Parents The meet from... heck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Reaction score
Just a little update... that meet that my dd went to last weekend... the one that I said had such crazy-hard scoring? Well, apparently some level 5 teams (not ours) lodged a formal complaint and the word on the street is that all scores are going to be raised by 2 points... +1 in floor and +1 in bars (I thought the beam scoring was harder than the bar scoring, but whatever). I don't think this is "official" yet, so the coach hasn't told the girls. If it really is happening, it would mean that Kathy does have a qualifying score for sectionals, but my hope is that she'll get a qualifying score "for real" this weekend and it won't really matter. I don't even really care if the increase in scores happens or not, but I guess I do feel good that other people (besides us lowly YMCA-ers) thought that the scoring was crazy-hard as well... apparently enough to make a stink about it.

Wow, those must have been some harsh judges! Hope she has a great meet this weekend!

That is interesting I have never seen or heard that done before. Anyway good luck to your daughter this weekend I hope she gets her qualifying score.

I have never heard of adjusting all the girls scores well after the meet is over. Good luck to your dd on getting that score this weekend and then you don't have to hold your breath to see if this rumor is true.

I've never heard of it happening either... I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it seems like a slippery slope. If the gyms who are lodging the complaints get their way, then will they do the same thing the next time they're not happy with the scores? And having different judges that judge differently seems like it's just part of the sport. On the other... the scoring seemed WAY out of line with what I had seen at previous meets, and apparently the judges, when pressed, had ideas about what was required at the level that were not completely correct. But in that case, it seems as though asking the judges to review the scoring for the different levels before they judge another meet might be more appropriate. But I have no idea how any of this works.

I've only experienced this once when my dd was a level 5. I think it was the first year they had the current compulsory routine put in place. The judges for some reason had just come back from some type of clinic and were so hard on the scoring that out of 55 gymnasts only 5 barely qualified for sectionals (which is only a 31 AA in my state) You know something is wrong when the top 3 in an age level didn't qualify. At the end of the meet the coaches from most of the teams were "talking loudly" so judges would get the hint that they better lighten up or they won't have any one for sectionals never mind states. A week later everyones scores were upped and at least 1/2 the group qualified.

Never heard of this happening before...not sure I like the idea of changing scores after delivered (except immediately after an event when they realize the made a mistake and change it right then and there, but not for everyone)...anyway, I agree with MaryA in that maybe someone should have a talk with the judges and find out what when wrong rather than change scores, and make sure they understand what they are judging before being allowed to do another meet...but complaining and having it get scores changed, well it just seems wrong somehow.

So, an update. They did increase the scores for this meet by 2 points, official as of yesterday. As far as qualifying for sectionals went, it didn't end up mattering to Kathy, but I am relieved for a friend of Kathy's. She did really well at this meet (not totally polished, but all skills solid) and really should have qualified. Now she's down to one meet left to qualify (we compete at a number of YMCA meets but they don't count) and she is NOT one who does well under pressure. The idea that this was her ONE last chance to qualify for sectionals and to get her move-up score was scaring her to death and was not boding well for her performance at this week's meet. Now that the scores have been changed and she did qualify, the pressure is off, and I expect she'll have a really good meet this weekend.

Glad your daughter's friend qualified. I still think that's so weird that they changed scores!

Glad your daughter's friend qualified. I still think that's so weird that they changed scores!
I agree, and didn't quite believe it, even when the coach said she thought it was going to happen. The scores were posted a few days after the meet and then abruptly taken down. I'm not sure I'll believe it 100% until I see the scores reposted with the change, but coach says she has 100% confirmation.

That is interesting kind of shows how subjective this sport can be. Anyway that is great that her friend qualifyed. I can understand how the pressure of needing to qualify can be stressful. Since my daughter qualifyed for states this past weekend she is like a new kid. She also has a meet this weekend and is looking forward to competing without the added pressure to qualify.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back