WAG Straight arms on kip

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

roll123

Proud Parent
DD had the kip that came and went most of the summer but has had it consistently since late Sept. but her arms are always bent. What causes this? Is it too little power in her kip or is this something that will come with time and experience since she is still a relatively new at this skill.

My daughter has the same problem. She just learned her kip this summer and tries to muscle through the ending. She bends her arms and doesn't rotate her wrists around the bar enough to get all the way up all the time. We are working on making her swing stronger and longer to help her increase the speed of her kip.

Causes = strength, timing, experience. It is something that can take some girls a year to really get with straight arms. It took my DD months to have a pretty kip. The more they do it, the better it will get. Plus lots of bars conditioning will help.

She does have a pull up bar at home, would there be any exercises that would help her?
Funny thing I wannacoach she is also learning the flute so I know exactly what you mean!

Causes = strength, timing, experience. It is something that can take some girls a year to really get with straight arms.

Glad to hear this as I keep waiting for that darn kip to be consistent. Just yesterday, I realized I was worrying more about it being straight arms than being consistent. Baby steps.

LOL @iwannacoach about it being like violin practice. That sounds (ha!) about right.

I do "kip pull downs" with my level 3 and 4's. They use a 9lbs (or 3lbs each hand weights for the little ones) weighted yoga bar. Lay back down on the floor with arms extended above head, while they hold their bar/weights. and simply bring the bar over head then to their upper thighs. emphasis on keeping arms straight! Also using a resistant band around a shoulder height anchored object (like the side of the bar set) and pull the band down to side of hips (while standing) and release back to the head height, SLOWLY! We repeat the weighted bar drills 10 times, and the resistant band drill 12! Good luck!

She does have a pull up bar at home, would there be any exercises that would help her?
Funny thing I wannacoach she is also learning the flute so I know exactly what you mean!

fweeee...yonk!!!!!

Most kids think it's what you do on the way up that makes a kip work, because that's what makes sense. What really makes it work is everything that happens up to the point when their feet come to the bar and the extension. Done right, and timed correctly, the result is "up" without really having to work on the way up...... well, relative to the beginning and middle of the skill.

DD goes out on the back deck and puts her hands on the railing and jumps up to front support over and over again with straight arms. She learned her kip last spring and it is now beautiful.

The 300,00th-500,000th one is the charm. Just be thankful that your daughter only has to learn and perfect kips for one event . . . though thank goodness I will only have to live through Backward Beam Angst with one child!

She is letting her arms bend, that is what is causing it... it really is that simple. She should be kipping as high as she can without arm bends and it will eventually materialize.

Watching DD learn to kip was truly an anxiety provoking experience. The girls on the team were anxious, making all the parents anxious, making the girls more anxious.....

All the girls got it within a few months. I feel SO bad for the girls I read about here who take six months or a year. Due to a poorly timed injury I had the special privilege of watching DD learn to kip twice. My poor DD was so frustrated having to essentially start over. But it comes. And the straight arms come. She'll get it.

And after the straight arm goal is reached, then comes the goal of the smooth connection with the goal of the cast that is high enough (horizontal L4 and above for L5)..... After 300k-500k times as previously mentioned, it does all start to come together :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back