and making a rip care kit for them. Jtree Gymnastics Rip Balm

It's always best to make sure your hands are taken care of before they rip. Calluses are GOOD but you have to make sure they don't get too big, that's when you rip hardcore. Get a good pumice stone and everyday in the shower rub your calluses down, but not too much. You want your skin tough so you can take the swinging & friction. Tough skin is good skin, just like a tough body & tough mind!

When you get a rip, or very sore hands stick them in water that is as hot as you can bear it(this will toughen and harden the skin). Then apply some healing cream all over your hands(not just the rip). Let them dry, but not so they crack.
For prevention try putting rubbing alcohol on them with a cotton ball, all around the palms and wrist. It toughens the skin. If you get rips on your wrists from grips I suggest taping up the whole writst and taping a bit of foam over where it has either ripped or is very sore.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back