MAG Still no cartwheel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

heatherncastro

Proud Parent
As hard as he tries my son can not seem to do it ... Is it time to call it quits ? He loves gym but are we wasting time & $$$ ? I hate to say it ,cause he really loves but I know it must be frustrating for my little guy .... :( :(:(:(

How long has it been? My older dd took a year to get a cartwheel (4to 5 years old). She could round off but not cartwheel.

Hmm I don't think so . The new gym has really been practicing a lot with him tho . He had " open gym" tonight , and the coach was really working with him .. Which was nice it see . They are trying to get him to straighten his little arms and straighten his legs . They said they were gonna keep working. He told me when we were done how much he loves it .. I don't want to take him out :(

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket

How old is he? Especially if he is 8 or younger, I wouldn't sweat it. He loves it, let him keep going. Even if he is older, if he is just doing rec he still has plenty of time in the week to do other stuff and IMO gymnastics can only help him.

It's hard not to get frustrated when a kid gets stuck on something, but if he's feeling OK about it, I wouldn't sweat it. Didn't you also change gyms recently because you had concerns about the coaching? It could be partially a coaching issue.

Thanks for making me feel better . Yes we did change gyms recently .. The new gym has a great coach & he seems like he really is working on it . Yea he's only 8 .. So your right ..we have time and he loves it . I guess it's frustrating because it seems to come so easy for others but so tough for him .

No, he has a good build for gymnastics. He's skinny.

He just needs more time with the progressions.

Cartwheels are something many boys don't develop quickly.

It is silly to expect a boy to have straight legs from the get to. I have only seen this in one boy ever and that was because his older sister was in gym and he basically would watch all the time (but was too shy to try).

It took him like 3 attempts to do it perfectly. Mainly I had to adjust his hand placement because it was backwards.

I mean, I think his parents were Romanian and possibly gymnasts anyways. His sister was one of our strongest and up and coming gymnasts at the time. Marcella something impossible to spell and pronounce.

Yeah he is a skinny little thing .. That is for sure.. He's gonna keep on practicing .. I've got to give him credit for being determined

ImageUploadedByChalkBucket1404272242.391324.jpg

is this the one that i suggested to change his direction? when all else fails, change to the other side. he's probably going on his wrong arm. should never take a year to learn. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back