Parents Snacks before practice?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi everyone! So my DD is 6 yrs old and just starting on the L3 team. She will train for 3 hours 1 day a week for team. I was curious to see what snacks ya'll recommend for your kiddos before practice. Or do you not recommend snacks? Personally, I don't do well with eating right before a work-out so I wasn't sure if it would be a good idea. But my DD is very petite and tiny (35lbs) and I want to make sure she's still taking in enough calories with the increase in workouts. She also does competitive dance 3 hours a week. I was thinking of maybe making her a smoothie with Pediasure for her to drink on her way to practice. What do ya'll think? I would love any recommendations! Thanks!!!

Smoothies are good, as is regular yogurt. We also have success with peanut butter and crackers, nutrigrain, half of a sandwich. Candy is a big no no. I had to go out of town one week and my parents were responsible for taking her to gym. One of them gave her CANDY right before workout. YIKES!!!!!!!

My child doesn't like these but some other ideas....cashews, almonds, raisins.

Also a piece of fruit

She loves smoothies so I'll try those. She hates peanut butter, which amazes me! Pretty much hates all nuts in general. But she will eat any fruit or vegetable that I put in front of her. :) I'll try to have some fruit washed and cut in baggies so we can grab them quickly. Thanks for the suggestions. :)

My DD is the same age and weight, and has gymastics 6 hours a week. She likes boiled eggs and baby carrots before workouts and always eats a snack right afterwards. Thank goodness we're just 5 minutes from the gym! She's a grazer, my little one!

My DD is the same age and weight, and has gymastics 6 hours a week. She likes boiled eggs and baby carrots before workouts and always eats a snack right afterwards. Thank goodness we're just 5 minutes from the gym! She's a grazer, my little one!

Yes, mine grazes all day long! Every now and again she'll stuff herself and we'll wonder where she put all that food, lol. But a lot of the time we have to force her to sit still for 10 min to eat, she's so active. :) Boiled eggs is a great idea, we'll have to try that. We're only 15 min away from the gym so the drive isn't bad. After reading some of the posts on here it seems that the gym we're at is on the low end with practice hours- only 3 hrs per week for L3, 6 hrs for L4. I kind of like it though because it leaves time open for her to take an extra tumbling and ballet class. Thanks for the advice! :)

Mine eat fruit, cheese and crackers, yoghurt, fruit buns, sandwich, breakfast cereal and milk, sushi, last nights leftovers heated and stored in a thermos.

They go from school to gym and don't finish till 7.30pm (no snack break) so I have found they need a substantial snack and lots of fluid prior to training or else they wilt half way through. The coach requests that they gymnasts are not fed heaps of sugar before training.

Cheese and crackers is a good one. Grapes, yogurt, granola bars or even a bowl of cereal. My dd loves cereal and I swear she could eat it breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

snack ideas

There was another post similar to this about a month ago and I got some great ideas; can't remember who posted such good ideas, but I'll pass along a few. FAVORITE...cereal with milk! Was it you Bog???? ;) Sounded messy at first, but after I got the right container it worked out perfect and my dd LOVES it. ;) I also send bagel with cream cheese, string cheese, crackers, strawberries, banana, apple slices, carrots and dip, yogurt covered raisins, soynut butter and jelly sandwich (peanut allergy in her group), yogurt, cottage cheese, deli meat, beef sticks from the deli (she really likes this one). I've also done (probably not very healthy), but fun every once in awhile, pizza lunchables. Good luck. ;)

She's only going for one 3 hour practice once a week, right? You don't need anything all that elaborate..throw a box of granola bars in your car and give her one on the ride to practice and she's good to go! It would be different if she was going multiple days and more hours but for now, I 'd keep it simple while I could!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back