Shin Splints

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I recently had shin splints in both shins. I took a couple of weeks off practice to let them rest. I should have taken more time off, but I thought they were better, and I had to practice for a big move-up event, so I started practicing on them again. Since they didn't heal completely then, they have now come back. I still go to practice, but I sit out anything with "impact," meaning vault and floor and anything else that involves running or jumping. (Lots of conditioning - yipee. :melodramatic:) I have been wrapping them up with ace bandages every day. I know there are exercises to do to strengthen them, but I don't know what they are. Anyone know any good ones? Also, am I supposed to do them after my shins heal, or while they are healing? Finally, any other tips for how to take care of them/make them heal faster?

I am not a gymnast but I had shin splints from running and was able to cure them. Rest never fully worked for me. They would go away but then come back after a few runs. I thought I was done running forever and then a new client fell in my lap ( I own a web development company) who was a triathlon trainer. He trains people to run ironman triathlons and has run many himself so I trusted his opinion.

He told me that most shin pain in caused by your calves more than your shins. He told me to stretch my calves any chance i got by standing on a step or with your toe against a wall. He also told me to write the alphabet with each foot in the air once a day per foot. The thing that seemed to help me the most was deep massage of my calf.

You can massage your own calf by putting one calf on top of the opposite knee and then rubbing it over your knee back and forth with a good amount of pressure. Try to get as much of your calf muscle as possible and when you hit an especially tender spot, concentrate about six runs over it before moving on. This will hurt A LOT if this is what is causing your problem, so don't overdo it. Just a few minutes on each calf each day.

Doing these things fixed my shin problems and I was able to run my first triathlon last summer. I haven't had any serious problems in about two years. I just run through the protocol at the first twinge now.

Also, I highly recommend KT tape. They have a great website with how to videos and I have seen our team trainer tape a few gymnasts with shin issues so I am sure you could find some good instructions.

Good luck and I hope this information was helpful. Remember, I am not a doctor. Just someone who has been there. :)

ICE!!!!!!!! Before and after practice. 20 mins! Also anything you can do to strengthen calf muscles such as toe raises. When you are wrapping make sure you are pulling the calf muscle toward the shin bone not away.

You can exercise them by spelling the abc's in the air with your feet, I had shin splints from track and that's what my coaches told me to do

My DD has shin splints right now as well! They have been doing track at school and she was going to a speed running camp for a few weeks. What she was told to do by her gym is massage her calfs as well as pick up marbles with her toes or scrunch up a towel with her feet. We did take her to the sports Dr. just to make sure it was not something else

Totally random reply to this thread here, but I was watching an old video of Kristy Powell when she came back to competition after having surgery on both calves. From what the video said, she was actually diagnosed with shin splints... but following treatment and even after moving to a new gym she was still in so much pain they re-visited the doctor and she ended up having the surgery because shin splints weren't actually the issue.

I guess just a cautionary tale to never be afraid to go back to the doctor if you aren't getting better.

Okay, more questions. They healed after that episode of them. I have been doing a ton of exercises for them (abcs, toe taps, toe raises, etc) every night to strengthen them. Tonight at practice, they came back again. For the third time. Ugh. I immediately stopped tumbling and did easier stuff so I wouldn't make them worse. I don't know what else to do! I have tried rest (I took a bunch of time off) and exercises. I have not tried ice yet. Does ice actually help heal them, or does it just numb the pain? Usually it just hurts while I am tumbling on them, and a couple minutes after. I haven't gone to the doctor either, because my parents say I don't need to. I really need them to heal this time (and stay healed) because I am planning on joining the competition team. If they don't heal, though, I won't be able to. I know I won't be able to make it through the season on them. Is there anything else I can do? I am losing hope that I will be able to still even do gymnastics. My dad says the fact that I even got them in the first place shows that I may not be able to take the strain.

Unless you keep up with the strengthening and stretching (as often as you can, more than 3 times a day) the will continue to come back. You even do it when you take a break from gym. The best exercise I found that really helped was to stand on the edge of a step and drop your heels as low as you can for 30sec, the rise onto your toes for 30 secs and repeat a few times. Do this as often as you can throughout the day. It really worked for me!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back