This week I accomplished...2010 version

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I got to use the.strap bar today, it was so much fun because i got to do some awesome tap swings without having to worry about regripping or peeling off! and my glide swing is so much better now I have to learn how to bruise my shins for working on my Kip LOL

lol nice Nicci. I've had bruises on both shins since November. I'm glad that's a normal thing when learning your kip and not just me. And I agree, the strap bar is super fun.

I was told to aim for my shins getting to the bar, so my rationalization was, I want to basically learn to hit my shins and bruise them right? Well, apparently, yes, that is the goal :p According to one of the girls on team she said that her shins used to bleed from banging them so much!!

I was told to aim for my shins getting to the bar, so my rationalization was, I want to basically learn to hit my shins and bruise them right? Well, apparently, yes, that is the goal :p According to one of the girls on team she said that her shins used to bleed from banging them so much!!

You need to have some form of flexibility before attempting the kip right? My forehead/nose is nowhere near touching my shins but with legs together, I can touch the ends of my feet with toes pointed. Is that adequate flexibility? I don't think so but my coach apparently does and has started working me on my kip. Bruising shins? Wow, I wasn't prepared for that! :)

On another happier note, I got my first leotard from ebay today! It's a used one though but it's still in good condition. AUD$9 in total plus shipping! Cheap! :D

If your coach feels youre ok to work on it, than full steam ahead! Coach knows best right?? But yes, plan on lots of bruising, there is a reason why the bars have attachable foam pieces to them I'm sure lol. Can't wait till tomorrow to try out my new skills again!! I love ebay for leos, I got an awesome bear affair one off of it!

Don't forget the rips!! I kept count until I got 5 in one practice. That's when my coach officially named me a "real" gymnast.

I had a good day yesterday. We had too many people show up so I didn't get a lot of turns but my back handspring is good enough that I'm being pressured to work on my ro-bhs again. Also my spot on my standing back tuck just consist of my coach touching me. Maybe next week I'll let him just stand by me. And I only tried one kip on my way to conditioning but I made it so that's a 100% for yesterday.

Katy,

Interesting that you get a big rebound out of your far arm roundoff. I have been given it as a drill to help my roundoff have more power, but I find them hard and don't get a very big roundoff at all. You probably are a pretty powerful tumbler? Anyway that's a good sign you can do them at all, they are hard!

If your coach feels youre ok to work on it, than full steam ahead! Coach knows best right?? But yes, plan on lots of bruising, there is a reason why the bars have attachable foam pieces to them I'm sure lol. Can't wait till tomorrow to try out my new skills again!! I love ebay for leos, I got an awesome bear affair one off of it!

Haha yea! I got it for like $9! Very cheap! The lady selling it was clearing her daughter's leotards cuz she's outgrown them. That leotard was sized for age 13-15 and I'm 22 lol. :p My bars in my gym don't have foam pieces on it, I often get some sort of bruising on my hips from casting. :)

Don't forget the rips!! I kept count until I got 5 in one practice. That's when my coach officially named me a "real" gymnast.

I had a good day yesterday. We had too many people show up so I didn't get a lot of turns but my back handspring is good enough that I'm being pressured to work on my ro-bhs again. Also my spot on my standing back tuck just consist of my coach touching me. Maybe next week I'll let him just stand by me. And I only tried one kip on my way to conditioning but I made it so that's a 100% for yesterday.

Have only had one rip so far and a tiny one! Hehehe!

we had our t&t state meet yesterday. i decided the night before that i was going to see how the wrist felt for tumbling...a little stiff, but i did my two passes! i was soooo dizzy because i have tumbled in so long.
i was the only level 7, 15 and over for tumbling, double mini, and trampoline.
regionals is next month for t&t, and the week before that is artistic state meet. i'm a little concerned because i have been practicing the artistic because if the wrist.

I had a good night. I got my front layout on the tramp properly instead of just throwing it and hoping I land on my feet.

I landed all my front handsprings on the rod floor although only 1 was pretty. I missed my first one on the spring floor, landed the 2nd one but landed it a bit weird and tweaked my ankle so I stopped working on the floor at that point.

It amazes me when my coach can give me 1 tip and it fixes a skill completely. My back handsprings were a bit weird on my first turn. He gave me 1 tip and then it felt great. He also started me back on RO-BHS again. Instead of just throwing them on the tumbletrak I did the RO on the tumbletrak and then the BHS onto a mat in the pit. Way less scary that way. I had landed a few weird last time we did them on the tumbletrak and I'm so glad he came up with this alternative for now. Needlesstosay only one of them was BHS and the rest of my tries ended up being layouts but we'll fix that next week. I get a little over excited when I have 2 tricks in a row and go early on the 2nd. I do the same thing with my handspring front on the tumbletrak and don't set at all on my tuck.

Also, to my surprise, after practice and conditioning I was still able to make 2 kips as I was walking past the bar on my way to the water fountain. It's good to know I can it even when I'm exhausted.

Front full on tumbletrak.

I just need to not be an idiot and work out with my hand in a thumb splint, but...it was there. and a tumbletrak.

More people in the class last night. Didn't like it much. :)

My coach finally convinced me that a back hip circle was nothing to be afraid of and she was right. Gotta just grit my teeth and do it. My glide swings are fine, she just needs to work me on my kips. Pullover's so so. SIGH. The place where I had my first rip had a skin tear and the right hand knuckle middle finger skin also tore and it was blood red but it was not bleeding lol. I was trying too many glide swings on my own lol.

Couldn't land my front sault from the tramp. I open up before I land.

My cartwheels are becoming more upright! Question, do any of you feel like your body seems very 'light' when you're upside down during the cartwheel? Cuz that's how I felt lol.

JMR, congrats on the kip!!

Nothing too exciting about Wednesday's practice. I got a dime sized rip on each hand but I managed to make a push-away kip.

I FINALLY got my kip today! Also finally went for the back tuck off beam. We have a meet on the 2nd so wish me luck!
Grats on the Kip and good luck on the 2nd!!!
I have a possible torn meniscus so I have not trained in a week so I have been conditioning and lo and behold I can do a full chin up(an accomplishment almost more monumental to me than new skills) . So I guess there is an upside to being injured LOL

awesome nicci! a full hanging chin up (where you hang with arms straight and feet not touching the ground and then do the chip up), or a standing chin up (where your feet are on the ground, while you're holding the bar and then you do the chin up - but you don't jump)?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back