The balancing act with school and gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgurl

Coach
Gymnast
well i have recently started gymnastics again and am going into open level 4 in Australia. This means i am training 7.5 hrs a week - I know its not much but it is a big jump from 2 hrs a week. My mum is making me trial it for a term and if i am not on top of things i have to cut back to 2hrs and because i really love the sport i want to do as much of it as i can. Luckily i am generally the person that can get away with 70+% without studying - this is only for some subjects though and i need help finding the time to complete hw and any other suggestions - should i start studying in the holidays?

Also i am in Australia and have been put into Open Level 4 could someone tell me what that is in regular levels?

It depends what state you are in as to what it is in regular levels.

7.5 hours a week is not a lot, as you will see many of the gymnasts on here train more than 20 and they do manage to keep up with their school work so I'm sure you will be able to as well.

Make sure you prioritize and use the time you do have well. Use the days you don't have gym for your major homework and assignment days. Car trips to and from the gym and good for study.

I think you can do it--you just need to be organized and plan ahead. If you don't have one already, get a calendar or planner to write down upcoming homework assignments and tests or quizzes in. That way you can look ahead and realize that while you might not have homework today (off day from the gym), you can start studying for that big test you have in three days. Or work on the paper due next week. My DDs both plan ahead very well and both get straight As. From what I've seen gymnasts tend to do well in school because they're so good at planning and focusing! Good luck!!

My dd is 13 and in 8th grade. She trains at the gym 20 hrs a week (M, T, Th & F 3:30 - 7:30 and also on Sat 12-4). She always has her homework done. She tries to do as much as she can in school. If she gets free time in class, maybe 10-15 minutes, she does some math or whatever she has. Then she finishes the rest when she gets home from the gym because she goes to the gym straight from school. At most she has an hour's worth of work to do, but 95% of the time she doesn't have that much. As for school projects and book reports and the such, she starts them immediately. She never waits because her schedule does not allow for procrastination.

You can do this, if it is important to you, you will figure out your schedule and make it all work. Once you get into the routine, you won't even realize how much you are actually accomplishing!!! :D Good luck!

Thanks for all your help and i know that 7.5 hrs is nothing compared to what a lot of people are training but it is a big jump from the 2hr rec class i was doing as opposed to gradually building up days. just another quick thing - i am in NSW Australia and have been placed in open level four so can anyone tell me where it fits in with regular levels?

Last edited:
Its similar to regular level 4 but less competitive. Around an average level 3, or very competitive level 2.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back