Parents Thoughts on down time at gym

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gothgymmom

Proud Parent
Hey, me again. Was just thinking of something that has been bugging me. At our gym, sometimes all of the levels will get together and do thier warm-downs as a game, or even in the middle of practice they will have an all gym game. Before Christmas, the girls practiced and then played gym games. Some of the other parents I talked to were mad because "they pay too much money for this kind of games, we pay for practice, not games" kind of attitude. I thought it was nice as they girls got to relax a bit and enjoy the company of the other gymnasts and the coaches and had fun doing it. The games are quite fun to watch and are very entertaining. I didnt want to get into an argument with the parents so I kept my mouth shut, but I wanted your opinions on that. Do you get upset with gym games or down time at practices or do you think its nice for the gymnasts to relax at gym every once in a while?

Well thats what I think too, but I guess some parents think its a waste of their money for their child to have some fun playing games when it should be time to "practice".

I think games are a fun way of bonding with the girls and the coaches. Once those complaining parents have been around awhile longer, they'll be complaining there aren't enough games and downtime!

the parents have been there for years now, so they should be used to it, but i hear then complain all the time. we have only been at the gym for maybe about 3 years or so and im not sure how long they have been there but i know its longer than me. i also do see the hidden conditioning in it, and i think its a great idea.

At my DS's first gym, the team boys always ended practice with a game that was a way to disguise some conditioning. The boys loved it. I have been a little frustrated at our new gym that they don't let the kids have any fun time at the end of practice. The girls seem to have a little more "internal motivation" and don't mind only occasional fun times; but for the younger boys they LOVE that fun time and it really helps to keep them motivated and focused the rest of the time IMO. I know that my 9 yo DS is likely to really make a point to giving his all in practice if you dangle the chance to do some fun time (which to him is working on some fun, new skills on tumble track) for 5-10 minutes at the end of practice. Seems to me that it is a win win - the kids work harder in practice for that reward and then the reward is either conditioning in a game or some fun uptraining.

games break the monotony. everybody does it in some form.

I think games are great! Especially if you can make them so that you are getting kids to do more skills and/or conditioning! When I was in gym we would play a stick game on beam where we would be on teams and go through skills. Different skills were worth different points. It motivated me to do things that normally I wouldn't be so inclined to do if we were just practicing. In addition to sneaking in extra skills/conditioning, I think it makes stronger bonds between teammates. Plus its always good to mix things up once in a while!

I think it is a good idea to have a little "fun" in the gym, my eldest dd's group nearly always has 10 mins or so funtime at the end of session if they have behaved enough, they get free time to go on whatever they like, sometimes they play a ball game (it would be nice to see the coaches get involved and have some fun) and sometimes they go on the trampoline, play in the foam pit ot swing on the rings or bars.

I have seen and heard at times that the senior coaches like to get involved with the stretching at the end to try and see if they can beat the kids or keep up with them, it has been known for them to "compete" against each other to the amusement of the kids.

Once during a weekend session the head coach thought it would be fun for all the various groups were training that day to all come together and then get divided into teams (both girls and boys squads mixed) and then do various tasks around the gym and see what team won (plenty of sneaky conditioning going on with that one as it involved running down the floor square to throw balls into a hoop, pull up challenges and so on).

Sometimes a game helps their training enormously. Sometimes the group just gets into a low, their energy drops, their tightness drops and they just don't get much out of their training when they are like that.

A quick game or a fun activity just picks up their energy so they can train properly again.

DD's team plays games at the end of practice on Fridays. The girls love them as it is a great way to have some fun after a hard week of practice. The games always have a conditioning element to them. They are fun for the parents and the girls. I don't mind that some of the time I've paid for is for games. After a grueling practice, games have the girls leaving the gym on a high note.

I love it when they play games! The girls look like they are having so much fun and I think it's great for team building and for socialization. It's one of the few times that my daughter is with teammates of her same age and I think she needs that.

I do understand where the other parents are coming from but I think that they are being slightly silly about it. However, parents in our gym get very angry when our kids are pulled out of practice for 20 minutes to go set up stations for the rec kids before they begin class....especially when the rec coaches are sitting on their butts in the break room. The owner heard about that one from several parents!

But games, especially games that involve conditioning, have so much value to these kids!

I think those complaining parents need to relax and try to remember the simple joys of childhood. Games are not only great fun, they are also valuable ways to sneak in conditioning and/or learning. Our kids give up so much "free time". I can't understand why a parent would want to deprive them of some fun during training.

We play games... occasionally... and only if the girls have been working hard. If we have had a particularly frustrating week of beam practice (L4 + Optionals), coach will sometimes decide to do a skill off... L4 has to do cartwheel (or Mandaters can do BWO if they choose, but they don't yet, lol)... and Optionals have to do an acro skill from their routine (handstand does NOT count).
There are the same number of L4 as total Optionals, so it is a fair "fight." The "Winners" get to use the airtrak for 15-20 minutes OR they get to lead warm up or conditioning the next practice. Or it will be that among all of the L4 + girls, they have to make x # of acro on beam or the L3 will lead warm up and conditioning... and those L3 can be ruthless little dictators :D.

We also play whole team Games like Ships & Sailors, Natural Disasters, Relay Races, Handstand Contests, etc. I love it when they are put into groups and are given lists of skills and drills they have to do (with stipulations like EVERYONE has to do at least 1 of this, or no more than 10 in a row from someone, or only 1 person on a bar at a time, etc). With this one, it is OBVIOUS that they are training while playing, even to them, but they still love it.

LOVE when they play fun games- they are KIDS! Plus, DD needs cardio- and tag/chase/running games are perfect ways to sneak it in. Also, it's a great fun way to end a practice on a high note. Too many kids are winded after their floor routine- more cardio is needed!!!

Also reminds me of bosses who complain about employees chatting about non-work things during working hours--not what they're getting paid to do! But studies show that productivity goes up when people like their coworkers and get breaks to chat, etc. during the day. Why would gymnastics be any different? I was complaining a few months back (before my DD quit club) that they weren't having any fun days anymore. If it's all work and no fun, most girls aren't going to stick around for the long haul.

DD's gym (which I would classify as "highly intense") frequently will play games. One coach in particular who is super duper tough will end each beam session with DD's group with a game with the girls. The kids look forward to it, and as a parent, it makes her seem much more relatable and frankly less scary (her coaches can be intimidating to say the least). Seeing her end with a game and hugs goes a long way, and the girls work very hard for her to ensure they get to play the game. her other coaches will play games on occasion as well. It is nice to see them let their hair down, laugh a bit and have some fun. Even the level 10's will play a game from time to time- and they appear to LOVE it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back