WAG Shorts in competition

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jard.the.gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
The dutch gymnastics federation decided to allow shorts in competitions. Before you could wear a unitard, but shorts that werent attatched to your Leo were a deduction. My kids don’t even wear shorts to practice (they are allowed to, most just don’t do it) but for now my rule stays no shorts in competitions (it also helps my girls don’t have that time of the month yet).

What do you think about shorts in competitions?

I like the idea. I know in AAU, it is allowed, especially for older gymnasts - it is specifically mentioned in their rules.
I also think I read (somewhere) that as long as the shorts match the leotard in color and fabric, they are allowed in USAG JO / Xcel competition.

I like the idea. I know in AAU, it is allowed, especially for older gymnasts - it is specifically mentioned in their rules.
I also think I read (somewhere) that as long as the shorts match the leotard in color and fabric, they are allowed in USAG JO / Xcel competition.
We’ve seen leggings in competition. My friend’s daughter’s team has 4/5 Muslim girls and they compete in headscarves and leggings with no issues.

We’ve seen leggings in competition. My friend’s daughter’s team has 4/5 Muslim girls and they compete in headscarves and leggings with no issues.
It was allowed before if there was a good reason, but it was a lot of work to request it before. Now it is for everyone who doesn't feel like wearing just a leotard.

You are allowed to wear leggings that match the leotard color, but I think there is some weird part of the rule like they have to be worn UNDER the leotard (the way you would wear tights under a ballet leotard). I think at the non-elite level, it wouldn’t be a bad idea, but (probably just because its how I grew up in the sport) I feel like putting on a competition leotard, not wearing shorts, etc., is part of making the meet feel like a competition. I think wearing shorts, like wearing a sleeveless leotard, makes it less formal and more like a practice situation (again, that is just my personal preference).

I wish that fitted shorts (like bar shorts) were the standard. I think they look sporty, professional, and athletic, like the modern gymnast.

ETA: as a bonus, I think they would help young women and girls with heavier periods stay in the sport. But that aside, I think shorts are the right outfit choice for the sport.

We have kids close to puberty and in puberty. All feeling self conscious.

They all wear shorts at practice. No shorts for meets. All are good with it.

I like the idea for older girls for one reason. If they all wear them no girl has to feel uncomfortable if they have their period (just no predicting how that goes) or feel different.

I wish that fitted shorts (like bar shorts) were the standard. I think they look sporty, professional, and athletic, like the modern gymnast.

ETA: as a bonus, I think they would help young women and girls with heavier periods stay in the sport. But that aside, I think shorts are the right outfit choice for the sport.

I agree tank leos and shorts are sporty and professional. i also hate to see people have to quit because of female issues. the problem is that most people don't admit that is really the issue, so people don't know how common it really is. i don't understand why we would make it hard on teens who have so many other issues to deal with. i had a very hard time dealing with it in high school and didn't try out for cheerleading because of it. some people don't understand that it is really a problem. while some people have no issues at all, for others during that time of the month it is absolutely horrible. i would hate to deny a gymnast the ability to compete because of something that she has no control of and even the control she has doesn't help sufficiently.

I don't like it. There needs to be a uniform standard and something that sets the competition apart from an informal practice or rec team. They don't have to be so high cut, though, and GK, AF, and Ozone and others should stop offering the high cut or French cut, or whatever they are calling it.

Just like in dance, the dancers wear something special and better than just their standard practice leotard for performances and competitions, I think adding shorts or leggings just takes away from the specialness of competition (barring religious reasons or maybe a cosmetic reason). Of course, that is just my opinion, which doesn't matter as I've been told, so you can just skip my post if you don't like my opinion.

I don't like it. There needs to be a uniform standard and something that sets the competition apart from an informal practice or rec team. They don't have to be so high cut, though, and GK, AF, and Ozone and others should stop offering the high cut or French cut, or whatever they are calling it.

Just like in dance, the dancers wear something special and better than just their standard practice leotard for performances and competitions, I think adding shorts or leggings just takes away from the specialness of competition (barring religious reasons or maybe a cosmetic reason). Of course, that is just my opinion, which doesn't matter as I've been told, so you can just skip my post if you don't like my opinion.

I share my non-mattering opinion with you @GAgymmom :)

This was discussed a lot in cheerleading (bearing in mind the competition outfits are far more dramatic than competition gym-leos). But parents were getting frustrated with "teased hair" and "glitter makeup" because they said it wasn't necessary to compete. But - it is what made competition special. It made me feel like a million bucks. It made me want to be over the top-dramatic for my performance.
There is something to be said about being 'competition ready' both skill wise & attire. Changes the mindset of the athletes (at least for me it did).

I agree tank leos and shorts are sporty and professional. i also hate to see people have to quit because of female issues. the problem is that most people don't admit that is really the issue, so people don't know how common it really is. i don't understand why we would make it hard on teens who have so many other issues to deal with. i had a very hard time dealing with it in high school and didn't try out for cheerleading because of it. some people don't understand that it is really a problem. while some people have no issues at all, for others during that time of the month it is absolutely horrible. i would hate to deny a gymnast the ability to compete because of something that she has no control of and even the control she has doesn't help sufficiently.

I think shorts and a tank leo could great as competition wear if it was well designed. It is just not what we are used to. One of our competition leos had no bling and it looked amazing and very athletic. (Sadly it cost just as much as one with tons of crystal.) I think gymnastics should be about sheer athleticism not about glitter and crystal and high cut leos.

I agree. Maybe long sleeved leos are not necessary for competition, but they look more professional. Even on GymCastic's most recent podcast, they talked about the verification at LSU and how Marz Frazier was the only one who showed up in a l/s leo and the impression was that she was prepared and ready to go. I know this original post wasn't about l/s, but it's somewhat applicable because I feel the same about shorts. Obviously there are exceptions, but in general I prefer l/s and no shorts for competition as a differentiation from practice.

2017-2018 Rules and Policies https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2017_2018_w_rulespolicies_1203.pdf p.24

The gymnastics is obligated to:
present herself in the proper attire. A deduction for “inappropriate” attire will be applied for any infraction.
a. No bare midriffs, backless leotards, leotards with "spaghetti" straps, T-shirts or Boxer shorts.
b. NO underwear (including sport bras) should be exposed.
c. The leg opening on competitive leotards must NOT be cut or rolled above the gymnast's hipbone.
d. Sleeveless leotards and unitards with long legs, as well as gymnastics footwear, are permitted for competition. Leotard and/or warm-up uniform should be worn for march-in and award ceremonies. Tennis shoes (athletic sneakers) are NOT considered gymnastics footwear. If the athlete wears tennis shoes while competing, a 0.20 deduction for inappropriate attire will be applied.

For Christmas I tried to buy my DD a couple of leos with the shorts built into them thinking they looked cool and sporty.

Bad Dad mistake, Mom had to tell me that DD didn't want to hurt my feelings but hates that style and won't wear it. Oh well, I tried.

2017-2018 Rules and Policies https://usagym.org/PDFs/Women/Rules/Rules and Policies/2017_2018_w_rulespolicies_1203.pdf p.24

The gymnastics is obligated to:
present herself in the proper attire. A deduction for “inappropriate” attire will be applied for any infraction.
a. No bare midriffs, backless leotards, leotards with "spaghetti" straps, T-shirts or Boxer shorts.
b. NO underwear (including sport bras) should be exposed.
c. The leg opening on competitive leotards must NOT be cut or rolled above the gymnast's hipbone.
d. Sleeveless leotards and unitards with long legs, as well as gymnastics footwear, are permitted for competition. Leotard and/or warm-up uniform should be worn for march-in and award ceremonies. Tennis shoes (athletic sneakers) are NOT considered gymnastics footwear. If the athlete wears tennis shoes while competing, a 0.20 deduction for inappropriate attire will be applied.
Notice it does not specifically say no GYMNASTICS shorts (booty shorts / bar shorts) - just no boxer shorts (think soffe shorts).
We compete against a team that had one girl that, while her gymnastics underwear were the same size and color as her leotard and from the same company, they showed all the time. It was only SUPER noticeable when the top of the underwear fell below the top of the leg hole opening (showing skin between the black of the leotard and the black of the underwear). A pair of matching black shorts would have prevented that.

Reactions: sce
For Christmas I tried to buy my DD a couple of leos with the shorts built into them thinking they looked cool and sporty.

Bad Dad mistake, Mom had to tell me that DD didn't want to hurt my feelings but hates that style and won't wear it. Oh well, I tried.
Unless biketards are PERFECTLY sized, they are uncomfortable or baggy.

Back when YG and OG were in rec, they would wear them (they didnt show undies)... they wore them loose so they didnt have to worry about wedgies. Within 2 months of moving onto team, OG decided she didnt like them anymore. With YG, she stopped wearing them the DAY she moved to team.

Currently, we have some L3s that still wear them... a little loose, because they are more comfortable than some of their other practice leotards that are too small in the torso but too big everywhere else.

My DD has had tank comp leos in the past and vastly prefers them. She thinks the long sleeve ones are an unnecessary and uncomfortable bit of fluff. I think they make competing even more expensive for no good reason.coachwa seem to love them though!
When I was competing, being allowed to wear tank competition leotards was still very new. I feel like it is more “professional” looking (as a coach) and my teammates and I felt that it made it feel more like we were doing something “important” - a meet is an event and tank leotards made it feel like we were at practice. However, I got to compete at a meet in Puerto Rico once - we got tank leotards for that meet which was necessary because it was so hot.

We do have our lower level comp teams wear a tank leotard, mostly to keep costs down.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back