MAG Shoulder

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
So, we are 3 weeks out from the injury. HIs range of motion is slightly better...arm can go above horizontal now. He is still hurting from time to time, especially if he has to go above his head or back. Still on no equipment. He has this idea that he can start rehab on Monday...but I told him to wait to see what his coach said. Doing LOTS of conditioning right now.

His biggest issue, according to his coach, is that he isn't moving the arm. When he walks, he pins it to his side. He isn't even using his elbow. Coach is trying to get him to move it more, passive and active. He is worried that it is going to stiffen up too much. So we are trying to get him to use the arm more.

That's a pretty painful injury that, depending on the severity, can last a long time. I was diagnosed with a slight tear, so I'm guessing a bit worse than a strain, but it eventually got better. I was told, for therapy, to hold my elbow next to my ribs and to move my arm, from elbow to hand, across my body and then back to the start position, and to increase the range as pain allowed. My total recovery time, to the point of useful strength and range, was about 8 weeks with tolerable pain that diminished over time.

Yep! It's a pain in the neck, but if the diagnosis is correct, it will get better.

Yep! It's a pain in the neck, but if the diagnosis is correct, it will get better.

I think this is the key, and our biggest concern, that it could actually be torn, even though they said it would be rare.

On a positive note, he is doing a great one-armed tsuk and was able to raise his arm up all the way today.....and his core should be rocking strong at this point! LOL!

It's good to hear he's getting a bit more mobility.

He's doing a 1-arm tsuk? I'm not sure about this but he better be careful or he'll end up trading his strained ro-cuff for a labrum strain in the other shoulder.

Lol. That is what he calls it. Really it is on a wedge mat into the pit

Sent from my SPH-M950 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I get it! It's kinda like my one legged double back off a slant tramp into the pit..... errr, maybe with a belt and overhead rig.

Exactly!! LOL! It was kinda funny to watch as it was more of an aerial into a back tuck into the pit, but I guess he is keeping the feel of the skill.

Gotta love the harnesses!! LOL!

So, he has been back for a week, doing a bit more. Some pommel, a few handstands, but still mostly conditioning. Not hanging or tumbling other than front tucks and back tumbling on tramp. One coach has him starting some therapy on his shoulder, and one coach thinks he is going too fast. So I am so confused!!

The main thought is that he can do things, but if it hurts, he stops. He is still only going 3 days a week, although this week he did 3 days in a row which was probably a mistake. He is planning to move to the optional work out in June, although that might get put on hold as well.

Any thoughts on this? I don't want him to push too hard, but I also think he has some fear of reinjury!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back