WAG "Stealing" someone's routines- frowned upon or a mark of pride?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
I know I'm a long time away from having to worry about this, but is it frowned upon to take a routine you see online and make it your own when you're in Optionals? What's "proper" etiquette?

An absolute NO NO. Families pay a lot of money for optional choreography, a floor routine in our gym goes for $300 (if done by one of the coaches) to $400-$500 if we fly someone in. Please don't disrespect all the hard work and money that went into these routines by stealing them.

I would caution against this just because things change from year to year. You need someone to choreograph who is up to date on the code as well as someone who knows dance moves your dd can do. What moves look great on one girl may look terrible on another.

cbone -

Looking online for ideas is one thing; using a routine you find as yours isn't a good idea. My dd is on her 3rd optional floor routine and they have all been done by one of the choreographers at her gym from a clean sheet of paper. The choreographers know her strengths and what to put where to highlight things given the music she has chosen. The routine has to be individualized to the athlete.

Thanks, gang! I love that I can get my random questions answered way before the really become relevant for me.

that would be a big NO NO. it's okay to borrow parts from floor and beam routines...but NOT whole routines. that would be poor form. :)

You'd be missing out on many of the movements that look good "naturally" on your dd. Some kids look better on a dance element with their arms held low....other with their arms held high, and for some, the dance element can't be made to look good at all.....so you find a different element for them to do.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back