They're just little kids!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

wallinbl

Proud Parent
I get that it's a competitive sport (and I'm a competitive person) and that parents like to be involved in their kids' sports (and I'm involved/highly interested in my kids' sports). I get that you want the best for your kid and success for your kid. I get that you envy the girl that appears to the the coach's pet or that gets skills faster or gets to move up early (and I look at some talented kids and wish that my kids were so talented). It's natural.

What I don't get is disparaging other kids for being coach's pet or doing better than teammates, tearing them down for whatever reason you've invented that bothers you about them. They're just little kids and the ones that are irking you are probably working their tails off, despite your impression that it all just comes easy to them and they were born with perfect form. No doubt some got more from their genes than others, but that's not a reason to attack them or their parents.

What these kids can do is amazing and cool and should be applauded. Watching the best girl at your gym do well isn't much different than watching Gabrielle Douglas on TV - it's a chance to watch what great things can happen when people work hard. If you can't enjoy it (even when it's not your kid), then just keep your mouth shut!

And, yes, I've been guilty of these shortcomings myself.

Ha, I used to watch Gabrielle Douglas when she was a little kid. She was amazing back then too. Competing a full on beam and double back beam dismount when she was maybe 10 or 11 by my count, that was unheard of in my state (not one of the gymnastics mecca areas). Even for a child working with some of the top optional coaches in the state.

So, I agree.

I too am guilty of looking in awe of another little one's talent. However, I try very hard at keeping things in perspective. Sports should be viewed as a tool for teaching all of life lessons in what should be a more relaxed atmosphere. I worry a lot when I see a parent go overboard in respect of their desire to see his/her child get ahead. I agree with the poster that we all want our children to do their best, and if their best means that they win then awesome. But his/her best may NOT always lead to winning. One of DD's HCs once said that children need to fail in order to understand what hard work is. She also said that some parents pull their kid before giving that child time to resolve his/her conflict. They pull at the first sign of struggle. These are the life lessons that ground me and why I keep my children in sports. DD has said before. "I stink at bars!" She now sets goals for herself and one that ranks at the top is "make my squat on!" She knows that if she works hard at practice while on bars the more that sucess will transfer at a meet.
DD has had a long time struggle with her squat on. Yet, this kid has ALWAYS smiled. She has shed her tears, but she has ALWAYS moved on. She doesn't sweat the small stuff! She teaches me everyday that even though she is little, she can muster the strength and courage to move along in whatever she desires to do. I am amazed by her daily!!
DD has also struggled with her share of craziness from other parents, but to this day she doesn't comment negatively about it. She tells me what she hears, and we talk about it. My new thing with her is to ensure her that she is no less of a gymnast than anyone, but that in the same token she is to always treat everyone with respect. What she says to the little one who constantly makes belittling comments to her is, "I'm happy for you. And I did pretty good myself." I want her to always hold her head up. But my biggest goal with her is to ensure that she will never be the cause of hurting someone else's self-esteem. If the biggest legacy we leave is that we are remembered as a good and geniune person, then that is what we are called here on earth to accomplish. That is at least my opinion.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back