Switching Coaches

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I just wanted to get different opinions on what you guys think I should do about a sticky situation. As I said I really want to compete and so do the other 2 girls I mentioned. The problem is although I love my coach that has been working with me for about 2 years now and I've definitely progressed. I don't know if he can actually get us to where we want to be competition wise. I mean he loves to get us to work on giants on the strap bar, various other skills on bars and working tumbling passes on tumbletrack but that really won't get us to competition. I would like to work on skills on the floor to add into a routine, start working on vaults to compete and even connecting skills on the bars. Also he is really nice but sometimes I think he's too nice to be tough on us about form and stuff. I was thinking maybe if I made that clear to him it may help but I'm just not sure if he knows enough about girls optional routines since he mostly works with level 4 girls. He has coached higher levels in the past but I'm not sure about whether he has worked on putting together routines. There is another coach in our gym from Bulgaria (he's 47 and thinking about trying to compete again himself in a couple of years) who has a lot of experience and I know he could get us ready for competition and he seems to feel as if I could compete if I work at it so I was thinking of asking him to work with us. The problem is I don't want to hurt my coach's feelings. He has been working with me for 2 years and has helped me a lot even with my ankle injury. What do you think I should do, any suggestions?

Yeah, this situation has sticky written all over it. I agree it would be most respectful to explain exactly what you are looking for out of a coach. And ask point blank if he feels he can take you to your goal (if he says no, problem solved!).

I had to leave a coach I had for 9 years because his program changed and it wasn't working for me anymore. I knew I wouldn't reach my potential. I had to leave, and it did cause hurt feelings, but I am so glad I did. Because you will still bump into this coach seeing as it's within the same club, it might be awkward, but do what you need to do for your gymnastics. If he is really a good guy he will understand. Try not to alienate him though because you don't want to burn any bridges as an adult gymnast.

Lastly, be careful posting details on this board, I know a lot of coaches read the boards but do not post, and you may hurt feelings, it happened to some others on here, so just FYI.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back