Parents Stage Fright Floor Routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Anonymous

Proud Parent
My daughter is in her first year as a EXCEL and she really struggles with remembering her floor routine steps. She can do it at home and in the gym but once she's competing her mind goes blank. What are some tips or strategies we could use to help her with remembering her routine.

Especially younger girls sometimes blank at meets. Make sure first she’s not unsure of the choreography at all- she can go through the dance with or without music. To help her get over any fear have her do it in different locations, at the school playground, on the sidewalk, at the store! This will get here used to being in more open settings around people hopefully helping her feel more comfortable performing.

For me it has helped to have mental verbal cues, I basically sum up my floor routine in my head as I do it. However, I'm much older and everybody is different so I don't know it that helps your daughter. (Like, in my mind I'm going: turn, kick, prep and go, arm, arm, etc..)

One thing that helps some people with nerves is to think about 1 specific person they're performing for, as if they're only performing for that person and everybody else just happens to be there. But again, you'll have to find what works for her.

I also agree that the more you have it memorised super much, the more sure you are that you'll remember it under pressure. Just like how on an exam you may forget some stuff because of exam stress, but you'll usually remember your name etc. because that's second nature. A floor routine can become second nature too.

Finally, at this age it probably is also not a big issue. It's likely something she'll figure out with age and experience, and it's probably more common in her age group (Or if she started at a later age: it's probably more common among girls who are newer to competing.)

For me it has helped to have mental verbal cues, I basically sum up my floor routine in my head as I do it. However, I'm much older and everybody is different so I don't know it that helps your daughter. (Like, in my mind I'm going: turn, kick, prep and go, arm, arm, etc..)

One thing that helps some people with nerves is to think about 1 specific person they're performing for, as if they're only performing for that person and everybody else just happens to be there. But again, you'll have to find what works for her.

I also agree that the more you have it memorised super much, the more sure you are that you'll remember it under pressure. Just like how on an exam you may forget some stuff because of exam stress, but you'll usually remember your name etc. because that's second nature. A floor routine can become second nature too.

Finally, at this age it probably is also not a big issue. It's likely something she'll figure out with age and experience, and it's probably more common in her age group (Or if she started at a later age: it's probably more common among girls who are newer to competing.)
Thank you for your suggestions. My daughter is 9 and this is her first year doing gymnastics so it very new and still building skills. The music cut out half way through her first meet and she kept going but it took a toll on her confidence. We will try to verbal cues.

Especially younger girls sometimes blank at meets. Make sure first she’s not unsure of the choreography at all- she can go through the dance with or without music. To help her get over any fear have her do it in different locations, at the school playground, on the sidewalk, at the store! This will get here used to being in more open settings around people hopefully helping her feel more comfortable performing.
Thank you for your tips. I hadn't thought about having her practice outside of home or the gym. She knows the steps pretty well but practicing elsewhere would be good for her.

Her coach has told her if she doesn't nail the floor routine at her next meet she will have to scratch competing on floor for the rest of the season. I am really hoping we can get her confidence built back up for the next meet.

Sounds like something else is going on... I would talk with the coach and see.

Sounds like something else is going on... I would talk with the coach and see.
I did talk with the coach and I hope it helps. I am learning about gymnastics myself and want to make sure I am asking the right questions too. I am hoping joining ChalkBucket will be a good resource for me. Thanks!

Sounds like a mental block and often the more attention you give it, the longer it takes to resolve. Pulling back and having her not compete temporarily is not a bad strategy as long as it's being presented as a strategy and not as a punishment. I'm sure she is very frustrated with herself and that's just plain cruel luck that the music crapped out during her first meet!! Sounds like she did exactly what she was supposed to do though and it's awesome that she is in her 1st year of gymnastics and already competing.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back