Skin the cat

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

rsm

Proud Parent
I know this is an odd post. DD, who is 6, was doing "Skin the cat" (or "Skindy cat" as she calls it) for the first time yesterday at the gym. She did about 15 in a row without a spot. This morning she is complaining that her tummy hurts. But she can't tell me if it's her muscles or if she's a little sick. She already does a lot of conditioning, sit ups etc. I'm hoping this is just her muscles and not the sushi she ate last night. So is this exercise particularly strenuous for abdominal muscles? And anyone have a good way to find out from a 6 year old what kind of pain they have? She very rarely complains of pain, so when she does I have to pay attention.

It could be muscle soreness- common with muscle building after doing repetitions of a new exercise. Abdominal muscles are used for this exercise. I would keep an eye/ear on the situation. If your dd is able to perform all daily activities, I wouldn't worry too much. I remember going through this when my little one was learning various skills or starting new regimens of conditioning. She is now able to discern between muscle soreness and other pains- but it took until she was 8 to do so. I think if it was the sushi you might have more complaints that an icky stomach... Good luck- and if the pain interferes with her ability to be a kid, call the advice nurse!

NOT giving medical advise but personally I would maybe give a tylenol or ibuprophen (sp?) to see. If it is muscle pain it would help a little if not it may be her stomach.

Skin the Cat in my dd's gym wouldn't be abs, but I would understand if she felt like her shoulders were going to fall off. Skin the Cat at dd's gym is when you hang from the bar and then bring your feet up to your arms and then bring your feet through along with your body so you are still hanging on the bar in the same grip you originally had but your body is now hanging with twisted shoulders, then you bring your body back through to where you are hanging in the original position - that's my best laymans term description of what it is. She doesn't do these anymore and I've heard they are not good for you shoulders, but back when she was younger she supposedly had the best "Skin the Cat" in the gym - ha, ha.

Tickle her tummy! She'll let you know if it's sore muscles when she clenches up her abs from being tickled. And just for the record....I can't stand sushi!!!:eek:

Skin the Cat in my dd's gym wouldn't be abs, but I would understand if she felt like her shoulders were going to fall off. Skin the Cat at dd's gym is when you hang from the bar and then bring your feet up to your arms and then bring your feet through along with your body so you are still hanging on the bar in the same grip you originally had but your body is now hanging with twisted shoulders, then you bring your body back through to where you are hanging in the original position - that's my best laymans term description of what it is. She doesn't do these anymore and I've heard they are not good for you shoulders, but back when she was younger she supposedly had the best "Skin the Cat" in the gym - ha, ha.

Yes. That is what they were doing. The coach was making them do it with straight legs as well which made it look like abdominal muscles were also engaged. The last time she complained about stomach pain, we figured out after a couple days, it was because she finally did the rope with scissor legs the way it's supposed to be done. Could be the same here.

Tickle her tummy! She'll let you know if it's sore muscles when she clenches up her abs from being tickled. And just for the record....I can't stand sushi!!!:eek:

Thanks for the tip. Will try that. And if it's still hurting a lot when she gets back from school, I'll also try some ibuprofen.

Skin the cats in our gym are exactly what Granny Smith describes. But, doing those, they DO use abdominal muscles!! So that very well could be the problem.
Maybe ask her if she feels 'Icky' or her stomach just 'hurts'.

Skin the cats do use the abs- those are the muscle groups used to lift the legs- assuming the gymmies are not punching off the floor with their toes. If it is a controlled skin the cat, the abs are worked and the shoulders are stretched. Both good muscle groups to work for future bar success.

Best way to test if it is muscle soreness is to do an activity that uses those muscles. Get her to do a hollow hold on her back or some other simple stomach activity and get her to tell you if she can feel the sore muscles more while doing it and if it seems harder than usual.

You would have to be exceptionally strong to do a skin the cat with only shoulder strength. Basically every skill/activity on the bars requires stomach strength to some degree, as well as other body parts. The strength of the abdominals will determine how much they will feel their other muscle groups working.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back