Parents Searching for a new gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mmarlow

Proud Parent
My DD left her gym 3 weeks ago. She was the last gymnast at her level (L5) and there wasn't a solid plan in place for her season. There were no gymnasts above her level. She is now figuring out what to look for in a gym. Since it's the middle of competition season, it feels like an awkward time to search for a new gym. I don't even know what I should be looking for or what questions to ask. L5 also seems to be a challenging stage, as many gyms we've researched have L4s & L6s. Any advice or recommendations on how to move forward in this process is appreciated.

She may want to consider going to a gym that would have her do level 6, if that is what is more common around you.

Things to consider: hours, distance, price, number of kids in upper levels, how well does she fit with the coaches

Don't be afraid to find a challenge for her. L6 can be much harder, or it can be the same as L5. The nice thing is that L6 will provide the necessary bridge for real optional gymnastics where she will be able to find out what kind of gymnast she really is. The compulsory levels cannot really allow deviation from the set routine.
We had a couple of older L5 that began the L6 season struggling without even some basic 5 skills and now they are doing quite well!

Contact all the local gyms and try them all out.
See what you and she think of the environment and coaches.
Don't feel pushed into making a decision.
Do a second trial day at all the ones she liked (you didn't hate)
Good luck, hope you find the perfect fit.

In our region we only have about 4 weeks left before state, so it isn't a bad time to be looking. I would search the gyms in a reasonable driving distance, do what research you can online. Look at team sizes (on my meet score or the like). You can then ask here for insider info from CB parents in PM re: the places you have decided to look at. Then email the coaches, meet with them, visit practice as a spectator, then see if invited to a work out or two. Then decide as a team (gymmie and you)

State is in a month in my region too so I would think now is a good time to be looking. I would keep an open mind about what level your DD may be. As you've noticed, there is a range in how gyms choose to compete L5-L7. Some may have her compete L5 again while others may move her up to L6 or L7. I would instead focus on finding the gym that has the best fit for your DD. If I were interviewing gyms I would be most interested in their overall philosophy -- ie, do they make kids reach a certain score to move up or do they treat each gymnast individually when making move-up decisions. If possible, I would try to observe what is going on in the gym...are the girls relaxed, body language of kids and coaches, do the girls look like they are having fun. I would also look at scores on mymeetscores and be looking for proficiency across all 4 events. One thing I've noticed where I live is that some teams are way stronger in floor and beam and the kids struggle in bars and vault (we are talking 9's+ on beam/floor and 7's on vault/bars). I've seen some outright scary routines from a few gyms. This would be a red flag for me. Good luck!

Did she score out of L5? Would you be looking for her to repeat or move up? The answers to these questions may not truly matter, but thinking about them will help you in your conversations with potential gyms.

Thank you! Lots of helpful advice, as this wasn't at all the plan two months ago & I was feeling lost on the best way to begin to move forward.
She does have a L5 move up score. At this point, she would like to start training optional, even if she waits until next year to compete. She feels like she wouldn't want to do L5 next year as she wants to move into optionals. Where we are, optional States aren't for another 2 months.
I do think we should take our time with this as I don't prefer to have to do this process again. Geographically, there are 8 gyms that would be a reasonable drive. From initial research, 3 don't seem to be a fit. Looks like we will begin visiting. Are most places open to having several practices as a trial? It doesn't seem possible to choose based on one visit.

Our gym prefers multiple visits before they offer a team spot. I'm sure some girls are asked to join quickly- but we usually have girls in for 2-3 practices. And some are offered spots and some are not.

I'd go visit a few gyms- do you know anyone at the other gyms? If you have that many gyms in driving distance you probably know some other gym moms. Talk to them, see what might be a good fit for your DD. I'm sure the right place is out there!

No offense taken. She was given a few options that didn't seem optimal. One was to wait until the 4s finished their season and then she could join them as they entered 5. Or have her compete by herself, however we alone would be responsible for all meet/coach's fees for any competition she entered, these fees had previously been divided. The system wasn't in place for a blanket cost for the season. It wasn't cost effective. These choices coupled with severe allergies for her in the building in the winter moved us to leave. 3 weeks later she is looking to find something that will work.

I should also add that the exodus of her friends & teammates was emotionally tough for her. She spent a lot of time with these girls and was suddenly solo. So I guess there were many factors that converged at once.

When we switched gyms I visited the options and watched practice alone, then I had my son practice at my top 2 options and a decision was made by both of us. I went and visited without him first, because there was no reason to have him try out at a place I knew wasn't a good fit. And at 8 it was my call, not his. I took all the responsibility for the move but I did consider his input for the final selection. It took about 3 hours for him to fit in and become part of the new gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back