WAG Severs - grrr

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OzZee

Proud Parent
Just a rant - how ironic and unfair that every time my very little growing dd finally grows a cm she gets a flare up of severs!!!
Whilst she watches her friends grow 5 cm overnight without a problem.

Get her some cheetah braces. Two, you should wear them on both feet. Lots of ice and stretching of her hamstrings and calves. Some Tylenol for pain if needed at night. I would avoid anti inflamatories, there have been a few studies that suggested that NSDS could be linked to weakening of the Achilles and you don't want to risk a major injury. Good news is that it gets better when she grows a little more but I feel your pain. We went through it for a year!
PS. Extra calcium and B vitamins never hurt either:)

. Some Tylenol for pain if needed at night. I would avoid anti inflamatories, there have been a few studies that suggested that NSDS could be linked to weakening of the Achilles and you don't want to risk a major injury.

:eek::eek::eek:.........whoops!!!

A weakened anything in a gymnast's ankles is a bad thing. I used to take aspirin with milk, as directed by my ortho, hour prior to each workout to help reduce pain and inflammation. Maybe looking into that old fashioned otc med is worth the time. Other than that I can only add massage above and faithful icing to Gymluvmom's recommendations.

LOL we are used to it and hopefully as it was a teeny tiny growth this will be a quick bout.
She had ice on it within 10 minutes of it hurting (ie how long it took us to get home), lol.
Just wanted to vent, it just seems so unfair that she waits so long to grow at all (which does bother her) whilst all her friends over take her but every time she does she gets darn severs.

I feel your pain. Dd has been suffering off and on with Severs for almost 2 years now. I'm soooo ready for her to stop growing already, but she's only 10 and very short so that wouldn't be good. lol. We have 3 cheetah braces she rotates between because they smell like rotten tomatoes after wearing them between washes.

Dd would take Naproxen (Aleve) for the pain but that ended up contributing to gastritis so no more of that unless it's unbearable. She'll just stick to icing and stretching for now.

yep, my DD has had on and off bouts for a long time now. She just recently turned 10 but is very tall. I can't imagine how tall she'll get if she grows as steadily over the next few years! when she first got it, we did lots of icing and stretching, but I've given up nagging her about it, since she wasn't doing it on her own. She wears the heel cup and that's about it.

:eek::eek::eek:.........whoops!!!

A weakened anything in a gymnast's ankles is a bad thing. I used to take aspirin with milk, as directed by my ortho, hour prior to each workout to help reduce pain and inflammation. Maybe looking into that old fashioned otc med is worth the time. Other than that I can only add massage above and faithful icing to Gymluvmom's recommendations.

Massage made the most significant difference to my gymnast. There are a few videos online that show the technique. Every night I massage each calf, achilles and foot. Also by a brace for her to wear

Just a rant - how ironic and unfair that every time my very little growing dd finally grows a cm she gets a flare up of severs!!!
Whilst she watches her friends grow 5 cm overnight without a problem.

because she is a gymnast. her friends are not. and she is not done growing. :)

the way some kids have a hard time with growth spurts seems really unfair... I feel for you both! It seems so random when you're looking at kids of similar age with the same interest/level of training.... Both grow a little, one has no issues whatsoever the other is in pain and take a giant step back in flexibility and skill. Luck of the draw I guess... :( hope your dd feels better soon!

Well, not quite. Her gymnast friend (my daughter) doesn't grow either. ;)
Yes it doesn't help for either of them to have the fastest growing other best friend!! (and lol, yours has that cm - which is very important to them - on mine.)

My poor dd has been so stressed about not growing ever and is so jubilant about any growth she has so when it's usually causes pain it's just unfair.
Though tonight she insisted it wasn't so bad - prior to a carpet burn on one knee and a bruise to one cheek (both gymnastics related, can't remember what caused the carpet burn but she then managed to knee herself in the cheek!!)

My daughter just started full tumbling after being out 5 months for a compound fracture in her arm. Wouldn't you know, her heels are killing her! I'm trying heel cups massage ice compression and only sneakers for the next few weeks. Walking around barefooted aggravates it I think.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back