Anon Should I Report My Former Coach to SafeSport/USAG?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (9ecd)

Hi. I'm a former gymnast (now young adult) who trained under an verbally and emotionally abusive coach for several years as a kid. It took me about a year after leaving that gym and coach to realize that this coach was far more than just "mean," and that they should not be allowed around children. By this time, that coach had left my former gym and only coached sporadically (for days at a time) at other gyms every once and a while. However, I have just found out that this coach is now a full-time team coach at a different gym.
I had always promised myself that I would do everything in my power to prevent other kids from being treated the way I was by this coach. I am considering filing a report with safesport, but I have some concerns:
1. I have had almost no contact with my former coach for several years. However, I know they have gone through several major life events. I think it's at least possible that this coach no longer treats gymnasts the way they used to, and IF that is the case, I am worried that making a report would be irresponsible. I just have no way of knowing their current behavior other than asking around or trying to show up to the gym to watch their practices, which seems stalker-y.
2. If this coach is still abusive, will filing a report even do anything? I know that many reports are not investigated or that nothing is done even if abuse is discovered. I was appalled by the story a few years ago when something like thirty gymnasts and parents reported a group of coaches and they were all allowed to stay. Also, I had a different former coach who got reported to safesport for a legitimate reason. The coach found out about the report and was very mad about it. I wouldn't want to potentially make things worse by filing a report.
The way that I was treated by this coach had a profound impact on me. I genuinely believed that I was stupid, worthless, and couldn't do anything right as a kid. Even as an adult, I still struggle with moving on from what happened. I never want this coach to treat more kids this way- I just don't know if reporting them is a good idea. What should I do?

Here is a link that can help you decide what to do...

I would be apt to reporting, stating what you did here - that this was years ago and you don't know if behavior has changed. At the very least, they will have corroborating evidence if others file reports in the future.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back