Scary Post and Question Spinal Cord

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sending healing thoughts! I am sure she will be able to get beck into tip-top shape after a little R&R. This opportunity to be with her grandparents could quite possibly be a blessing. So many gymmies miss out on spending quality time with long distance family. I really like MdGymMom01's idea of a diary. I also suggest sending postcards/letters to her teammates/gym and asking for reciprocity. That way she will be able to keep up with her friends there. Best wishes for lots of patience and a very speedy recovery for Sophia.

What a nightmare, your poor thing!
It's a very clever idea to plan such a break for her with her grandparents - she will have a blast and keep her mind off things while the healing process takes place. Which it will.
Hugs to you all.

Sending healing thoughts and prayers for Sophia and your whole family! She is such a beautiful and gifted little girl! I am sure her gymnastics will come back quickly, but she only gets ONE chance to heal properly. I am glad her summer sounds dedicated to doing just that.

Keep us posted on her recovery!

I cannot imagine how scary that was. You are probably still shaken up. My DD had a bad fall onto her head off high bar at a meet a couple years ago and I still have flashbacks of it even though she was not injured. I think the extended vacation idea is a great one, that will be just what she needs to take her mind off things while she heals and recovers. I am so very glad that the injury was not more serious...

Sorry, no advice really on the spinal cord bruising but just wanted to give you huge ((HUG)) because as a mom, I know how scared you must have been. I witnessed a bad fall once in my DD's old gym and I will not lie, it left me & everyone in the gym shaken up. Older girl fell off bars doing dismount with similar result as your daughter. My daughter was right there at the time it happened (as a L4) because vault was along side of the practice bars. She was about 7 yrs old at the time and that memeory came back to "haunt" her years later when she was learning a fly away as a L6. I'm glad she will be OK. My DD has had several injuries in her years, FX heel, FX thumb, fractures in growth plate under her knee, and each time she does recover & come back ready to get back into gymnastics without loosing any enthusiasm. I hope your daughter takes the time to heal her body and I'm sure her love for the sport will help heal her mind when she comes back!

Sending healing fairies! I know how antsy she'll be getting to get back into the gym, it's already been three months for me but i have to wait three more! Best of luck to your family in healing and great idea sending her away to keep her mind off of it:)

K I am so sorry to hear this! Sophia is such a beautiful and strong gymnast. She gets her strength from her Momma! She will definitely heal and come back stronger than ever. You are so wise to plan such a fun and relaxing summer for her. I will pray for her healing and your sanity while she's away. Loving thoughts are sent your way.

I hope she heals quickly, I think you found the perfect solution to her being out of the gym. She will make so many memories and bonds with her family. How scary for everyone though.

Thinking of Sophia! I enjoy watching the videos you post - you can tell how much she really loves the sport. Here's to a nice, relaxing summer and then right back to where she was before her injury!

So glad she is ok! I think you are doing a good thing by letting her spend the summer at grandmas...sounds like she will be well taken care of and have plenty of time to recover!

The 3 mos will pass before you know it! Lots of healing vibes coming for her--how is she feeling physically now?

Sounds so very familiar and know how scary that is first hand. My daughter, level 8, fell on her head/neck after a vault. She too seemed okay at first but then starting complaining of numbness/tingling in hands/arms. So after ER visit; CT and MRI; and pediatic neurosurgeon consult, it was determined that she had a spinal cord contusion. She was in a neck brace for 8 weeks with no gymnastics/physical activities. When she was okayed to go back to gym., the main thing was a lot of mental issues but she was able to work through everything and had a great season (made state team for Regionals)! Since your daughter loves the sport so much, I'm sure she will do just fine once she is able to get back in the gym. Best wishes :)

I'm so sorry this happened! I love watching your gymmies videos and I hope after 3 months she is back in the gym better than ever. I hope she enjoys her summer with her grandparents!

Aw, poor baby girl. And poor Momma too. I hope she recovery is easy and quick. Im sure some much needed pampering by the grandparents well set her on the mend.
Keep us posted on how she does.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back