MAG Stretching at home

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

OwlGalLiz

Proud Parent
What are some great stretches (to help to get to splits) for a young level 4? DS was in tears after practice today because it hurt when Coach "helped" him. They were attempting splits and stretching at the end of practice. I am going to ask Coach at the next practice if he can recommend any stretches, but thought I would ask here too. DS was not the only one who cried, there was another young level 4 who did as well. DS is super powerful, but I guess we need to work on flexibility. Any recommendations?

I know it was exactly a week ago I asked along the same lines (soreness in legs) but we've narrowed it down and it's the practice of splits. A teammate's mom said he was close to over stretching today in practice (why he hurt). So we need to get an at home stretching practice going. ASAP. Thanks for any help!

Make sure his muscles are warmed up before he begins to stretch at home, do some jumping jacks or run around in the back yard. Stretching while watching TV is good because it distracts from the slight discomfort. If he is very far off the ground it might help to put some cushions underneath him and remove a cushion after the stretch is comfortable until eventually (after a few days or weeks) he is all the way down to the floor. If he is already very close to the floor, but just can't make the last couple on inches try stretching over splits by putting one foot on top of a book or cushion (not to high) to give more of a stretch. Don't force the stretch or bounce into the stretch and hold it for at least 30 seconds but no longer than a minute, then get up and walk around a bit. Also the typical hamstring stretched work well to such as a pike stretch and straddle stretch. Remember to point your toes!

Gymnastisism already mentioned a lot. I'd like to add that the feeling of "getting comfortable" in a stretching position is very important. It is supposed to feel like stretching not like torture. Pushing the boy down until he cries wont actually help because the muscles don't relax and get stiff rather than flexible.

Thanks! We're working on flexibility on non-gym days. I am slightly dreading tomorrow because that's usually the splits day and day he ends up sore. Hopefully some of these exercises we've been doing at home will help. He was even leading dad tonight in telling him how to stretch. So he *wants* it, it's just a matter of making it happen and loosening him up. We shall see how tomorrow goes.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

Thanks to those who offered suggestions here and via message. We started stretches and worked on relaxing and this Wednesday ( major conditioning/splits day) was tear free. He was proud of himself for relaxing and was able to do better than he's ever done before.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back