Small brag - thoughts on DD completing another season

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

sportzmomov3

Proud Parent
Well this is my very first thread of my own. I'm normally really private and don't like bragging about my children, but this seemed worthy of a brag:).

DD just finished up her season at regionals. The night prior, she had written down some personal goals for herself, of which I didn't ask about or see. She's in one of those really difficult age groups where the competition is fierce, and going into Regionals she didn't even think she'd have a real shot at making Westerns. She didn't start off very auspiciously as she made a mistake on her first event, but I was so proud of her - she got right back up and finished out what was her best routine of the season on that event. In fact, I overheard some folks exclaim, "wow that was a great score with a fall" and it was clear that the judges rewarded her for an otherwise solid routine. She went on to hit all her other events and had personal bests on one event as well as AA. But that one uncharacteristic mishap on her first event was the difference in making it to Westerns.

What a difficult day - she was so happy that she had personal bests, but finding out that she just missed making it to Westerns was utterly disappointing to her and heartbreaking for me.

As I spent some time reflecting back on where DD is today and where she started from, I wish I could help her see just how much she has accomplished in her young life. She's completed 6.5 seasons of competitive gymnastics and she's still in middle school. Her dad and I are so very proud of her - not for any of the medals or the state championship titles she's earned, but for her passion, dedication and discipline in setting goals for herself and working towards them. Her natural talent for the sport started this adventure but it's been her passion and work ethic that has kept her in it. Whenever I ask, "are you still loving gymnastics, do you want to keep doing this?" I always get the stink eye and rolling of the eyes like, "are you really asking me that AGAIN?"

I know she won't give up and that's what makes me most proud. Everything happens for a reason. I know my DD - just missing out on making it this year will make her want it even more next year. She's a strong girl, both physically and mentally and I'm looking forward to her kicking some butt next season:) (in a quiet and respectful manner, of course!)

Best of luck to all the gymnasts who did make it on to the next meet!

I think you and your dh have a very healthy way of looking at your dd---not just in gymnastics, but her life. Sounds like a very mature girl who will continue to do well in whatever she pursues.
Good luck to her next year!

Good for her on a good job at regional! Just as gym law mom said, sounds like you all have a good handle not only on just gymnastics (which is such a wacky sport both mentally and physically) and life which is much more important than medals! Wishing her a fantastic season next year!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back