state title

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter won first in the state meet last year at level 6 in her age group. My question is if she does not get all her level 7 skills by meet season can she compete at level 6 again again?

Yes she can. There is no rule that if you win states you cannot repeat, a lot of kids don't get the next levels skills and end up repeating.

Keep in mind that level 6 competes in the fall and level 7 is in the spring, so she may still not have all her level 7 skills in the fall but not have to compete level 6 (unless you think this would benefit her). She can also compete 6 in the fall and 7 in the spring provided she has all that is require, however when there is more focus on one level such a 6 there is less time to focus on 7 skills and requirements especially if she wants to continue on to states in 6 as she did the year before. Bottom line she can compete another year of 6 if it is absolutely necessary.

And some major changes are coming down in Virgina... we just received the state calendar and the level 6/7 and 5 states are almost a month earlier this year which means a very condensed season from Nov/Dec until March... woo hoo... finally!!!! I came from a state that did fall/spring seasons and I like that soooo much better, but it doesn't seem to catch on here YET!

I don't know about other states, but CA has a rule to prevent what is known as "sandbagging". If a gymnast scores 37.0 or better at State competition that gymnast may not compete at the same level in the following season's State competition.

Quote from Southern California USAG website:

New Team Ruling from So Cal State Committee
June 2010
State Board policy The State Committee has spent many hours debating the issue of diversity on the award stand, the amount of awards given out and fairness in competition. In the past season we have had a number of gymnasts scoring an outstanding All Around of 37.00 and above. We have fielded many complaints from clubs, coaches and parents regarding the fairness of these extraordinary athletes competing with the novice competitor.
We have used various methods to even the playing field, with the open versus novice divisions, the platinum division and then last year the splitting of the State into two meets. Each of these solutions has brought positive results but has not solved the issue that some call sandbagging. That is, athletes repeating a level two or more seasons in a row, with outstanding results.
The State Committee has voted on a new resolution to ease the fairness issue.
Any athlete, levels 4 to 7, that scores 37.00 points or higher All Around in the previous years StateChampionships, will not be eligible to participate in any team scores for the current season, if she is repeating the level. This rule will apply at all Prelims, Invitational's, Sectionals and State Championships.
June 2010

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back