Summer schedules?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

This will be our first summer on the team and I'm just curious how our gym compares to other gyms as far as summer schedules and rules about summer. Does your gym require camps or not allow camps? Our gym will only allow us to attend one of about 3 or 4 camps. We have two weeks of "gymnastics vacation" throughout the summer and rest is required. Is this pretty normal? What does your gym tend to focus on during the summer? Our gym apparently focuses almost exclusively on conditioning (we don't compete in the fall and that training will begin mid-fall.) I have no complaints with this schedule or rules....I'm just curious how it compares.

Our Team training ends on around May 15th and begins in the first weekend in September. There is a summer camp that offers gymnastics in the morning and the team kids can attend but it is $25 a day. The camp lasts 8 weeks. So that leaves about 6 weeks without any gym at all. Many of the team girls do no gym at all in the summer.

Some of the team girls do attend sleepaway camps, mostly GymRep in Quebec as it is so close, but others have gone to Woodward and IGC.

Dang it! Just typed out a long response and lost it!
Anyway--our levels 7-10 go 20 hrs a week during the summer (4 days, 5 hrs a day).
Focus on new skills for Optionals--compulsories focus on routines (competition season starts end of september for them).
No set amount of vacation that can be taken.
There is a team camp that all girls are encouraged to attend, but they don't push other gymnastics camps at all. Many of the older girls are going to various college camps though.

Our optionals go 5 days a week for 4 hours a day (M-F) They mostly train skills for the next season. We don't compete until Jan.

Compulsories go 3 days a week for 4 hours a day and they also mainly train skills.

They don't close the gym for any "vacation" time. The gym is not opposed to the girls going camps. My DD goes to one week of camp.

In our gym, they practice on the same days in the summer as normal practice days throughout competition season. The days are a tad longer (4-5 hours vs 4) but it's far more intensive. Summer's focus is mostly on skills and cleanup thereof. They don't encourage kids going to camps but they don't disallow it either.

My girls will be transitioning to more days and longers hours since moving up levels. I don't have the official schedule yet. This is from talking to their coach. The whole team is going to camp in June. This is new this year and something they are looking forward to. Even the coaches are going! :) My oldest will be level 4 and my younger child will be level 3. The gym will be closed spring break since it is a transition time-finished with meets and getting ready to start a new level. They will have holidays off and usually a couple of days off at the end of May-Memorial day etc. They have a modified schedule through thanksgiving and Xmas. :)

At DDs gym, compulsories do the same days/hours, but instead of the usual 4:30pm start time, they start around 2pm. It is VERY HOT here and no A/C, so it is a little cooler then and they can still play outside when they get home, swim, etc, since it is light for so long. Nice to have dinners together for summer. The optionals switch to EARLY am, I think 7:30 or so and practice same hours as usual, too. I think.

They do a lot of conditioning in the summer as well. Fridays are fun days and they do lots of games and fun conditioning. My daughter loves Fun Fridays. :)

They get a week off around July 4th and about 2 weeks during December and that is it.

Our gym allows the girls to miss 3 weeks total through out the year. They can choose to take it in the summer if they like. The gym only closes for a few days around the 4th of July because the girls compete in the AAU Age Group Nationals during this time. They normally compete USAG in the fall and spring, but they really enjoy picking up a couple of AAU meets in the late spring/early summer.

As far as practice goes, prep ops usually practice 3 days per week for 3 hrs, Level 4's 4 days per week for 3hrs, Level 5's 4 days per week for 4hrs, and Level 6 and up practice 5 days per week for 4 hrs. Most of the practice is conditioning. They do practice their old routines up until Nationals while still learing new skills for the following season.

The gym is not opposed to camps, but they do make the girls wait until after Nationals.

Gym has no problem with camp and many of the team girls all go together plus the gym runs its own camp later in the summer. Vacation is fine and we do get to declare 2 weeks as "vacation time" and tuition is decreased accordingly(at least it used to be).

Most team girls have practice starting in the mornings. L5s tend to come in mid afternoon. Hours are increased for all team girls and they do more conditioning. Our compulsory season starts in Sept. so those girls are doing conditioning plus working routines and a little uptraining here and there. Optionals do alot of conditioning plus working on new skills for the next level or just to beef up a routine at their current level. L8 and above are usually in the gym 20-24 hours/week. No practices on weekends and a few days off over July 4.

Summer schedule is M-F for 6 hours and Sat from 9-2...no rest for the weary. Only one week of vacation and they tell us which week..people do take other times off during summer but it is definitely deiscouraged. Summer camp is totally discouraged whether it's gymnastics camp or not...some people still do camp but they hear about it for weeks afterwards.

In general, the summer is for working new skills and TONS of conditioning. My dauighter still loves it so it's what we do...

Team girls go the same number of hours during the summer, they just go in the morning instead of the evening. They do a lot of working on skills for the next level and conditioning. The gym is closed for a week right at the end of school (since so many girls miss so much time with other obligations then anyway). Camp is O.K. The girls like to get a group together and go at the same time. Flipper used to love to go to camp but has decided she doesn't want anybody spotting her but her regular coaches. The gym puts together a couple of weekends at the lake for the optional levels at which the girls ski, tube, EAT and goof off. Lots of great memories made of being shot off the water catapult by the big girls (and coaches)! We love the summer schedule because it gives Flipper time to just be a kid.

Daughter will with the rest of the team go all summer for 4-1/2 hours 5 days Monday-Friday in the morning early afternoon. They have 1-2 weeks when they have camp week at the gym 9-3. The gym closes one week during the summer. If you want to go to an outside camp like IGC you have to get permission. They let you miss a week here or there for family vacation but if you do not go in the summer you can not remain on the team. They also do alot of conditioning. I do not think my daughter really loves going this much in the summer but she understands that if she doesn't she can not be on the team.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back