Off Topic Something Australian....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LucyTRA

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
My dad has been away working in Perth since February and is coming back in September. He has decided that he wants to bring us (us being my 2 sisters and I) back a present, but he wants it to be something Australian. He suggested this particular brand of handbags and sent links to all of us but my sisters weren't fans and they bought me a bag for my brithday only six months ago. I suggested Ugg boots but he doesn't want to do that because you can easily get them in the UK.

I'm out of ideas and he now says that we have to suggest something. Having never been to Australia, I don't really know what I'm supposed to be coming up with!!

Any suggestions guys? I'm 21, and my sisters are 22 and 31.

Well being an Aussie in London my choice would always be food! Twisties, cherry ripes, violet crumbles, redskins, toffee apple - I could go on and on.

Alternatively, why not choose a typically Australian clothing brand like Seafolly which do beautiful swimwear or Country Road - my parents visited me recently and brought me a country road weekend bag -it's lovely. Or you could look at the websites of Myers and David Jones which are big Australian department stores and see if you get any inspiration.

So living in Australia my whole life, I'm not too sure what is australian and what has been brought over from else where. After the above poster suggested looking at some Aussie brands. Turns out my favourite fitness gear is an australian brand :) yes, I looked it up to check! Haha. Lorna Jane is the brand. It's the best although on the pricey side but hey, I feel good working out in it which makes me want to work out more :) win win situation really!

Other than that I'm no help. The fact that I had to look up my favourite brand to find out if was Australian gives you an idea of my attention to detail skills when it comes to thing like this. I'm sure whatever you decide will be great. It's Australian why wouldn't be? ;) haha

So living in Australia my whole life, I'm not too sure what is australian and what has been brought over from else where. After the above poster suggested looking at some Aussie brands. Turns out my favourite fitness gear is an australian brand :) yes, I looked it up to check! Haha. Lorna Jane is the brand. It's the best although on the pricey side but hey, I feel good working out in it which makes me want to work out more :) win win situation really!

Other than that I'm no help. The fact that I had to look up my favourite brand to find out if was Australian gives you an idea of my attention to detail skills when it comes to thing like this. I'm sure whatever you decide will be great. It's Australian why wouldn't be? ;) haha
I agree definitely lorna jane it is just amazing to work out it is so comfy

When I had to get Australian presents for someone else I bought jewellery! An Aussie opal or sometimes you can find places that do things with old coins.

Attachments

• FMAU_Jewellery_June_2014-143-800x800.jpg
    FMAU_Jewellery_June_2014-143-800x800.jpg
    202.9 KB · Views: 13
Reactions: COz
Yes defiantly go Lorna Jane amazing sports gear skinS, sports bras! It's perfection

Yeah, opals. Very Australian, not that Australians tend to wear them.
They can be pretty expensive though. If you go for this ask him to get small pendants for a necklace or earrings. The bigger ones tend to be made into brooches that make me think of my grandma.

And Tim Tams. Lots of Tim Tams!

I was going to suggest opals, jewellery made with opals.
On the food theme - jaffa's - they're orange sweets with chocolate in the middle (not like the Jaffa Cake).

@LucyTRA | I'm not sure if you're musically inclined, but I think one of the coolest things I ever got is of Australian origin, and that would be my didgeridoo. If you're not familiar with it by name, it's a long, hollowed out cylindrical instrument usually made of wood. If you don't know what a didgeridoo is, then I'm sure you've heard it before. It's a low pitched, droning instrument and it's got a very recognizable sound. It's easy to learn how to play, but challenging with the more advanced techniques, so it's always fun!

Um, Aero are you a brass player? Most people would find the didgeridoo hard to play, circular breathing is hard! You're supposed to have your mouth partially over the hole, breathe in through your nose and use your tongue to squish air out of your mouth at the same time as breathing in, so there is a continuous droning sound the entire time you are playing it, something only brass players are generally trained in. Yes, it's easy to make a noise on, but so is a piano.
They do make good decorations if you're that way inclined.

@COz | While I totally agree with you that circular breathing is difficult, it isn't needed to play the didgeridoo. And actually learning how to properly play the didgeridoo took me about five minutes. Learning to make all the different sounds and effects is fun, too. After four months of somewhat regular practice I was able to circular breathe decently. I was never a brass player. Rather, I've been a drummer for almost nine years.

@LucyTRA | I'm not sure if you're musically inclined, but I think one of the coolest things I ever got is of Australian origin, and that would be my didgeridoo. If you're not familiar with it by name, it's a long, hollowed out cylindrical instrument usually made of wood. If you don't know what a didgeridoo is, then I'm sure you've heard it before. It's a low pitched, droning instrument and it's got a very recognizable sound. It's easy to learn how to play, but challenging with the more advanced techniques, so it's always fun!

I'm not sure about customs though, since traditional didgeridoos are made from being hollowed out by termites! As well as traditionally, it was only for men within the indigenous kinship group to play as part of a religious/spiritual tradition, so I'm not sure if giving a didgeridoo to 3 females not from the kinship group would be culturally appropriate.

Yeah, what @Gymnastisism said!

@Aero I think our versions of playing "properly" may differ :)

Aside from didgeridoos, whilst Australian Aboriginal art is interesting, the general colour schemes are such that it's not really stuff that girls enjoy getting as presents in my experience. Especially girls that like sparkly leotards ;-)

I have a piece of aboriginal art I bought in Australia almost 20 years ago, it is timeless and will last a lifetime.
My Blundies lasted well but the elastic went so they had to be binned.
Depends if you want something for now or something for ever, since it is your dad who is away the forever thing might not have the same importance as if you had been there yourself.

Oh, this is silly, but it's kind of obligatory to get some of those little clip on koalas. They have a kind of clothes peg thing in them so their hands hold on to your clothing. They're really cheap but are cute.

Thanks for your suggestions guys! I'm not sure about the didgeridoo thing, aside from cultural appropriateness and customs, they are pretty huge, and I don't think my dad would want to deal with transporting 3 of them half way around the world!

Opals would be amazing but I'm not sure he's up to that, (apparently being a gp in Australia doesn't pay as well as it was supposed to) thought I might suggest some tiny earrings.

My sister used to have one of those clip on koala things when she was tiny! There are pictures of her at my parents wedding holding on to it like her life depended on it o_O

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back