Parents Team parent contract? Buy out clause??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sorry about the clumbsy structure of this post......

I think you'll see a lot of gyms at the new L3. I wouldn't worry about not enough head room at the new gym for the time being, but would advise you to keep your eyes open, while at meets, to get a sense for what other gyms are doing with first year kids at her age and level.

History has been more harsh, than kind, to kids who are at, or very near, the top of their gym's food chain. So consider the implcations a year or two down the road as you child advance into levels that isolate her, skill wise, from the rest of the kids.

You need to consider what's out there so you'll know likely places to go if the time should come for your dd to move up and beyond this gym's capacity for training. I started coaching in a similar position. Most of the kids were at the mid to high compulsory level, plus two kids with limited optional skills. To top that off..... I'd never been a head coach, nor a team coach, but aside from a few whoopsie's quickly recovered from, the kids progressed faster than their peers at most other gym clubs. I guess I fell into the right kind of mess........ The point is, without a track record to check up on, it's hard to know what you're going to end up with until you let it bake for a while.

It's too bad you can't have her do a month of pre-team before committing to team. So maybe pre-team trains 6 hours and she does that for a month and LOVES it, you know 9 hours will be a breeze.. Maybe she will be too tired with 6 hours and you know that team may be too much for her. Our gym always starts with pre-team. I honestly have never seen them pull a rec kid to team. Probably because with pre-team you increase hours yearly.. from 1.5 hours a week one year to 3 hours a week, to 6 hours a week to 10 hours a week.. then next year if you have skills make team. pre-team or developmental team at our gym starts at age 3.5 and you stay till you are about 8.

and those "stipulations" have been challenged in court ^^^. and the gym owners win. why? because it is reasonable. the other is demonstrably unreasonable legally speaking.

it will NEVER hold up in a court of law. 1, because the contract is for 6 year old. 2nd, because the contract is for a 6 year old. 3rd, because the...you get it.

gyms are doing this because they are more and more getting burned every month. if it puts people in line, great. but a Judge will tell the owner to pretty much go wipe themselves with that contract. :)

Yes...but we all know it could hold up in a "court of gymnastics". Gymnastics is a small world...and many club owners are friends. If you are going to break a contract and plan on going to another club...make sure you have a warranted...legitimate...logical reason for it.

We received the contract from our new gym yesterday. It also says that we must commit for a year, but there is no mentioning of a fee. And at the end it says that if you wish to withdraw, you must notify the office 7 days prior the end of the month.
So, I'm confused, there is no fee, and we can withdraw any time, then what does it mean that we have to "commit" for a year?

Yes...but we all know it could hold up in a "court of gymnastics". Gymnastics is a small world...and many club owners are friends. If you are going to break a contract and plan on going to another club...make sure you have a warranted...legitimate...logical reason for it.

I quoted this b/c I wanted to quote Dunno's comment above it - funny, that quote never showed to me in this thread. Odd.

Anyway - I'm so glad this thread is here. I was never planning on breaking contract. Ever. I just wanted to answer my husband's question if it was standard, that was it. I do want to add that it wasn't a contract with her, but a parent contract.

It never said how much the buyout fee was, but unless something happens (non medical) and she is/we are unable to continue gymnastics, then it doesn't really matter. We're committed for the year (and beyond, I'm sure). :)

We received the contract from our new gym yesterday. It also says that we must commit for a year, but there is no mentioning of a fee. And at the end it says that if you wish to withdraw, you must notify the office 7 days prior the end of the month.
So, I'm confused, there is no fee, and we can withdraw any time, then what does it mean that we have to "commit" for a year?

Don't sign up if you don't plan to finish the year (obviously unforeseen or neutral circumstances like injury or a job transfer to a different area are generally not withstanding).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back