Slight pain top of foot

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd has mentioned a pain in the top of her right foot... about midway between ankle and toes and left side - top part. It is somewhat painful to touch - and hurts when she pull hers toes toward her (but not so much when she pushes them out). It is not really more painful during or after gymnastics - just sort of nagging pain all the time. Not a real sharp pain and it is not bothering her that much now/yet - but I did not really want to ignore it. Any ideas what this might be and what she should do about it if anything?

I don't know if this is it, but my daughter suffered with pain in the exact place you are describing. She started out with mild pain, but got to the point where she couldn't do vault or any running because of the pain. It was about 4 months of increasing pain before we took her in. The orthopedist diagnosed her with a growth plate inflammation. She had to be in a boot for 5 weeks. :(
But the pain went away and now she is fine. And she has a lot of upper body strenth from all that conditioning!

Here is a link to what my daughter has:
Institute for Sports Medicine - Iselin disease (apophysitis of the 5th metatarsal) - Children's Memorial Hospital (Chicago, IL)

I hope you find out what is going on with your DD!

If its gotten to the point where your dd has mentioned it to you(because many will just hope it goes away) and its continuing to bother her, then the next step is make an appointment to have a doctor look at it. It may be nothing more than a strain that will heal with a little rest, but its better to know that than guess and possibly have an injury get worse.

My dd had a similar problem, so I took her in to the doctor. He recommended shoe inserts for her arches that really helped. The pain went away, and has not returned.

DW took dd to primary doctor today and he took xrays and they came back normal. His immediate thought was rest for 2 weeks - but when he saw dd's face drop and he realized States is this weekend - he said just tape it this week and then start a week or two off next week. Now if she makes Regionals that is going to be tough- but for now that is the plan.

Thanks for the feedback.

DW took dd to primary doctor today and he took xrays and they came back normal. His immediate thought was rest for 2 weeks - but when he saw dd's face drop and he realized States is this weekend - he said just tape it this week and then start a week or two off next week. Now if she makes Regionals that is going to be tough- but for now that is the plan.

Thanks for the feedback.

Good Luck to your DD @ States this weekend. My DD has them this weekend too. She is Sunday @ 3:30.

Your DD should be ok for regionals, they are not until April 24 -25

Good Luck to your DD @ States this weekend. My DD has them this weekend too. She is Sunday @ 3:30.

Your DD should be ok for regionals, they are not until April 24 -25

Have you heard what the regional qualifications will be? Our coach still does not know...

Have you heard what the regional qualifications will be? Our coach still does not know...

The top 10 + 2 alternates from each level all ages combined. so 12 Rookie 1's, 12 Rookie 2, 12 premier....) will make the NC State team.

My daughters coach is taking the Rookie 2's to compete as a team for our gym and in the individual competition. Any that make the state team will do all 3 meets.

Best of luck to your DD, and I hope her foot feels better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back