Parents Summer Schedule L6/7 Optionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymRatMama

Proud Parent
I was wondering how my DD's summer schedule is compared to other L6/7 gymnasts. Just to clarify, all of the girls already qualified for L7, but their skills at the end of the summer will determine their comp level for next season. They will be practicing 4 days per week for a total of 18hrs per week. The breakdown is 2 six hour days and 2 three hour nights. They never did the 6 hour days before. It seems a bit long to me. Is this the norm?

Although my DD hasn't competed JO, she is training with the girls on the border of competing 6/7 this season. They train three four hour days and one six hour day in the summer, for 18 hours. Until summer it was three four hour nights and one five hour day, for 17 hours. They take a break on the five/six hour day and have a snack. I thought it seemed like a long day, but those are often my DDs favorite days.

Our camp girls, 4 weeks maximum, go 5 days from 9-3 all levels.
Regular training week max would be about 15 total, 2-3 hrs at a session

So jealous... We are only doing 2 hr 45 min times 4 days so 11 hours :( I'm in the process of trying to work in some privates, extra conditioning and maybe ballet to make up for it a bit. We still have school until June 24 so I have a little time. Good luck!

Looking at the schedule, it looks like our L6/L7s are doing three days of 4 hours and one day of 3 hours for a total of 15 hours. In addition, they can sign up for up to an additional 3 hours through specialty classes.

At DD's gym, they have the girls training 7 with the training 8's, so they are there 20 hours. The ones who are training 6 are going 15 hours. They have mainly kept the school schedule (practicing at night) except on Fridays where they practice in the morning.

The girls at this level in dd's gym train 20 hrs during the school year but go up to 25 hrs a week in summer. Five days for five hrs each day.

My dd trains this schedule all year and they have a good 20 minute to 1/2 hr break.

At both DD present gym and her previous, L6/7 was 4 days a week, 4 hour practices, both in summer and school year - only difference was/is some morning practices in the summer to beat the heat. L8 and up do 5 days a week, no one is offered more. Oh, the 5s train same hours as 6s as its similar skills, just sometimes different groups (more based upon kids age than anything - only youngsters that went with the "optional" group (which was 7 and up) this year were a couple of 10/11 year olds who were 5s but already training L7/8.

Old gym had an official 10-15 minute break each day, new one fits in short breaks between rotations (bathroom/grab a bite and back out - about 2-5 minutes) - I think the girls focused more when they knew they'd have an official break to chat and eat - but its all good!

DDs gym keeps the same hours year-round 3.5 hrs/4 days per week=14 hrs/week for the 5-6-7 group. I'm not sure if the strictly 6/7 group adds an extra day as DDs group won't move up until after the fall compulsory season. I'm fine with this since it gives the kids plenty of time to get outside and enjoy the beaches and pools. DD gets an extra 2hrs of conditioning in the pool with her swimming lessons and another 2-4 hrs on family hikes.

All our L4 through L8 will be practicing 3 days 5.5 hours, and 2 days 4 hours, so 24.5 hours total. But they already go 19.5 hours during the school year, so not such a big increase for them.

Thank for all of the input. The 18 hours seems to be on par. During the school year they do 4 days 4 hours for a total of 16 hours so this isn't much of an increase. The 6 hour days just seemed long. I have found out that they will have a half hour break though, which I am sure is needed.

Kipper has 6 hour workouts a couple of days per week this summer. However, they get a 2 hour break, which gives them time for lunch, rest, and just hanging out with friends. So far, she loves it. Since conditioning takes up so much time, they are able to work a lot of upgrades on the longer days. I'm not sure how it would work with just a 1/2 hour break, but it may be just fine.

Reactions: sce
29 hours a week here for level 7. 3 five hour days and 2 7 hour days. She had the option to only go 25hrs (5 5hr days) but the girl we Carpool with is a level 9 and required to do the 29, and she's my DDs ride home since I work.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back