Stuck in a rut on bars.... :P

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Grace Elena

Well I'm 13 and I've been in gymnastics since I was 2. I've been having this thing with bars where I refuse to do my giants. It's because my coach said they were awful and dangerous,He was right of course, but I was so discouraged, I just stopped working them, and now I only have a month to get them back before I got to IGC. So I am having this mental block that I need help with and I'm running out if time!

Why do you have to have them for camp? Don't put those timelines on yourself it just adds to the stress of getting them. You will get them when you get them. when you least expect it, calm down and focus. Let the skills come when they come.

Please don't hit yourself over the head with a gymnastics club just because you started when you were two. I like coaching and helping kids learn as much as anybody else, and I would love to see the smile on your face when you happily declare "I GOT MY GIANTS". IMO it's not so important that you started at age two. What is important is that you do things that you are ready for. If you feel ready now, and want them now, that's great. You may think they're hard, but they don't have to be. If you have team mates that have learned giants, it's fair to assume the coach knows how to teach them. So tune into yourself, and see if something like any of these statements are true, and don't feel it's your fault if you see yourself in any of these statements, because you are BY FAR not the first gymnast, nor the last that sees a little of them selves in this "mirror";

possibly.......

You had an idea in your head about how to do giants before your coach started training them with you, so anything you're told could seem really complicated and confusing because none of what you're being told fits with what you already knew before you started.

I gotta get to the handstand part of the giant as fast as possible...

I know I have to stetch out on the way down, but I might hit the low bar so I'll kind of pike through early and make up for it with an extra hard tap.

The harder I try, the worser it gets

How do you expect me to get upside down while rising upward and trying to support myself at the top

Those five are some of the most common "blocks" I've collected over the years. If any of them apply to you, it's because you are just like so many other girls that have learned giants, but first had to figure out with their coach, what it was that was keeping them from moving on. I started learning much faster when I figured out the first statement applied to me.

see if your coach can tell you something technical and practical to work on your giants. not just that they're awful and dangerous. gee...thanks coach!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back