Parents School schedule: wwyd?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

You might not the only one who will be facing an issue - you are in Texas like me, and the Legislature passed a law that the school year had to be measured in minutes instead of days. Many districts are having to juggle their schedules around - my district just sent out a survey this week asking what the community preferences are for bell schedule (starting school 8 minutes early, ending school 8 minutes late, or ending school 12 minutes late) - so I'm sure the gyms near us will have to rethink their practice and rec class start times depending on what all the nearby districts do. Your district seems to have a later schedule for elementary than the ones near me (our elementaries at earliest, then middle, then high school - for the busses) but you might luck out and find the other districts you gym pulls from also have to shift later.

Fortunately this is not really an issue for us. My work schedule varies and DD is about 15 minutes late when my schedule requires her to ride the bus, but is on time when I pick her up in the car rider line.

We explained the situation to her coaches at the start of the school year and they just have her warm up/condition by herself when when gets there to catch up.

These conversations often taut the flexibility of private schools. But, this isn't always the case. In our experience, the disruption caused by children leaving at multiple different times is highly frowned upon in the high academic atmosphere.

While the last 10 minutes is likely kids getting ready to go, if you then have kids getting ready earlier, they could be disruptive causing teacher to check homework folders, gather paperson, etc.

As much as I believe my DD to be talented and want her to get the most out of her gymnastics career, she won't be a gymnast forever and she will need the academics more.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I prefer to work out compromises with the coaches rather than DD's school. But, this may in part because because I am paying for private school specifically for the academics is provides, not for the flexibility of schedule.

I know we ate talking about kindergarten, but this will set the precedent for the future.

Our Texas elementary school also had tweaked the schedule. To save time the principal tried to move the pledge of allegiance to before school, the community protested loudly and it was changed back quickly. They have the policy that you can't get kids out during the last 35 minutes or so and its enforced. We can get ft campus PE starting in 6 th grade. Elementary parents just have to make do with the kids getting out at 3.25.

[QUOTE="z2akids, post: 453753, member:

As much as I believe my DD to be talented and want her to get the most out of her gymnastics career, she won't be a gymnast forever and she will need the academics more.

I know this isn't a popular opinion, but I prefer to work out compromises with the coaches rather than DD's school. But, this may in part because because I am paying for private school specifically for the academics is provides, not for the flexibility of schedule.

I know we ate talking about kindergarten, but this will set the precedent for the future.[/QUOTE]

I hear you, but ironically gymnastics teaches so much in terms of discipline, stricture, and time management....a very high percentage of the gymnasts we know (and we know a gym full, bahaha, and that doesn't include all we know from other gyms as well)...those students do very well in school. As an educator, I give kudos to those kids who are on such schedules and had no problem with early releases in those situations, because of what it taught them in the big picture of life. Just another way of looking at it, everyone has their own way. I know my organized sport basically saved me from a very hard life, and I thank God many a time that I had educators who understood the need for early releases and worked with my mom and I to ensure I could continue it. :)

My DD is a straight A student, very high achieving.......I have NOOOOO problem with her focusing a little more on gymnastics for a year or two during middle school in order get her to continue being a straight A student!!! If I could home school her I would! She is so motivated to do online school. It's still relatively easy and manageable......she is moving quickly in gym too, so why not. Once she hits puberty and things slow down then she can pick up where they left off in school.....socially....
Elementary school is important, high school is important.......I hate middle school.....they can get the work done in a few hours...the rest is a waste of time.....

I don't see this really happening though......off I go to fight for her to leave school as early as possible...the less time she spends there the better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back