Rude comment- is this normal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

It does get so much better! My dd was "the new girl" at L4. All the other gymnasts had been on pre-team or prep-op. One parent in particular used to make comments to me all the time about how "lucky" I was that I didn't have to sit through watching 2 years of conditioning, etc..blah, blah, blah...Lots of crazy talk from a couple of parents that year...I could go on with stories similar to what you all have already heard at your own gyms. It got better each year, and now I LOVE the optional parents. We have so much fun together at meets and really care how each other's girls do, and yes, like GrannySmith, we all just hope they make it through the meet without injuries! We usually all go out to eat together after meets, share hotel rooms, etc. I have never noticed any jealousy from any of the parents. I am actually bummed out that tomorrow I will be going by myself to my dd's state meet since she is in a different session from her teammates. I am going to miss having my "support group" to get through the meet! The crazy parents have all disappeared- either their children quit the sport or they went to other gyms.

As your daughter gets older, moves up, it gets better. There is alot of this in the lower levels, especially L4 & you just have to bide your time. My DD is a L7 now, I love the parents, the girls, past couple years have been great. The first year of L4 was a nightmare though...some parents are just not nice & way too competative way too early. We were at a different gym with a large L4 team. Our gym now has smaller teams and I know/like the L4 parents too & have never heard drama there. Find a parent like yourself and stay close during meets and make sure you sit far away in the parent area during practice. I would tell you to dump and run but I think that most L4 mommies watch all practices, LOL. After a couple years that gets old fast and you will find yourself doing the same which also cuts down on the contact with crazy gym moms.

As your daughter gets older, moves up, it gets better. There is alot of this in the lower levels,

Very accurate statement there.

While the newer team parents are talking about where to get the best glitter the older ones are talking about the best places to eat after the meet.

2 newer mom's talking the other night, and one began her sentence with "if I was a coach here......."
I just rolled my eyes on the inside!

While the newer team parents are talking about where to get the best glitter the older ones are talking about the best places to eat after the meet.

That is soooooo true....that's exactly what we were talking about at states last night...where to go eat

2 newer mom's talking the other night, and one began her sentence with "if I was a coach here......."
I just rolled my eyes on the inside!

...and away meets...who cares what their scores are (they don't care!) as long as they are all together in the same hotel and can go swimning afterwards and run around the hotel!

my dd old gym was like that. Parents telling other parents that a child is crap. Part reason why we left. New gym, just wonderful, very supportive. Doesn't matter if your child is the best or the worst the parents and gymnast are very close. And being the new parent and gymnast they made us feel so welcome.

As a gymnast, I've only met one bully in my gym. I think it's the parents that want their gymnasts' to be the best. Depending on the gymnasts age and level, the parent's actions could vary.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back