WAG Sole Impact Socks for Severs

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does the stretching, icing etc. seem to help? Have you tried taping the arch for support? My daughter is just starting to have pain in one heel and we are trying to be proactive. Not sure if it will help but would love your thoughts on what works and doesn't.

Not a whole lot :(. We also do some massage of the calf when it's bad. We thought about taping the heel cup on for the meet this weekend, but the tape kind of puts the breaks on when sliding into splits, etc. Her coach is going to have her try the heel cup for warm up for floor and vault only, and have her compete without it.

Not a whole lot :(. We also do some massage of the calf when it's bad. We thought about taping the heel cup on for the meet this weekend, but the tape kind of puts the breaks on when sliding into splits, etc. Her coach is going to have her try the heel cup for warm up for floor and vault only, and have her compete without it.

Thanks for you response. We are going to try taping the arch for support in practice and wearing running shoes when she's not at the gym for support.

Good luck to your daughter this weekend!

My dd is dealing with Severs too. She is icing, stretching and we have gotten some calf massage. She also has heel lifts and orthotics in her running shoes that she has to wear all the time - no flip flops, slippers or other shoes without support. She wears a heel cup to practice and compete and vaults only every other day. Not sure any of this is doing much good but it does seem at least to be manageable most of the time. The Dr. told us that around age 12 the growth plate in the heel fuses and Severs will gradually disappear. We are hanging on til the season is over to maybe try a boot for a few weeks. My friend's dd had success with four weeks in a boot, but that was pre-season so she could do it. We are rapidly finishing our first bottle of Oscon - not sure if it's doing any good but we will keep it up at least through the end of the supply. Wishing everyone dealing with this speedy healing!

The Dr. told us that around age 12 the growth plate in the heel fuses and Severs will gradually disappear.
Gosh, I hope this is the case... DD turns 12 next month. It would be nice to see her reach the end of this. While it hasn't been debilitating, it has definitely been an issue on and off for several years. Just in time for her to reach the upper levels of optionals where she's more likely to have other injuries! ;)

Gosh, I hope this is the case... DD turns 12 next month. It would be nice to see her reach the end of this. While it hasn't been debilitating, it has definitely been an issue on and off for several years. Just in time for her to reach the upper levels of optionals where she's more likely to have other injuries! ;)

yes, I've heard this too...I don't think the magic number is 12, but it is right around or slightly after they get their period. My DD is 9 so we likely have a long way to go....

My dd is dealing with Severs too. She is icing, stretching and we have gotten some calf massage. She also has heel lifts and orthotics in her running shoes that she has to wear all the time - no flip flops, slippers or other shoes without support.
I was going to suggest looking into shoe inserts and making sure she is wearing adequate shoes throughout the day. It likely own't solve the problem, but it could offer at least some degree of relief. Her coaches might be familiar with what works but your best bet would be to ask the ortho dr., your family doc/ped. might also be able to provide some suggestions in that regard.
I had terrible problems with Osgood-Schlatter (a similar issue but in the knee) as a gymnast and it is so frustrating! Best wishes to you and your DD as you continue to work through this!

I was going to suggest looking into shoe inserts and making sure she is wearing adequate shoes throughout the day. It likely own't solve the problem, but it could offer at least some degree of relief. Her coaches might be familiar with what works but your best bet would be to ask the ortho dr., your family doc/ped. might also be able to provide some suggestions in that regard.
I had terrible problems with Osgood-Schlatter (a similar issue but in the knee) as a gymnast and it is so frustrating! Best wishes to you and your DD as you continue to work through this!

Our ortho suggested sneakers all the time, and wearing the heel cups in the shoes if it gets bad. We haven't tried the heel cups in the sneakers, but it may come to that. I have banned the wearing of Uggs until this bout is gone - if that ever happens!!

I have banned the wearing of Uggs until this bout is gone - if that ever happens!!
Oh my goodness! A fate worse than death for my DD! DD went through a "sneakers only" period last spring/summer and even into the fall, but we have yet to have a bout of severs during Ugg season, which is a good thing because we would have a battle on our hands!

LOL, Mary - my DD was not happy about it either!! She was actually wearing them to her ortho appointment and the doctor pointed to them and said, "Maybe those are part of the problem?!" So at least when she complains, I can remind her that the doctor said they were bad!

Oh my goodness! A fate worse than death for my DD! DD went through a "sneakers only" period last spring/summer and even into the fall, but we have yet to have a bout of severs during Ugg season, which is a good thing because we would have a battle on our hands!

My dd had just gotten her first pair of Uggs for Christmas when she got her first round of heel pain! Talk about bad timing! I have to admit to letting her wear them a few times WITH the heel lifts and orthotics in them. I too am hoping it passes around age 12 or so, though that is still nearly a year off for us. If it's closer to when they get their periods, we may have some time to wait. My 13 and half yr old still doesn't have hers and she's not even a gymnast.

My 13 and half yr old still doesn't have hers and she's not even a gymnast.

I would bet money that my gymmie will get hers before her non-gymmie twin sister. She is definitely getting close, while her sister is showing no signs. My own (albeit small) nature vs nurture study seems to come down on the side of nature every time.

(PS... she would be HORRIFIED that I am discussing this...)

I would bet money that my gymmie will get hers before her non-gymmie twin sister. She is definitely getting close, while her sister is showing no signs. My own (albeit small) nature vs nurture study seems to come down on the side of nature every time.

(PS... she would be HORRIFIED that I am discussing this...)

LOL MaryA! I'm sure both my girls would be horrified too! Unfortunately for the Severs issue, my 11 year old gymmie is showing zero signs of puberty.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back