Parents Team parent contract? Buy out clause??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HappyMom

Proud Parent
My DD just made team (yay!!!) and considering we just started rec gymnastics this year...and now she's on team...well, it's been a whirlwind and I have a thousand questions!!

We were given a team parent contract to sign. Most of it seems pretty standard, based on stuff I've read on here (no CGM behavior - phrased differently of course; drop off/pick up on time; must be up to date on tuition and fees to compete; must purchase complete uniform for DD; coaching is to be done by coaching staff and that my job is to be a supportive parent; etc), but one thing struck me as something I wanted to ask you guys.

There is a clause that is bothering my husband - that by signing the contract we understand we are committed to the next year with DD's gym and if my DD doesn't continue team that there will be a buy out fee (excluding medical issues).

Is this standard?

My DD is only 6. She's gone from never doing gymnastics to going to team in less than a year (she's almost got her kip - only needs a light spot - so crazy to me!) and wants to do gymnastics all the time (on playdates, in the backyard, in the living room, etc), but my DH is concerned that the increased hours may be too much - she'll be going from 1 hour a week to 10 hours/week. While I don't think it's going to happen (she LOVES gymnastics and seems to have found something that her 6 year old heart is excited and passionate about), what if she burns out? That's DH's concern.

Is the buyout clause standard? (help put my husband's mind at ease...or not...lol)

I haven't heard it called a 'buy-out fee', but yes, at our gym, we were expected to be committed to the team for the coming year and to be at all meets (excluding medical issues as you said). Once competition season was over, dd was invited to be be on team for the next season. At that point we could have left, but once committed we stayed for that coming year.

Yep. At our gym you are committing to the whole year when you join team. All meets are mandatory except 2 significant travel meets. The only way to not pay for a meet/your portion of coaches fee is a medical excuse with a doctors note. Team is a big financial and time commitment :)

Does it specify what the fee is? 1-3 months' tuition is pretty standard. It seems to be mostly used to dissuade jumpers (switching gyms mid season). It really isn't for what your dh is talking about, where 3 months in, dd realizes team isn't for her and she wants to go back to rec. In that situations, most gyms would work with you on that. But before signing, I would definitely get clarification on that.

While I am aware of such clauses, I'm not sure they are actually legal and would hold up in court. Maybe "Dunno" knows. I'm pretty sure a lawyer could crush them in court.

I think to put this another way, if you leave before the season is over that there will be amount of your team fees that you may or may not get back. this is due to the gym having to pay meet entry fees months in advance and most of the time never getting back fees for gymnasts that cancel. In addition, the club plans on a certain number of gymnasts competing the season and a certain amount from each parent to cover the costs of the coaches; they can't make those costs up if gymnasts quit mid-season.

You should plan to commit to it for one year and then when the season is over you can all decide if she wants to continue. Going from 1 hour a week to 10 hours a week is a big jump, but I don't think 10 hours is too much for a six year old. Our gym also makes us sign a contract that we will participate (i.e. PAY) for the entire year. That's pretty fantastic if she's six years old and almost has her kip from training one hour a week!

I think you can safely commit to this year, although down the line the specifics could be troublesome. Whether or not it would legally hold up in court is a different story of whether it's ethical to agree to something and then refuse to hold up your end. I think if you choose to take a spot on the team, you should then complete the financial obligation you agreed to.

I have never seen a specific buy out clause, no. However, again, would need more specifics. What is common is to require some amount of notice of withdrawal, and be responsible for tuition up to that month (for example, if you want to withdraw June 1st, you would have to tell them by May 1st, and if you leave May 7th anyway, you still need to pay for May). Also, for team you generally pay other fees on top of tuition that are administered by a booster club typically and go to paying coaching and team entry fees for meets. These are generally called assessments and paid in installments throughout the year. When someone withdraws from a team, they don't get a refund of the assessment money. It is not typical in my area to sign anything obligating someone to pay the remainder of the year's assessment if they withdraw. That may in essence be what this clause is asking you to do.

Personally I don't think that's right, but maybe they've had some issue in the past with people leaving for other gyms in the area. BUT again I think if you sign it, you should follow the contract in good faith. If it's outrageous, then you shouldn't patronize the business in the first place. My guess is it's most often enforced when people go to other gyms, since they clearly excepted medical issues. If the hours are too much for your daughter, presumably she'll still want to do gymnastics and just move to a lower hour preteam. That would just be an internal thing within the gym so I am quite certain any reasonable gym would not obligate you with this clause for an internal switch within their gym. Just ask them.

it will NEVER hold up in a court of law. 1, because the contract is for 6 year old. 2nd, because the contract is for a 6 year old. 3rd, because the...you get it.

gyms are doing this because they are more and more getting burned every month. if it puts people in line, great. but a Judge will tell the owner to pretty much go wipe themselves with that contract. :)

The only stipulation we have is that if we quit, we will not get any money back for meets they have already submitted payment for, which is completely understandable. Last year, my daughter had spent 6 months on the developmental team, then about 8 months training for Level 3, and one of her teammates quit just a couple of weeks before their first meet. I have told my DD that once I pay for it, she is committed! :)

what difference does it make, you want to be on team or not? They don't want some person who is just trying it, they want a commitment.

There is a reason for it. Team gymnastics is not a big money spinner, they need to keep the gymnast to coach ratio low enough so that each child gets the individual attention they need but high enough to cover the costs of coaches. Many teams basically run on a break even basis and dropping just one kid from the team can mean the group is no longer financially viable.

in a rec class when a kid drops out they can just be replaced with another kid on a waiting list but a team is a year long learning progress another kid can't just be switched in mid year to make sure it all stays financially viable.

Thanks so much for the replies guys. I understood the basic premise behind the clause, but was curious if it was standard. And no, I was never concerned about it holding up in court. :rolleyes: (since I'd NEVER go to court over something so petty)

I feel like it came across as we were just going to dabble in team and see if it worked...that isn't the case at all. I just wanted to gather information and know what we were committing to before signing the contract, because once we committed - that was it. She's in for the year.

My DD was already committed in her heart, I was already ready to sign and commit for her to be on team, but DH had a few questions and wanted to get some answers first. 2 things really concerned him - the hours and that clause. Since this will become a family-ish commitment (once competition season starts), I wanted all of us to be on the same page, kwim?

Since this is a new gym (opened last year) and this is a new team, there are no team parents I could ask our questions. I talked to the owner and HC yesterday and they alleviated ALL his concerns, so she's on team! Contract signed, commitment made, and we're in for the long haul.

And honestly - I'm SUPER excited to be on this ride and see what happens/where she goes! They told me yesterday that DD (who started rec this year) had gone through 2 levels in the last 2-3 months (with just 1 hour/week), she was in their top 4 they were watching before team tryouts (lol - wonder if they tell everyone that?), and they think she'll be ready to compete (old) level 5/(new) level 4 by competition season. I'm sure they know what they're talking about, but reading some of the skills (and looking at youtube), well...I'll be curious to sit in some practices in July/August to see how far she's progressed. She amazes me daily. :D

They know that these are young kids (mostly) so the first month is going to consist of conditioning as play (races, trampoline, obstacle courses, etc) to break up training. Keep it very fun. :)

Super excited about this new adventure we're embarking upon! :)

Most gyms have something like this listed but it will never hold up in court assuming the gym owners actually take the time to sue you and even if they did its not an enforceable contract. Most contracts where kids are involved can't really have the commitment clause because so many change their minds like we change underwear. Most won't, but you won't get any monies already paid back. Mostly because the gyms can't get it back especially for meets etc. You have to go into it with your 6yo may change her mind before they year is up and yes you may have to walk away with out any refunds. Any parent that has switched gyms can relate to walking away from funds paid.

If it's around 1 month of tuition, I'd consider that reasonable (it's not much different from asking for 30 days' notice). Most gyms aren't high margin businesses, so they're just looking for some basic stability in income vs expenses.

If it's a much higher number that's punitive or vengeful, I would be concerned.

Tell your husband to sign the contract, climb aboard the crazy train and, without fail, learn how to walk around with "that glazed look" that is so populars these days for gym daddies. Geez pops, it's only for the next 10+ years.

Tell your husband to sign the contract, climb aboard the crazy train and, without fail, learn how to walk around with "that glazed look" that is so populars these days for gym daddies. Geez pops, it's only for the next 10+ years.

Hahaha! That's pretty much what I told him, prior to being a "nice wife" and getting the answers to his questions. Between you and me, the contract would have been signed anyway. ;)

He kept saying...maybe you should just put her on preteam. It's less hours, less money, etc, etc... I quickly vetoed that idea. (I don't think he was putting 2 and 2 together...pre team leads to team. Or else he was in denial :p ) I had 2 thoughts about preteam v. team:

1 - DD is super excited about being on team and why allow her to tryout and make team only to snatch the rug out from under her?
2 - for a kid to go from no gymnastics to possibly competing old level 5 (definitely will be competing old level 4) in less than a year? I figure she's got some natural ability and we should allow her to explore it.

AND

3 - The crazy train sounds infinitely more fun/interesting than sanity.

It all sounds pretty good..... with a few thoughts about L3 vs L4. I'm kinda conservative in terms of level placement with 6 and 7 year olds because they have a hard time seeing the big picture and reconciling struggles with perception of the assumed challenge. Kids can always exceed expectations and be quite happy they did, but when they have less success than they'd hoped for, or less than their peers who may have a 2 year advantage, well, you know......

Sure, I've parted from this philosophy with success, and feel it can work for those kids who just seem to "have it." What I'd like to pass on to you is that a decision by the coaches to put her at L3 is a great way to go if that's what they feel should be done. If they suggest L4, the question I'd ask is "Provided my darling works as hard and diligently as you've seen thus far, and barring injuries, will she fit comfortably with the rest of the L4 kids and have a reasonable chance to compete successfully in her L4 age group." If they answer that with an emphatical yes, then look them (gently) in the eye and say "Ok, if you're sure you and your coaches feel she'll make it, and can commit to that notion, she's all yours and I'm behind you, and the viewing room partition, all the way."

Just to help your husband cope emotionally (and ego wise), but him an engineers hat and let him wear it, privately of course, whenever you're willing to let him blow the horn on that crazy train, but do draw the line and avoid letting him lay the track whichever way he wants.

Wise advice, IWC. Thank you. :)

I have a couple of questions - this is a new gym (opened last year) and so this is a new team. There is one L7, but the rest are moving from the intermediate or preteam class (except my DD and 2 others from rec). They're all L3 (new), but the HC feels that about 3 new team members could be competitive at L4 (new). I'm going to wait to see what DD learns/does with the additional hours of practice each week and probably wait until later this summer to really discuss level placement. Or will that be too late?

Also - I know that most competitions now start at L4, but with the new levels - will they start L3? Or still at (new) L4?

Next year, there will be armies of L3 out there and more L2 and L1 meets as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back