This week I accomplished...2010 version

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Katy sorry about your wrist, hope it heals fully soon, but good job on the kick out I am trying to imagine what it looks like in my head and it looks really cool LOL.
At practice yesterday at the adult class I attend at another gym, the coach was using me as the Guinea pig to show other people. I felt kind of silly but at the same time it kind if made me swell up with importance LOL. So that was kind of nice at the same time

Last edited:
So I competed in a ladies division meet yesterday and it went well. My session was level 6, 7 and Ladies and we rotated with 6/7's. They were all very nice and impressed with my skills for a 24 year old! I was worried about competing with little kids but it was a great experience.

Vault 8.55 3rd
Bars 9.35 1st
Beam 8.9 1st
Floor 8.85 2nd
AA 35.65 1st

For my first meet in 9 years I was happy with my results, made all my routines with no falls. Now I am ready for another meet but can't find any ladies division meet's before the July Disney meet.

I have a video of the meet but I am not sure how to post it on here. So if anyone wants to see just let me know how I can post it :)

What is a straight straight?
I had a fabulous practice last night. Think I am on the right track to my goal of getting on team! Discovered I can do my pullover on a block, so I don't reqiure the spring from the spring board to do a proper pullover which was a super ego booster for me because that means I am that much closer to being able to do pullover with no assistance! Gotta kept working on the back hip circles so it is smooth, but a least I think I got over the fear I devdloped on. And I need to work on my undershoots as well, I am having problems reaching the candle stick position

Congrats on having a great practice!

A straight-straight is a straight-arm, straight-body press handstand (ie through a planche)

Whoa? You have no idea whatsoever what brought on the ability to do these? Nice job though.

Well, I've been working on them, but after months of slow progress and still not being very close, I just came in one day and did them without much trouble. It's like I just suddenly got a LOT stronger overnight.

So I competed in a ladies division meet yesterday and it went well. My session was level 6, 7 and Ladies and we rotated with 6/7's. They were all very nice and impressed with my skills for a 24 year old! I was worried about competing with little kids but it was a great experience.

Vault 8.55 3rd
Bars 9.35 1st
Beam 8.9 1st
Floor 8.85 2nd
AA 35.65 1st

For my first meet in 9 years I was happy with my results, made all my routines with no falls. Now I am ready for another meet but can't find any ladies division meet's before the July Disney meet.

I have a video of the meet but I am not sure how to post it on here. So if anyone wants to see just let me know how I can post it :)

Thats great!! Congratulations!! I'd love to see a video - just stick it up on youtube and post a link, or post your username so we can search for it.

yay! great gymnastics!!
check with your coach about a "B" turn on floor. i was told that it is required. either a full and a half turn, or leg a horizontal fulfills that requirement.
you did amazing, keep it up.

So nothing overly big today but I decided for kicks and giggles I would try a switch leap. Yup, I can do them. I was kind of surprised at myself

JD, I am wondering how long you have been in gymnastics and how many hours a week do you train? Do you work out w/ a team? We have really similar routines and styles :) You really put together a great meet! Hopefully I'll see you at AAU meets in the future.

I managed to do a front somersault on the tramp without the wedge to forward roll on to! :p Granted I landed on my bum, but it's progress!:p The wedge had actually become a hindrance lol. :p I also tried a full turn on the floor (in preparation for beam) but I only managed to turn 3/4 before losing my balance! :( Any tips for that? I also tried the wolf jump on the floor beam. Fun! :)

Congrats JD! You looked awesome in that meet! :)

I managed to do a front somersault on the tramp without the wedge to forward roll on to! :p Granted I landed on my bum, but it's progress!

Sounds like me! I keep putting my hands back and landing on my bum with my hands behind me.. I KNOW I need to jump up more and land with hands out front, but somehow that's not getting through to my body!

Started working on my kip tonight! At this rate I'll probably get it in about 20 years, lol. My glide swing is fine, it's just the 2nd half thats a complete disaster.

Sounds like me! I keep putting my hands back and landing on my bum with my hands behind me.. I KNOW I need to jump up more and land with hands out front, but somehow that's not getting through to my body!

Started working on my kip tonight! At this rate I'll probably get it in about 20 years, lol. My glide swing is fine, it's just the 2nd half thats a complete disaster.

Oh yea! My coach told me too! She said my back was too straight, that's why I tended to land on my back. She kept telling me to tuck my chin into my chest. I know most people do the tuck mid air naturally but I find it helpful to follow the Chinese way (I say it like that cuz I seem to only see them doing it in their front punch fronts on beam) of having the arms in the air and using that to tuck into a "ball". She also said I need to jump higher...she was, "Do you have a fear of jumping high? You're very cautious!" LOL. I think I've become alot less fearless after I fell off the beam last year doing my stag leap lol. Back then, I was alot more fearless compared to now. :p

Zemirah, try to do a couple of tuck-ins on the floor first, if you do it right, you will feel like you're going to fall forward. Then, apply that onto the tramp. I find that visualising helps. I'm also working on my kip. I can do the glide swing alright now...just the 2nd bit. :p

Yay, chalkbucket is back!

AndromedaAiken - what is a tuck-in on floor?

No exciting news here, still working on my kip and handstand-bridge-kickover with a block.

I'm so glad chalk bucket is back!!

Monday was a pretty good night. I've been going crooked on my flip flops for a few weeks and fixed that after a few drills. I also have my standing back tuck by myself (with my coach standing next to me) on the tumble trak. And my kips are getting way better. I think I only missed 2 during the half hour I was working them and I'm finishing with my arms straight on most and some even had a bit of a cast on them. I only got 1 rip which in itself is a major accomplishment.

GikiGirl - I competed gymnastics level's 4-9 from 1994-2001. I do not practice with a team, I coach the team at my gym so I can not practice with them. I work out twice a week for two hours before their practice starts, my little sister actually just watches me so I am not in the gym alone. My Dad coached me when I was in gymnastics in my younger days and I wish he could get to the gym early to coach me now, it's hard working out without a coach. I actually video myself alot and then watch the videos and try to correct myself. I will be at the AAU Nationals at Disney in July maybe I will see you there!!!

katy - A "B" turn is not required on floor for level 8 but thanks for thinking to point that out to me.

Thanks everyone for the positive thoughts, I am really looking forward to my next meet and getting back to practice this week. Our gym moved into a new building last week so I didn't practice all week. I started practice again Tuesday and I am sore today after only taking one week off!!!!

Yay, chalkbucket is back!

AndromedaAiken - what is a tuck-in on floor?

No exciting news here, still working on my kip and handstand-bridge-kickover with a block.

Yea I'm so glad it's back too! Zemirah, the tuck-in on the floor (my version at least...it is quite dangerous in my opinion and I was not doing it at full strength because I would actually knock my head against the floor. No one I know has tried or suggested this. :)) Basically, you stand with your arms straight up against your head, then you jump into a tuck with your chin to your chest. You will feel the same motion as you will kind of feel when you so a front somi on the tramp. However, it is dangerous because the momentum of your head tucking in will cause your body to fall forward ;) so I don't recommend trying it at full strength unless you have someone to watch you. Come to think of it, what I did was really dangerous but I survived ;). I'm not doing it again though, I think I realised the danger after it was "too late".

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back