WAG Seeking advice for tangled hair

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Wow! Thanks everyone. I've ordered Garnier's Argon oil and the web brush on Amazon. The braiding last night worked really well. I may try a vinegar treatment today since we are moving from days in the pool to days in school.

This was such a great response. In my web search, it was all about elaborate french braids that likely none of us have time for. Thank you! Oh, going to shop online for satin pillow cases now too.

We use a leave-in conditioner and put hair in braids for bedtime after bathing.

It works wonders for my girls who have tangle-prone hair.

My daughter looks like Krusty the Clown from the Simpsons when she wakes up if I don't do her hair for the night. Her hair stylist told me to section it into 3 or 4 parts and do loose twists. This looks better in the morning than braids, because her hair doesn't get crimped by the braid. When we forget, we use a leave-in conditioner and a Knot Genie brush to detangle.

I just googled "wet brush" and I'm a bit confused. Are these any different to the brushes that looked the same 30 years ago?

My daughter looks like Krusty the Clown from the Simpsons when she wakes up if I don't do her hair for the night. Her hair stylist told me to section it into 3 or 4 parts and do loose twists. This looks better in the morning than braids, because her hair doesn't get crimped by the braid. When we forget, we use a leave-in conditioner and a Knot Genie brush to detangle.
how is a twist done?

Another vote for the wet brush. They look the same but work very different. Both my dd and I have one. We both have long thick but fine wavy hair. She dampens with a little water, pulls through some leave in conditioner and brushes. This has cut down the morning drama significantly. Sometimes I still have to do the very back but she has most of the routine down herself now. I personally prefer the larger paddle style to the rounder top.

One note about the wet brush. Take good care of it. Keep it someplace the bristles won't get pushed around. The first time my dd threw it in her bag and took it to a sleepover it came back with bent bristles and is basically useless now. Doesn't even work as a regular brush, forget about detangling.

On a side note, we got one of these a while back. Random purchase at the drug store for our car hair bag because it was smaller. We have since bought more for both her and I at home as well. They work great for light detangling (won't attack a dread or anything) and makes a great smooth pony or bun. Love them.

Conair porcupine brush

This is bigger than the one we got, which was smaller and plastic, but same concept. Small hair bristles surrounding firmer plastic bristle.

My DD wakes up every morning with a complete rats nest that takes more time than she/we have to brush out. It isn't super long, but long enough to bun for meets. We keep it trimmed, condition it regularly, but it still practically dreads over night.

School starts this week and with less than 12 hours between gym end and school start, I'm looking for hair short-cuts! Any suggestions as to how to have a kid wake up without tangles? Or product suggestions to make it easier?

Thanks!
Spray with detangler and braid.
Take braid out in morning, more spray and then new ponytail, braid or whatever she likes.

how is a twist done?
Take a section of hair (we usually do 3 total sections - each side and the middle.) seperate the section into two parts, twist each outwards, then cross then, and twist each inwards, cross them, twist each outwards, etc. Does that make sense?

This is the Best Thread Ever. I have been struggling with DD's hair. She is sleeping now, but tomorrow night we braid. Or twist! And I'm totally buying a wet brush. Yay!

My DD wakes up every morning with a complete rats nest that takes more time than she/we have to brush out. It isn't super long, but long enough to bun for meets. We keep it trimmed, condition it regularly, but it still practically dreads over night.

School starts this week and with less than 12 hours between gym end and school start, I'm looking for hair short-cuts! Any suggestions as to how to have a kid wake up without tangles? Or product suggestions to make it easier?

Thanks!

2 words --ARGAN OIL!!!!! You'd be amazed at what this Moroccan miracle can do. Use a shampoo, conditioner, and styling product all that contain argan oil. Personally I love Chaacoca products. I first found them on haute look but I'd gladly pay full price especially for the hair treatment leave in spray. AG is also good. You can buy liters at Ulta pretty reasonably. Still look for the Chaacoca styling spray though. AG doesn't have anything close. The weekly hair mask by chaacoca is also fabulous. Sleep in it with a shower cap over it and it will leave hair smooth.

I know it sounds like a lot of maintenance, but I swear by argan oil now that I found it. A plus is buy pure argan oil and use it to moisturize' sooth, and even help with healing scars. When my niece was a baby we used it for diaper rash and the rash was gone the next day. I put it where clothes rub and I'm raw and it's better in hours. My clothes do fit by the way but you know about under wires sometimes digging and rubbing. Lol

So anyway use only argan oil products. Her hair will not only be more manageable but it will also shine.

Another vote for argan oil. She washes, shampoos, then when slightly damp we add a bit of argan oil to the ends. We lightly brush it then to evenly distribute it.

DD has very long, fine hair. We also braid before bed. If she attempts to wear it wavy it gets too knotty too quickly, so she usually wears it re-braided for school. She wore her hair down to school once and her friends flipped - "why aren't you wearing a braid?!?!" Hahaha.

ODD (gymmie) has long, straight hair. We always braid it for the gym, because a ponytail only would still get tangled. She brushes her hair before bed and puts it in a side pony with 2 scrunchies (it's the AG McKenna bedtime style).

YDD has very thick hair with some wave/curl. She loves her Tangle Teezer and almost always wears a ponytail with a scrunchie.

All the girls in the family brush before shower. Gentle shampoo, don't ruffle up the hair. Always condition - form a ponytail and condition ponytail to ends, gentle swipe at top. Rinse out, again, don't ruffle up the hair. Dry gently, squeezing hair, not rubbing. Wide toothed comb, no brushing while wet. Nice, moisturizing shampoos and conditioners always.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back