Scary Post and Question Spinal Cord

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lovofu

Proud Parent
Well after 4 years without any significant injury...my daughter peeled off the high bar on Monday night and landed on her neck twisted. My heart sank.....she seemed ok, said she was ok but in the car couldn't hold her dinner....WHAT???? Said her hands were numb....two hospitals, an ambulance ride CT/MRI and overnight stay later the diagnosis was Spinal Cord Bruising, mild concussion and NO GYM FOR 3 Months. That made her cry and she is still so sad about not being in gym. I'm just glad her arms and legs move. Question.......has anyone ever had this happen and had the gymmie return to the sport. She LOVES, BREATHES and EATS gymnastics and the thought of her not coming back to it makes her sooo sad. Any advice welcome....

Karen

Karen,

I had heard this through a friend and have been sending healing thoughts Sophia's way. I am sure the accident and aftermath were just awful.

Scary sounding diagnosis, my only advice is to follow the medical advice completely and follow the instructions of the physio.

Hoping that Sophia heals completely during the summer and is able to enjoy her time away from the gym.

Last edited:
Thanks so much....she is flying to her Grandparents to be watched and entertained all summer...if she stayed here she would want to go back to the gym...in St Louis she'll fish, swim, see cousins and be spoiled rotten.....Lucky Girl and with God's grace be back in the gym in Sept!!

A summer with her grandparents is probably the perfect solution for an active little girl who needs to take it easy.

I am sure that Sophia will not struggle to get back to full fitness in the fall, she is a natural.

I came off my bike many years ago and did something similar, plus the addition of a couple of crushed vertebrae.

It took a while, but I got back into adult gymnastics at the same level, if not higher than when I was 10 or 11. It won't quite be the same for your dd obviously, but as long as she's careful with her recovery she should get back to 100%.

One thing worth asking the pt about is ballet, I found it enormously helpful, low impact, but working the arms and spine through their range of movement. Invaluable psychologically as well as I got used to twisting my neck and upper body which was quite a scary thing after such an injury. I actually got back in the gym because my ballet class closed and I needed something to keep me mobile and strengthen muscles. Other sports were either too high impact or one sided- I had to be very careful with stuff like carrying a bag in one hand as it would strain my neck. Everything had to be done bilaterally- two bags or a rucksack was fine.

Going to the gparents sounds like a fab idea. Good luck to her (and you)

How very scary!! I am sending lots of healing wishes her way.

I am sure that once she is fully recovered that she will be back in the gym and back to form in no time at all.

I hope she has lots of fun with her grandparents this summer. That sounds like perfect place for her to heal .

I am so sorry!!!! How terrible :( I hope she's okay and don't worry, she will be able to get right back into shape in the fall, she is so talented!!!! Will they still let her do level 8 if she's out all summer?

I'm so glad that, with time, she'll be ok! That must have been scary for you and for her. I am sure that she'll be back and just as good as ever, she is naturally gifted and 3 months is not that long a time in the grand scheme of things -- people are out for much longer than that with injuries sometimes! Is she allowed to do mild conditioning to keep her strength up?

(((hugs))) to you and swift recovery to Sophia! Summer with the grandparents and cousins sounds like a lot of fun!

How scary. Sending prayers to both of you. It's wonderul that she will recover and no better place than grandmas.

You must have been scared out of your mind! Any insult to the spinal cord should be taken very seriously. Do follow doc's orders to the T. The most important thing is her health. Once you have some clearance for gymnastics, then you can address the level question.

Sounds like she will have a great summer being spoiled. The swimming will be a great way to help her rehab.

Sending prayers and well wishes to both of you. Like Bog said -- she's a natural, so just make sure the doctors and coaches are working together to make sure she's ready to go. I'm sure she'll be flying across the gym in no time.

I just wanted to send you guys :grouphug: as well. How scary that must have been! Sending healing vibes Sophia's way and hope that she has a terrific time at her grandparents. She'll be back in the gym before she knows it.

That's very scary. I'm glad she'll be alright. From my experience blowing my knee out, the mental recovery is much more difficult than the physical one. Hopefully, she will get all the support she needs to ease her way back in. It will be good for her to spend the summer away from the gym with her Grandparents. That sounds like a wonderful summer (I'm jealous!)

Ivy

Oh no! Poor Sophia! I am sure it was a scary few hours for all of you! Sending you all hugs! I do hope Sophia makes a swift recovery and I'm sure she'll have a blast at her grandparents!

Sending many healing thoughts to Sophia! What a scary thing for her to go through! She will have lots of fun in St Louis! We live in one of the suburbs west of St Louis.

I am so sorry to hear this. Just love watching your daughter's videos. She is precious. Sending her positive thoughts for a speedy recovery!

Same as above!
So much loving healing thoughts
She is SO young and talented that the time factor of PROPER recovery will in no way inhibit future progress.
Good luck and may every thing go smoothly! Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Sending healing thoughts your way!!! How terribly scary to deal with. The summer with the grandparents sounds like it will help Sophia keep busy, entertained and all the swimming will be good rehab. She is such a natural and has that natural grace and poise, I don't think 3 months off will be that detrimental to her training when she comes back. But, do follows doctors orders so that she wll have a complete recovery. Maybe have her keep a summer diary or blog of her time with the gparents. It will be a great memento to look back on when she is older.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back