Parents Scary to watch ??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
DS' new pbar dismount scares me but I think it is just because he is so bad at it still! Double backs off rings scare me. His pirouette on high bar makes me gasp. Of course, then he gets hurt on pommel, the least scary of all events!!! LOL!

I was a competitive figure skater and always wondered why my mom watched from behind the bleacher. Now I know why.
I am the exact same. My dh no longer wants to come and watch - not because he doesn't want to see her perform. He is so nervous for her.
Last year I was extremely nervous for her as she wanted to "make" Team Ontario a couple of times and needed to be in the top four. So I was nervous for her cause she wanted it so bad.
This year I don't expect it to be any different. Thank god I have fantastic friends at the gym that I can sit and share our nervousness together :)

Beam every time...fine with anything else.
It is common for me to leave a meet with a migraine

It's common for me to start with sweaty palms, then leave the venue between events to hyperventilate. It's also a cross between nerves that she will do well and nerves because Dear God! Look what she is doing!,

all of you crack me up! love your posts. :)

Ha ha right? You never felt nerves watching your kids? I'd think it would be worse for you knowing just what might go wrong. And you have to have at least a little bit of palm sweat even watching the girls you have trained. You know one wrong move and.....

I was a competitive figure skater and always wondered why my mom watched from behind the bleacher. Now I know why.
I am the exact same. My dh no longer wants to come and watch - not because he doesn't want to see her perform. He is so nervous for her.
Last year I was extremely nervous for her as she wanted to "make" Team Ontario a couple of times and needed to be in the top four. So I was nervous for her cause she wanted it so bad.
This year I don't expect it to be any different. Thank god I have fantastic friends at the gym that I can sit and share our nervousness together :)

Did you skate in Ontario? You might be a lot younger than me, but I made it to Novice then quit as I was 14.

I chose gym over skating when dd was super young because I thought it would be less stressful and the fact I didn't know anything about it would be better.

Lol how naive was I?

So my dd's L9 friend just broke her arm this morning.....walking her dogs. I think they really are just as likely to get hurt outside of the gym.

The rope climb is what freaks out all of our preteam parents, especially when the really tiny ones have to grab on to the chain that attaches the rope to the ceiling and then lean waaaay out to ring the bell. It doesn't help that last year one of them let go on her way down the rope. The coach managed to break her fall, but there isn't always someone there to catch them.

Beam and bars scare me though I guess vault and floor should, too, since we've had girls with accidents on vault and floor too.

And honestly, it's not when they were doing a new skill...it's often skills they've done for ages and something just goes wrong :-(

My daughter is Level 9...first year....and I am def scared of the bars more than ever!

I never watch practice!

I hold my breath on beam and feel like I will now hold my breath for bars, too!

It only gets harder as they get to higher levels!

You're not the only one!!

The rope climb is what freaks out all of our preteam parents, especially when the really tiny ones have to grab on to the chain that attaches the rope to the ceiling and then lean waaaay out to ring the bell. It doesn't help that last year one of them let go on her way down the rope. The coach managed to break her fall, but there isn't always someone there to catch them.
I have a great picture of my at the time 5 year old climbing the rope all the way to the top. We are in warehouse so it is a long ways up! I snapped a picture when she got to the top. When I looked at it later, the sign right behind her was for Ready Care Emergency care :)

I had a parent who came out ONTO THE FLOOR because his daughter was climbing the rope and he felt it wasn't safe..so he wanted to spot her in case she fell.......

Probably good she chose not to continue with gymnastics-I don't think dad could have handled it. I wouldn't want to be responsible for his heart attack... Lol

(Hi all, I'm new...)

I've said for awhile now that I start to worry when they do moves that are named after people.

Just the other day I walked in to the gym near the end of practice. The girls were on the low beam right in front of the viewing room, and two of the team moms sitting there saw me and said "oh, you have to watch this!" My DD then proceeded to do a side aerial on the beam. My immediate reaction was "Oh God!" and I turned away. The moms laughed, because they've all been there too.

Yeah, it's scary for us parents. But at the same time it's amazing, and I am very proud of her.

My littler one is still at the actually accomplishing conditioning while thinking she is just playing in a really cool indoor playground stage. [Our gym does have a rocking pre-school gym!] Her big sister will be embarking on L10 version 3.0 (as she likes to call it) this winter and I still bury my eyes in DH's shoulder at opportune moments.

I've not had too much worry or concern over watching my DD, now 8, training. However, I do now prefer to not watch as much with her training optionals. She was training giants early in the summer. She peeled off a couple of times and it was scary to watch! A coach was right there with her, but it kinda freaked me out! They coaches know she's scared now and have let her take it slow to get the giants. That's a new thing, up till this point, she's been basically fearless. So, my advice to is cheer for her and support her, but don't watch too often.

Sometimes I think the progression are just as much for us parents as it is for the kids. I watched practice for the first time in a few weeks today and was suprised to see DD working her ROBHSBT. This is the first I've know of the BT and honestly my heart dropped when I first saw it

I left the room for every vault dd competed as an old level 5...she was 3 foot 7 at the time. Never knew if she'd make it up onto the vault, or over, or what.....she always did though....ds doing back handsprings as a level 4 scared me too - but more the time he did them across the parking lot at COSTCO!!!!! (amazingly this kid has always bounced - but still his 6 year old head needed more distance from the concrete! there was some discussion after that event - on many issues!)

as the kids have moved on to harder skills they look ever so much safer because they are stronger and have better form - but when DD came home from practice with a bruise on her forehead from BHSBHS on beam, and another time with 2 black as night marks that lasted 2 months on her shins from pit tumbling into the side of the pit (she's still really short and powerful, but with working harder vaults distance judgement is difficult...) - I was sure glad I don't watch much!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

NEW COMBO for Suni Lee? 🥇

Back