there should be an INJURY forum

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

for people who have recently had an injury to get help from gymnasts who have had the same injury, and for encouraging stories of how they got back after their injury

I'd be hesitant to start such a section, simply because it would encourage people to seek medical advice here on the forums.

Medical advice should not come from semi-anonymous forum-goers -- it should come from a doctor who has given you an examination in real life.

I know I would like an injury category. I'm having ACL surgery next week and I'd like to see how people here have progressed through their physical therapy.

I know I would like an injury category. I'm having ACL surgery next week and I'd like to see how people here have progressed through their physical therapy.

THen make a specific thread about it and ask. But as GT said the legal implications of members handing out "medical advice" are huge, especially in the US. SO we will not be having a forum dedicated to the subject.

maybe an alternative would be a group for "sidelined gymmies/former gymmies", for gymnasts who aren't active, but don't coach or judge or have a kid? if that makes sense. that way maybe gymmies who are too old but want to still be involved in the community or are hurt or left to pursue other interests but still love gymnastics could have a place? i like the idea of talking to other gymnasts who have dealt with injuries but totally understand that the problems that come from people trying to get medical advice from a forum (esp some of us gymmies who are so against going to the doctor and toughing it out!!)

Don't see anything wrong with a moderated forum

While the concerns about people seeking/getting inapplicable medical advice are valid, those could be pre-empted by clear rules against same and by deleting any posts that violate those rules.

Here's a true story. My daughter broke her fifth metatarsal several years ago and Canadian Olympian Gael Mackie suffered the same injury at almost about the same time. I sent Ms. Mackie get well wishes and mentioned my daughter and Ms. Mackie sent a reply giving my daughter encouragement to get over her injury. I know that it boosted her morale, and we have been Gael Mackie fans ever since.

If we can have beam and bars fairies, why not injury fairies?

Also, having specific threads for individual injuries does not solve the medical advice problem. It is actually worse than having a forum with clearly stated rules against discussing medical advice.

Last edited:
While the concerns about people seeking/getting inapplicable medical advice are valid, those could be pre-empted by clear rules against same and by deleting any posts that violate those rules.

Here's a true story. My daughter broke her fifth metatarsal several years ago and Canadian Olympian Gael Mackie suffered the same injury at almost about the same time. I sent Ms. Mackie get well wishes and mentioned my daughter and Ms. Mackie sent a reply giving my daughter encouragement to get over her injury. I know that it boosted her morale, and we have been Gael Mackie fans ever since.

If we can have beam and bars fairies, why not injury fairies?

Also, having specific threads for individual injuries does not solve the medical advice problem. It is actually worse than having a forum with clearly stated rules against discussing medical advice.

We're still trying to work out a policy.

I think thats a good idea because, i pulled my tenden in my foot really bad , and the docter said " If i pull my tenden again, i have 2 get surgey"

thnxs :)

for people who have recently had an injury to get help from gymnasts who have had the same injury, and for encouraging stories of how they got back after their injury

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back