WAG Switching back to old gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 17723

I need some honest opinions. I started gymnastics when I was 8 or 9 because I had natural talent, which my parents saw after I started to try standing tucks at home :rolleyes: they immediately put me in gymnastics, USAG gym. I started in classes did about a year. I quickly advanced, and soon was on prep opt novice. At the time, my gym only competed girls 10+ (age) so I wasn't going to compete that season, but I could train like I was going to. Our ultimate goal was to put my in intermediate prep opt by the time I competed. But, getting big skills was more important than my safety. I did a robhbt into the pit, landed on my head on the floor (freak accident, lost where I was) and nearly immediately got concussion symptoms. Well, I told my coaches and they made me tumble again until I perfected it. Being so young I didn't know how to say no, even now I'm not sure if I would be able to. I ended up with a concussion leaving me out of the gym for about 2 months. They also made me do things like bh on beam without a spot. I was nowhere near ready to do it on highbeam, but they made me anyways. I got hurt again. We left, for the sake that we weren't pleased. I quit for about a year. Then I went to an YMCA, where I am now. I have had a bad year (old l4), a funomenal year (new l3), and an ok year (new l4). We lost our old hc due to other coaches complaining about her, and we got a new head coach that came from a USAG gym. I highly dislike her. The coaches I used to work with have either transfered to my old hc new gym or work with other girls. I am no longer pleased with this gym, we have obviously gone downhill, I have gotten in trouble for asking to privately talk to one of my coaches (about a teammate of mine who I suspected had.... depres.... anore....bulim....etc.), and have gotten multiple injuries due to lack of drills, spotting, and a strong coaching staff. I am considering going back to the gym I came from.... the coaches were fired as many parents complained, and the new coaching staff is very kind (I go to open gym occassionally). Would that just be wierd for me to go back and try out? Disrespectful? :rolleyes:

Considering the amount of time that has passed and the fact that the entire staff has been replaced, I don't think it would be. It's almost like an entirely new gym.

Agreed. As long as they are willing to welcome you back, I would go for it. Is there even anyone there who would remember your or why you left, at this point?

We had 2 girls move gyms last year do to training conflicts and they would be there everyday, and they came back this year, we welcomed them with open arms because personally I love them, they are such a sweet family. So go for it!

Agreed. As long as they are willing to welcome you back, I would go for it. Is there even anyone there who would remember your or why you left, at this point?
That's the thing... one coach that taught me in classes (I LOVE him) is now coaching xcel, which is where I would go for a year. Our compulsory "head coach" (unofficially, but that's what everyone says) daughter is training at the gym; and I feel like girls (my sisters practically) at my current gym will think I'm a traitor

I'd say yes it would be fine to go back now that the dangerous coaches are gone! I'm going back to my old gym most likely to also compete xcel as the gym is being bought by another gym. Needless to say the issues I had with the gym that wouldn't fly at any other gym will probably be taken care of. As far as the traitor thing, you should try to explain that xcel is a better option for you and your current gym just doesn't offer that. I'm dealing with the thought of leaving my rec gym too and it's sad to think about leaving some great friends (of course the whole traitor thing doesn't really apply with rec). Good luck!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back