Coaches set, but no rotation

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

J

JenFen

Hi,

Me again (lots of questions).

I have anothe tumbler that can flic, back salto. We are just playing with layouts at the moment, and its getting half way round then pretty much just "dropping out of the sky". Looks like shes trying to drive with feet and hips, hits layout initally, but then its like her shoulders don't continue moving but her feet do. (hope this makes sense - try picturing it).

Because the feet keep moving it pikes, but rotation stops mid air. Layout reasonably okay on mini tramp and was better tonight at practice.

Anything you can suggest for her to keep her shoulders turning as well. Even if its something I could try saying to her that make click.

Thanks
Jenna:)

It sounds like either she isn't finishing the set or she isn't tight in the core.
I've also seen quite a few kids pike down as soon at they see their landing since they feel like they aren't flipping fast enough.

I'd spot a few of these focusing on lifting their hips up on their set just so the get used to the set doing most of the work in a layout. Make sure the set is open enough but , of course, not whipped.

Videos are always useful for these types of issues as well.

Two possibilities.

1) Are her arms coming up before she finishes the flip? Assuming her position is already laid out, the only way for her to possibly slow down midair would be if her arms come up, causing the rotation to slow down.

2) If not, the problem is on the takeoff. There are a lot of things it could be, but if I had to guess, I'd say she's probably not opening the chest and shoulders sufficiently on takeoff, which causes her not to get enough rotation. I generally tell gymnasts to think about pulling the tips of their fingers towards the wall behind them, while setting everything else straight up. This causes them to open more in the chest and shoulders, generating more rotation.

Its not enough to get into the hollow shape. They need to actively "kick" into that shape. Remind them to try and "kick the ceiling" as they flip, and see if that helps.

Also, make sure that when they "kick" they are looking at their feet. That way, it maintains a tight hollow, and they wont feel the need to rush their feet to the floor from a false visual lock. Later on, as they get more comfortable with the timing/muscle memory, you can start moving the head more neutral for twisting (or leave it... depends on the kid).

Just my 2c.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back