San Diego Gymnastic Recommendations Please...

• Thread starter Thread starter Clueless Gym Dad
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
C

Clueless Gym Dad

My young daughter has taken up competitive gymnastics and did very well at her State competition at level 4. We might have to move to the Northern San Diego Area and wanted to know if someone could tell me/recommend the better coaches/clubs available within 30 or so minutes of Oceanside/Carlsbad. We are willing to travel further if it made sense for everyone. She is now training at Level 5 on her team.

Thanks so much for the help.

As nobody has replied I wll guess that we have nobody from that area. What you can do is email the State gymnastics director and ask them for details of the clubs in that area. From that you will be able to check out the clubs results online and also the clubs locations. After you have narrowed it down to four or five clubs that you think might work take the little talented one for an evaluation at each one, meet the coaches and ask a lot of questions. Sit with the parents and ask them questions as well. You might get a good/bad feeling right away or you might need to do some test weeks before you decide.

I have visited SD, what a great city and there were many clubs, you are a lucky family.

Hope you find the right fit and do stick around.

My young daughter has taken up competitive gymnastics and did very well at her State competition at level 4. We might have to move to the Northern San Diego Area and wanted to know if someone could tell me/recommend the better coaches/clubs available within 30 or so minutes of Oceanside/Carlsbad. We are willing to travel further if it made sense for everyone. She is now training at Level 5 on her team.

Thanks so much for the help.

From my experience in northern San Diego from a few years ago, I think your choice might be as strongly and appropriately influenced by your tolerance for traffic as by the perceived quality of the coaches and clubs. That's life.

If you and your daughter would be comfortable with her doing her homework and eating dinner in the car, SCEGA in Temecula could be a good choice if you want your child to join a top-flight team. (One of my child's former teammates commutes 75 miles through traffic from San Diego to Temecula, and and then another 75 miles on the return trip. She--and her mother, a former NCAA gymnast and a judge--think it's worth it.) The drive from Oceanside/Carlsbad to Temecula, according to Google, might take you about 45 minutes (I think that's without traffic)--a bit outside of your range. http://www.scega.com/

Of course, if you're actually willing to drive as far as Temecula, you could also consider driving a bit farther north (with little traffic on Interstate 5 from your area towards the southern fringe of LA), where you might find a gym that would be worth the driving time in, say, Laguna Hills.

Some other clubs are close by:

Carlsbad features Seawind, a YMCA program that seems like a nice place for a girl in the compulsory levels. You might start your search there.
Link Removed

Just a few miles east, in Vista: Link Removed

Twenty minutes south, in Solana Beach: http://www.trcgymnastics.com/

Just a few miles beyond Solana Beach (thus a few miles through slow traffic, but perhaps still within your range) is San Diego All Stars. Link Removed

There are other programs nearby (e.g., in Oceanside and Rancho Bernardo), but I seem to recall that they were geared towards preteam kids.

Just factor in that millions of people have to travel on Intestates 5 and 15 about the time that gymnastics classes begin, and you should be OK. Check out this traffic map around 4 pm on weekdays for a hint: Sigalert.com San Diego Traffic Map

Based on ten years of experience as a clueless gym dad, I'd suggest repeated visits to any clubs of interest, and driving to visit those clubs at the time when you would regularly drive your daughter to practice. You might also consider if your daughter is the type of gymnast who would be content to continue to practice her old compulsory routine for another year if she scores, say, 36.650 in her first year at that level. Gyms vary in their philosophies, schedules, and atmosphere; you may need to do a bit of sleuthing to find one that will work for your family. Fortunately, you will have lots of options if you move to northern San Diego County, so you should be able to find a good fit.

I can add a little info having lived and worked in the Tri-City Area. (Vista,Carlsbad,Oceanside) You can get from Carlsbad to Temecula in 30 minutes easily, avoiding freeways till you get to the 15 just south of Temecula. I did this daily living in Temecula and working in Carlsbad, @ Palomar Airport road (this will make sense once you are familiar with the area)

I would suggest looking into SCEGA as I have a friend with a DD who commutes from San Marcos to there and they love it. She says they have a wonderful program.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back